Page 11 of 11 First 791011

Thread: Please allow us to use the already-integrated docking computer.

I also feel the Docking Computer should be a software package not a optional internal slot, you can still charge for it, but it would be like the new night vision or FA, you can just switch it off or on.

Things don’t have to make sense in a computer game,we’re all fine with travelling many times the speed light because the alternative would be a very different experience.

Given the difference of option. I guess the most reasonable solution is to leave it exactly as it is. For now.

Originally Posted by 777Driver View Post (Source)
    Thousands of landings, can land the ship FA-OFF in my sleep, having a DC on my freighters doesn't affect my earning potential, what is wrong with having a module that takes over when I don't feel like landing? My car parks itself, doesn't mean I don't know how to park.
    It is just a bit strange to have an autopilot like that in a game which is about flying a space ship. Also landing isn't as hard as it apparently was in the old games, where the DC had a real purpose.

Originally Posted by 777Driver View Post (Source)
    Thousands of landings, can land the ship FA-OFF in my sleep, having a DC on my freighters doesn't affect my earning potential, what is wrong with having a module that takes over when I don't feel like landing? My car parks itself, doesn't mean I don't know how to park.
    is your frieighter by chance either an imperial cutter, anaconda or type7?

would you say the same about a FDL or Mamba, that one internal slot wasted doesn't change much?

Originally Posted by Bunkerkind Anni View Post (Source)
    is your frieighter by chance either an imperial cutter, anaconda or type7?

would you say the same about a FDL or Mamba, that one internal slot wasted doesn't change much?
    T9/T-10/Conda/Cutter.

Slot restricted ships (like sidy, and ships you mentioned) don't think anyone would stick a DC on there unless they are just casual gamer's that don't care much for an optimal build. Still it is down to personal choice. The Cobra is quite limited, I have a DC on my smuggling Cobra, wouldn't put one on my PvP Cobra.

@B1rdy - I honestly don't see anything weird about having an autopilot on an advanced space ship, in the same way I see no problem with a Tesla Autopilot on a car, or triple channel autopilot on a commercial airliner, autopilots on modern cruise liners and warships: Or the Space shuttle having a completely automated Launch and approach sequence.

Fortunately heavy automation is not forced upon us in ED, still believe we should have more of it (as an option)

I'd be happy with a cruise autopilot, so I can FSS scan enroute, or check the galmap/codex. Not gonna happen though.

I'd agree from a common sense/logical/sci-fi point of view there's no reason to have a slot for a docking computer. I'd never use one anyway. DOcking is part of the game and I like it I guess there's some issues and a debate to be hard around slots being freed up but meh..

I finally figured out why the docking computer takes up as much space as a couple tons of cargo! The art and science of the "autopilot" was lost over the many years since 2018, but thankfully an explorer found the SpaceX Telsa in our outer solar system. They realized this strange artifact from the distant past has an inscrutable autopilot feature, and since the scientists of 3304 are too dumb to reverse-engineer it, they just replicated the entire vehicle in mass quantities and plug it into our ships controls. THIS is your docking computer!

It also explains where our RemLock suits came from

Originally Posted by B1rdy View Post (Source)
    It is just a bit strange to have an autopilot like that in a game which is about flying a space ship.
    It's not really that strange though, is it?

Our ships have already demonstrated they can take off and land by themselves.

Also landing isn't as hard as it apparently was in the old games, where the DC had a real purpose.
    I can't tell if you're being deliberately obtuse or not, but it has been said dozens of times in this thread already that people aren't using the docking computer because they find landing "hard".

It is just a bit strange to have an autopilot like that in a game which is about flying a space ship. Also landing isn't as hard as it apparently was in the old games, where the DC had a real purpose.
    1. the game is not "about flying a space ship", not only - its also about combat, trading, mining, etc... having fun
    -> you could also say its a game about traveling around the milkyway (thats actually an advertised core features), yet you accept that the game does the pathfinding for you without a module?
    2. there are real games that are "about flying" something, and as far as i remember, they do offer autopilot landings on some planes, since, well, the real planes got them too

Seems a pretty clear matter to me?

Can the game do it? Yes - The module/mechanic is already in the game.

Do some players want to use auto-docking, but can't? Yes - Many players want it, but can't use it as it "costs" them a module slot.

Is there any reason why not to let all players have it as standard? No - What's gained by forcing another player to forgoe it?

If everyone has it as standard, if you don't want to use it, don't. If you do, then do. What is the negative outcome to and CMDR in truth?

Heck, I've never used the docking computer, but there have been a couple of times I'd like to have... What would have been the problem to any other CMDR if I could have used it on those occasions (as it was available as standard)?