Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 58910

Thread: Please allow us to use the already-integrated docking computer.

I think we should make the docking computer a larger module. It should also have docking limpets that weigh a ton each that guide the ship into the hangar, and you'll need a controller for those. So Docking computer probably size 3, docking limpet controller size 2, and the docking limpets can only be synthesized not bought.

Oh and if someone uses an electronic counter measure next to you while docking, your ship should explode. This isn't considered a crime.

I mean, FE2 had an autopilot that could do literally all your flight tasks for you, and the game wasn't any less fun for it. You could fast-forward time, too, but I'm not asking for that. It did take up one tonne of internal space, though, so I guess that's something.

Basically, tedium is tedium. Docking as a skill should only be tested a) when it's part of an 'event', like the Thargoid-damaged stations or b) for fun/immersion/what have you.

Speaking of, damaged stations are really fun because it has you docking in a hazardous environment. This bodes well for any future rescue mission variants.

Originally Posted by FatFreddysCoat View Post (Source)
    “Which integrated docking computer?” I hear you say.

The one that allows your ship to launch and land again when commanded to from the SRV.

C’mon FDev - you cant deny it’s there: let us use it without having to install a separate module.
    You know, he's got a point. Bit silly that what amounts to a computer program for our already-much-automated ships takes up tonnage and space.

Originally Posted by Bob McBobblehead View Post (Source)
    I don't mind have it integrated, as long as you can disable it from the ships modules panel.
    Yes, please this!

Again, why is this still not standard next to 'request docking'?. FD should put this in de latest update of this year as a surprise. HINT FDev.

Originally Posted by lokvette View Post (Source)
    Said this yonks ago, and I'm an avid user of it.

Why in 34th century a ship that can transverse witch space, etc etc does not have an integrated docking computer the size of a cpu and not the 2 ton it needs its own slot, that syncs with the astronomically large space stations traffic control is still beyond me.

- I - M - M - E - R - S - I - O - N - ! -

Yes, from day one I think I've been asking why isn't it just a standard feature on all ships... What important gameplay mechanic is there to using up a slot to allow a CMDR just to auto dock?

Originally Posted by NeilF View Post (Source)

- I - M - M - E - R - S - I - O - N - ! -

Yes, from day one I think I've been asking why isn't it just a standard feature on all ships... What important gameplay mechanic is there to using up a slot to allow a CMDR just to auto dock?
    Well... because... "reasons"... lol

Yeah, 1000 years from now we opt to not have technology assisting us with simple tasks like "docking".

This whole debate around the docking computer (especially those mocking its existence and use) reminds me of the movie iRobot, where in the future all cars are self-driving and the user needs to "activate" manual driving. IIRC, the ability manually drive a car wasn't just granted to just anyone, either.

So in 3304, not only should all ships be equipped with docking computers, but they should be turned on by default, and a CMDR should have a certain number of flying hours under his belt before he can request the privilege to dock manually.

Originally Posted by Old Duck View Post (Source)
    This whole debate around the docking computer (especially those mocking its existence and use) reminds me of the movie iRobot, where in the future all cars are self-driving and the user needs to "activate" manual driving. IIRC, the ability manually drive a car wasn't just granted to just anyone, either.

So in 3304, not only should all ships be equipped with docking computers, but they should be turned on by default, and a CMDR should have a certain number of flying hours under his belt before he can request the privilege to dock manually.
    And instead of Pilots Federation there would be Autopilot Federation with up to Elite ranks in Docking, Launching and Supercruising. They would hire human pilots when they would get bored, to spice things up a bit

Originally Posted by Mangal Oemie View Post (Source)
    Remove the docking computer from the game, and you make it much harder for the botting army.
    Feel free to remove the docking computer from the PC version of the game. We console players don't have to worry about bots.

Better yet, just make ED a console exclusive. You PC types are holding back the game

The game would become too easy if there were all the modules built into the ship. It's my opinion.

On the other hand, it would seem logical that this is the case (in the technological context in 3300s).

50/50.

Ideally, using the auto-docking should require spending data (for example), in order to prioritize manual docking.

Originally Posted by Psebcool View Post (Source)
    The game would become too easy if there were all the modules built into the ship. It's my opinion.

On the other hand, it would seem logical that this is the case (in the technological context in 3300s).

50/50.

Ideally, using the auto-docking should require spending data (for example), in order to prioritize manual docking.
    I'll go one better here... reputation level with the station in question should be earned at a level of Friendly or better... so Auto-dock simply won't be available at each and every location by default.

Then again... some people will consider having to earn anything in this game a "grind".

Originally Posted by Old Duck View Post (Source)
    Feel free to remove the docking computer from the PC version of the game. We console players don't have to worry about bots.

Better yet, just make ED a console exclusive. You PC types are holding back the game
    HAHA Down grade my PC to a console. I don't think so.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 58910