Thread: The FSS Mode should have been put into the Orrery

The FSS Mode should have been put into the Orrery

The new FSS we get in chapter 4 is very much tied to the Elite Dangerous design ethos of "it's all first person" - you see everything from where you currently are in the system.

This has led to (IMHO) a fairly clunky UI, which, to prevent people ending up halfway to the next star by the time they finish scanning, you have to throttle to zero to get into in the first place. And as you tend to start scanning as soon as you enter a system, this means the local star tends to obscure a lot of contacts, forcing you to fly somewhere else and scan again.

Then when looking for USSs you're endlessly spinning around to try and make sure there's none you've missed behind you (this could really be improved by increasing the range of the little direction arrows BTW).

I just can't help but think that if they'd put all that into the new orrery view it would have worked a lot better.

Going into FSS mode could start you in orrery fully zoomed out and once you honk large hazy blobs could be placed roughly over the part of the system they are supposed to be and the tuning could then resolve them as it does now - but in 3D not 2.

You would then be able to zoom around the system tuning and scanning to your hearts content, able to see clearly where everything is and how best to navigate around them.

I know this breaks the first person shtick, but then so does the galaxy map, not to mention the orrery itself as even as its currently implemented.

Too late now to change it now I know, but I thought I'd share my feelings anyway.

I think the idea is that until you focused on a signal and resolved it, that it is not clear how far away it is or what its orbit is. First-person is the only useful visualisation of this, unless you want to have cones to indicate the potential position of something, even less clear the more objects are near each other.

I looked at the Orrey. I moved it around. I tried to break it. It works.
    That'll probably be the last time I use it. I just don't like it.
    If I wanted to visit a planetarium, I'd visit a planetarium.

Originally Posted by IndigoWyrd View Post (Source)
    I looked at the Orrey. I moved it around. I tried to break it. It works.
    That'll probably be the last time I use it. I just don't like it.
    If I wanted to visit a planetarium, I'd visit a planetarium.
    Same here, but I'd probably use it more if it had an actual purpose.

Originally Posted by moorison View Post (Source)
    I think the idea is that until you focused on a signal and resolved it, that it is not clear how far away it is or what its orbit is. First-person is the only useful visualisation of this, unless you want to have cones to indicate the potential position of something, even less clear the more objects are near each other.
    Except they come up as unexplored in your nav panel with distance straight away, so it already has that, it just doesn't show you in the fss mode.