Page 11 of 316 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: The Thargoid and Fer-de-Lance

"Hey Garthyre! You busy? You ain't looking busy. Have I got a surprise for you!"

Frank checks the bar is clean, and carefully places down two leather-bound books, David Copperhead and Krait Expectations. He presents the books to Garthyre, who has now made her way over. "These are real books with real paper from trees an' all. Lucio said I could take them. Imagine someone sticking these in the trash. The things folks round here stick in the trash! They must be the richest folks in the galaxy. I reckon these books would look dandy on your bookcase."

Frank beams at Garthyre. His large genial smile shows perfect white teeth surrounded by dark wrinkly salt-and-pepper stubble. He proudly proclaims "Been collecting trash. Best job in the world. Much better than that back-breaking job of mining asteroids.

They got me working beside someone even more clumsy than me. Imagine how many fingers a feller has to lose before folks nickname him 'Fingers'. Well, the way it works is that I flies up to a spaceship and Fingers gets on the blower and tells them we there. They drops off their cargo canisters... Sealed canisters mind! Not your average trashcans. I scoops them up and takes them to a moo-niciple depot orbiting the third moon. That depot, that's a dark and dingy place." Frank stops talking for a second to survey his current surroundings, "No offence... So the first day there I gets out to help unload the trash. There's no need! It's all automatic. Carlucio said it was to make sure everything went fast.

The things people chuck out! Not just fancy books. I opened some cans and I saw diamonds and pearls and whiskey and furs. I says to the other other fellers, I say we got a great job doin' good honest work keeping folks ships clean and tidy. Well they just looked at each other and laughed. Yep! I got a great job working beside the jolliest people around."

Quiz night!

Agent Illu minti enters The Thargoid and Fer-de-Lance, "Hmm Atmosphere seems quiet in here tonight" Illu matters to himself. Transmission from Contact definitely said it was quiz night, Novelty prize to win(rare Findus beef lasagne!)

Hopefully some of the regulars will be in later, ah theres old man Frank(raving on about something, arm seems better, if not his mind!)
    Galcop here to, looks mean, ready to pick a fight(or someones pocket)

Think i will sit in a corner isolation booth, keep out of any disorder if it happens again! thought shes lost control, but Garthyres not to be messed with, Twenty Four Hours ban is enough for anyone.

Just take a quick look at the jukebox, Auto suggestion looks good, but there's a band on my mind already, quiz question really, if you can figure it out?
    No Love Lost if you cant! ...Caribou should get it!

*raises an eyebrow* I think our lovely hostess might have some problems in the kitchen... it's been a bit quiet on the counter... Hope she didn't recieve a shipment from that Fomalhaut Oatmeal Corporation... I heard they had some sort of parasitic infestation in their grain... nasty stuff.

Man... Lasagne... haven't had that in ages... let alone made out of Findus Beef... jinkies a fork of that is worth a fortune.

An old codger takes a sip of his neat whiskey. He takes his glass up to the Jukebox and asks it to show him the playlist. He mutters something to himself about Andy Kaufman.

He deposits a credit in the machine to cue a song from Dean Martin, "That's a Moray".

Frank coughs a little. His stomach emits a strange growl and he takes a sip of his whiskey to settle it. His drinking has slowed down his reactions. He blinks as he tries to focus on his glass. The realisation that it is empty saddens him.

He leans his head forward against the glass of the jukebox. He somehow manages to retrieve a credit from his pocket at deposit it in the slot. He mumbles at the machine. The drunken-slur-o-matic circuits work at full capacity to process the request. The bar is treated to a rendition of "Moon River" by Andy Williams.

Frank curls up into the foetal position on the floor with a look of contentment on his face. There's a split in the people left in the bar. Some like the song, and some hate it.

"The world is shining out there Frank, even though this is a Dark System it's light outside....", "Oh and Frank the boys say you are a stand up guy so I heard a tip from a friend - he said there are diamonds in some of these dark systems if you look hard enough - maybe you should get that ship and mining laser out there...."

"Well time to get home tonight - latka can you call me a taxi..."

*Strange premonition hits*

Puts the Meteorz on the jukebox ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7-ctQ_mMnw

I read the sign above the bar's entrance - "The Thargoid and Fer-de-Lance". As good a name as any, and a better one than many I've seen on my travels. As I reach the door, the music changes again, this time to psychobilly rock. Sounds like someone's playing jukebox ping pong. I've no problem with that, as long as I can join in.

Inside, the bar area is well lit, with the far corners of the room carefully unlit to give just the right level of dinginess for the solitary drinker. My kind of bar, if you ignore the 4D pool table. Never could get the hang of that game, even when sober.

Half the patrons are laughing at some guy over by the jukebox - apparently he's just been called a taxi. I glance warily at the door in case three different nationalities from an ethnic joke walk in, but thankfully it doesn't seem to be that kind of bar. I approach the bar counter and attract the hostess' attention.

"Hello stranger," she says, "Welcome to The Thargoid and Fer-de-Lance. My name's Garthyre and I'm the owner. What can I get you?"

Sometimes I remember my manners. "A pleasure to meet you, Garthyre. I'm Commander Jack Anderson. I'd like an Acturan Mega-gin, please."

"Coming right up! By the way, the first drink is on the house."

Definitely my kind of bar. Drink in hand, I wander over to the jukebox and put on "Quicker Than Liqua".

Come on people let's have a drink to our imperial friends.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lcRkaXOla4

"Ah ha, no winners on last nights quiz" as Illu surveys some interesting answers! "roll-over to next week then, Rare Findus beef lasagne, and a rare waitrose beef meatballs to!"

Old codger Frank was way out, a stand up comedian, Dean martin! and a quite likeable version of Moon River" by Andy Williams, Frank must be from another world!
    Caribous taste in music, spot on!(still listening now!) but alas not the band am looking for, and Andreas M knows how to treat imperial visitors, Yo Yo Darth Vader!

Noticed some new faces to, good, maybe they can be of some use to the Empire later. Will need some more ancient 20th century music vid/files delivered that i cant get hold of, just like the answer for last night

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQSpJfpVHmg...damn good band to! :smilie:

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post (Source)
    "Ah ha, no winners on last nights quiz" as Illu surveys some interesting answers! "roll-over to next week then, Rare Findus beef lasagne, and a rare waitrose beef meatballs to!"

Old codger Frank was way out, a stand up comedian, Dean martin! and a quite likeable version of Moon River" by Andy Williams, Frank must be from another world!
    Caribous taste in music, spot on!(still listening now!) but alas not the band am looking for, and Andreas M knows how to treat imperial visitors, Yo Yo Darth Vader!

Noticed some new faces to, good, maybe they can be of some use to the Empire later. Will need some more ancient 20th century music vid/files delivered that i cant get hold of, just like the answer for last night

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQSpJfpVHmg...damn good band to! :smilie:
    You know I did hover over this but decided on slightly more upbeat but Its definitely a goody

Frank looks miserable. He puts a hand to his temple to nurse his hangover "I feels a million years old. There was a Pub Quiz last night? I don't remember nothing. I just got this buzzing in ma ears like I was sleeping with my head in the jukebox. Weird dream too. Thought ma boss wuz singing 'Man on the Moon' to me". He rubs his bleary eyes and jolts when he notices Cap'n Caribou standing beside him. "Hi Cap'n. Fingers ain't up yet" He checks his watch.

Frank carefully makes his way to the jukebox and asks for last night's playlist. "Quicker Than Liqua? That'll do it. I hope you fellers don't mind if I play this again loud. Ahm gonna try melt this headache outta my skull"

I see the joy division are in.

Oh Frank. That's a Moray. Beautiful. Best one yet .

Sorry, I'm a little distracted at the moment. I feel the tug of alien suns and it may be time to...

I have Solarflare Brandy Innkeeper, it's been a long day. Been hunting down pirates around the local asteroids mining colonies, caught four & blasted seven a good days work needs a good brew to wash it away....

Quiz night goes on...First came "Klaatu barada nikto", then a band that had a lot in common with Jesus. It was a hit for this band in the year that the ancient queen Elizabeth from a small uninteresting landmass on Sol celebrated her Silver Jubilee...

Originally Posted by Caribou View Post (Source)
    Quiz night goes on...First came "Klaatu barada nikto", then a band that had a lot in common with Jesus. It was a hit for this band in the year that the ancient queen Elizabeth from a small uninteresting landmass on Sol celebrated her Silver Jubilee...
    That's a tricky question. My knowledge of ancient history is sketchy at best, so to aid my cogitation, I decide to play something mellow on the jukebox. "Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft (The Recognized Anthem of World Contact Day)" by the Carpenters would seem to fit the bill nicely.

Now all I need to do is work out the answer to the question...

Page 11 of 316 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast