Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Mamba is an Fer De Lance variant

I wouldn't call it a varient, but a sister ship.

I call the Mamba a FDL 2.0 so far. The weapon placement and the change from 4/2/2 to 4/3/1 is quite good. Need to see how everything else turns out tho.

Then again, "IF" as they say, space is a vacuum, then what do engines or thruster use to push against to obtain their momentum forward, backward or sideways.

In an atmospher, engines and or thruster utilize the opposing atmospher to obtain movement. Ships utilize the water for the same purpose. In space there is nothing to use to oppose the release of gases. The gases just go into the void of space and as we all know, space is REALLY REALLY big. And supposedly getting bigger every day.

Originally Posted by Cmdr Nemo LXXI View Post (Source)
    Then again, "IF" as they say, space is a vacuum, then what do engines or thruster use to push against to obtain their momentum forward, backward or sideways.

In an atmospher, engines and or thruster utilize the opposing atmospher to obtain movement. Ships utilize the water for the same purpose. In space there is nothing to use to oppose the release of gases. The gases just go into the void of space and as we all know, space is REALLY REALLY big. And supposedly getting bigger every day.
    conservation of momentum...

For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction...

You don't need to push against anything except for the reaction mass itself. A water rocket or simply sitting on something that rolls and throwing a significant mass away from it will demonstrate this easily enough. The overwhelming bulk of the momentum you receive isn't from pushing off air, but from whatever you throw...a rocket throws gas or plasma.

And then I realized... does the Mamba suffer from the problem as the FdL? Namely thimble-sized fuel tank? If so, this is going to wind up as parked as my FdLs, because taking them anywhere is annoying.

They push against the reaction mass being ejected out the back.

I don't understand these 'technical conversations'?

It is already well known that the game uses junk science or no science at all in the name of gameplay. FD will do what they want, for whatever reason, so trying to talk physics or other real world phenomenon as it would/should apply to the game is just silly IMO.

Unless everyone is just bored and need SOMETHING to talk about.

I'll see myself out...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345