Thread: Why SuperCruise only for FSS?

Why SuperCruise only for FSS?

Why do I have to be in SuperCruise before I can activae the FSS mode in the beta. Does that make any sense to anyone? I just find it annoying.

Game engine can't handle it.

So you can get ganked while travelling at minimum speed in a straight line.

My hunch is its a hard limitation of the game engine due to instancing. The system structure and body positions are only resolved when in supercruise, if you drop to subspace then only your local area is spawned in your instance. The FSS likely can't extrapolate the system structure when in a subspace instance, so you need to be in the proper "game mode" to use it, meaning supercruise.

It's the throttle at zero requirement that truly needs to be removed.

For gameplay reasons, using the probes as they have to move at quite a rate. Also I imagine the other reason is that it is not possible to exceed light speed, even in a computer space simulation !

I expect it is coded for supercruise to maintain the ability to scanning whilst fast travelling that most do just now. I'd certainly like to drop to normal space to use it.

Dangerous Global Moderator Flossy's Avatar
    It's nothing new - scanning has always required being in Supercruise!

Originally Posted by andrak View Post (Source)
    So you can get ganked while travelling at minimum speed in a straight line.
    I genuinely think this might actually be the answer.

Originally Posted by Flossy View Post (Source)
    It's nothing new - scanning has always required being in Supercruise!
    It hasn't. When I'm out in my Conda it's supercruise rate of turn is so bad I find it quicker to drop down & scan anything in range then jump back to SC to grab the rest.

You can't target them from the hud, you need to select the body from the nav panel or sysmap but both the old honk and DSS absolutely work in normal space.

It's one of the reasons why I prefer to explore in my Vette, I spent 18 months out in it & took it to Beagle point.

Originally Posted by Riverside View Post (Source)
    I genuinely think this might actually be the answer.
    Yeah, Iím sure everyone in beta is constantly being ganked. That why the forums are flooded with complaints.

But hey, a little scare mongering to promote your objectives never hurts

Originally Posted by sewerratuk View Post (Source)
    Yeah, I’m sure everyone in beta is constantly being ganked. That why the forums are flooded with complaints.

But hey, a little scare mongering to promote your objectives never hurts
    I'm saying I think it may be a design intent. I can't imagine this vulnerability to interdiction was simply overlooked, imo it's too obvious a feature to be an oversight.

Originally Posted by Riverside View Post (Source)
    I'm saying I think it may be a design intent. I can't imagine this vulnerability to interdiction was simply overlooked, imo it's too obvious a feature to be an oversight.
    Im just ribbing ya.
    However in a PvE gameplay situation, it is a great system to leave you vulnerable to get interdicted by hostiles if you are running missions, etc. So in that respect yes it could be intentional to add a bit more danger