Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Windows 10 update has messed up my bindings - help required!

Originally Posted by Nick Sticks View Post (Source)
    I set up the dead zones using ED's own Controls options.
    Originally Posted by GJ51 View Post (Source)
    I have Warthog Stick & Throttle mapped directly to the Options/Controls menu in Elite. You can set Dead zones if you want there, but I've been using direct mapping for 4 years without any problems.

Did they add that feature within the last year or something? If not then I must have missed it somehow.

Well there is Joystick Curves:
    Is this what you use? And if so, does it require you to run a script prior to launching the game (a la Target)? (God knows how I do a grave accent in Windows.) If so, then I suspect I'll have the same problem if the HOTAS isn't being recognised.

Originally Posted by Avago Earo View Post (Source)
    That, Sir, is multitasking at it's best. I can't hold a device in my boxing gloves, let alone type; so props to you for finding a way. Got to do shin conditioning later, then medicine ball work (soaking stomach blows). It's interesting that 'gyms' seem to mean different things.
    I was on the bike at the time, so it was manageable

EDIT: I think your gymming is way more hard-core than mine

I'll check back here later - going to do something else for a while. Wouldn't mind popping over to Avago's gym and taking it out on a punchbag...

OK, so, to summarise the current situation:

According to the100thmonkey, the problem may be Windows 10's power management system. I tried using the software he recommended, and it gave me an error message. I don't know why. I don't know how to get around this. And I've been left with some annoying files in some annoying directory, which has given me Windows 95 flashbacks. Not good. I've also tried adjusting the power settings within, uh, I guess it's called Settings? (I'm in my OS X safe space atm.) I clicked through to "advanced", and found that under "USB settings", "USB selective suspend setting" was enabled (for both battery and mains power). Aha, I thought. I disabled it and reloaded the game. Same result: Thrustmaster Warthog and Custom did not show up in Controls. I rebooted and tried again. Same result.

Great!

Meanwhile, the consensus appears to be that TARGET is crap, and I should revert to setting everything up in Elite - except for the joystick curves, for which I should use, er, Joystick Curves (for which I also need to download one of two drivers). That's fine, except I'd really like to know how Joystick Curves works before I expend even more of my precious time on this planet mucking about with Windows settings/programs. Does it use a script, like TARGET, and if so, will I run into the exact same problem if I'm forced to unplug/plug in the HOTAS when I'm in the game? And which of the two vJoy drivers should I download? Does it matter?

Please, God, somebody tell me what to do! I've jumped through so many hoops for this game – buying Windows 10, sacrificing precious HD space for a Windows partition, getting the HOTAS set up just so – and I'm reaching the limit of my patience.

Hey Roberto,

Reading through your issue, it sounds like the devices are registering in the wrong order in Windows. Same thing happens in Win7. Perhaps the update 'reset' the order and now they are incorrect, but it may not relate to the update at all. If they are incorrect then the virtual device will not load properly or at all, your bindings files will not show and everything breaks. Users of my profile over the years, and myself just this week have had this issue before.

Couple of things to try:

Unplug all devices connected to USB (minus your kb/mouse). Shut down and unplug your pc for 5mins.
    Restart, and then plug Joystick, then 30secs later the Throttle. Reattempt loading things again and see if its fixed.
    Try different USB ports or controllers as well, if you can.
    If not unplug everything again, uninstall the TARGET software and drivers. Shutdown again and then restart.
    Leave devices unplugged and reinstall and plug back in when prompted.
    Update your firmware (as required).
    Along with the USBDview program you can also check the order in Setup USB Game Controllers (Type 'Game' in start menu should find it)
    Test in Device Analyzer and Event Tester everything is loading outside of the game (isolate if bindings or script error)
    Rename your binding file and update the name of your bindings in a text editor from Custom to ensure ED doesn't override your bindings.

Also to note, never start the game without the script running or stop the script while the game is running. ED will notice your missing devices and remove any mappings you have made to the active bindings file. Always keep a copy of your bindings just in case

TARGET isn't crap by any stretch, it is great, and perhaps the most powerful controller software I have seen, but it is far from user friendly and when things go wrong they can sometimes go really wrong lol!

I hope it helps!

AD

Originally Posted by Roberto View Post (Source)

Did they add that feature within the last year or something? If not then I must have missed it somehow.

Is this what you use? And if so, does it require you to run a script prior to launching the game (a la Target)? (God knows how I do a grave accent in Windows.) If so, then I suspect I'll have the same problem if the HOTAS isn't being recognised.
    Setting dead zones in ED has been there right from the start.

I actually don't use Joystick Curves as I don't think I need to, but I understand many people do to their advantage.

Thanks Aussiedroid I'm not sure I can face any more tonight, but I'll work through this tomorrow (when I get time). One thing, though: that USBDeview program didn't work for me...

The bottom two rows are Joystick - HOTAS Warthog and Throttle - HOTAS Warthog. Great. I right-click on them, select "Open in RegEdit". Error message: "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."
    Not sure why or what I can do about this.

Also...

Originally Posted by Aussiedroid View Post (Source)
    Test in Device Analyzer and Event Tester
    Do I just search for these in the Start menu, and is their use self-explanatory? I'm really not a Windows guy!

Originally Posted by Aussiedroid View Post (Source)
    TARGET isn't crap by any stretch, it is great, and perhaps the most powerful controller software I have seen, but it is far from user friendly and when things go wrong they can sometimes go really wrong lol!
    I thought TARGET was OK too, and I took the time to figure it out and get everything how I wanted it which is why this is so frustrating.

oh windows updates, the pain in my life. Try managing servers it will drive you bonkers.

Thanks, the100thmonkey... I'm trying to follow your instructions, but Windows is like my Kryptonite or something.
    Sorry for taking so long to respond - I posted my idea and went straight to bed. I did not pass "Go" and I did not collect $200. It was past two in the morning my time!

I assume the correct option for me is "Download USBDeview for X64 systems" (since I'm using a fairly new MacBook Pro)? I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean by downloading it and not installing it.
    That's correct. By not installing it, I meant that it's a simple executable file rather than a program that requires installation.

Anyway, I clicked on this (in fact, I've done this several times), and it's downloaded some stuff into a horribly obscure folder beginning with AppData/Local/Packages (which seems to be in my User folder, but which apparently I can't navigate to in the normal course of events). This reminds me of Windows 95 and how it routinely dumped random files everywhere. I *hate* this stuff. Double-clicking on the Application file, I get the option to "Extract All" or "Run". The first seems like the way to go, so that's what I've done.
    Yes, this is my fault - it's been on my system for ages, and I forgot that it downloads as a .zip file. you should choose extract all, then use the file extraction dialogue to choose a suitable place to extract the folder to, say, My Documents. Then, you should run it from My Documents. This will avoid any issues with having to run the file from a folder that requires administrator permissions to access.

It runs. I see ten rows/entries, each with a "green light" at the front, except for "Apple Input Device", which is magenta. Maybe that's my mouse, which isn't connected. Whatever. The bottom two rows are Joystick - HOTAS Warthog and Throttle - HOTAS Warthog. Great. I right-click on them, select "Open in RegEdit". Error message: "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."

1. What the *%?!
    2. How do I sort this?
    3. How do I get rid of all this USBDeview stuff when I'm done?

I just... I just wanted to fly some spaceships this weekend. I spent *hours* getting my setup just right, and relearning to fly with a throttle dead zone and a response curve on the joystick. [lando mode] They told me they fixed it!!!
    You need to extract the folder from the .zip and run the program manually. It should then ask for administrator permissions when you launch "view in Regedit". I think the program is just inheriting its permissions from the browser you're launching it with.

Once you're done, you can delete USBDeview by just deleting the folder you extracted it to. With that said, if it fixes the problem, I'd be inclined to keep it around - if you change USB ports, you'll need to change the power settings for the stick on that port. In fact, you'll need to do it for every single port you ever use with the stick. Yes, I know that doesn't make sense. Thank Microsoft for that.

If there's another way to set up a dead zone on the throttle/a response curve on the joystick, then no. Is there?
    There are, but only Joystick Gremlin approaches TARGET in terms of how useful it is.

Do I just search for these in the Start menu, and is their use self-explanatory? I'm really not a Windows guy!
    They're both options in the dialogue box that pops up when you run your TARGET script.

how I do a grave accent in Windows.
    I don't know the unicode shortcut, but you can hit the Windows key and type "chara" - that should bring up the character map where you can just find the suitably accented letter and copy-paste it, la standard webpage text.

Setting dead zones in ED has been there right from the start.
    No idea how I missed that! Oh well.

Originally Posted by the100thmonkey View Post (Source)
    Sorry for taking so long to respond
    No worries! You guys are being really helpful. I'll be out for much of the day, but I should have time to finally get to grips with this (sort of a joystick pun) tonight.

Clearly I don't know my Windows directories from my elbow, though it amazes me that I don't have admin permissions for a folder on my own machine! I guess OS X hides stuff too, albeit in a different way.

I have a grand total of two USB ports, and even that's generous for Apple these days (you'd think they'd have the decency to throw in a couple of Thunderbolt-to-USB adaptors with their new machines, but anyway). So I should only have to use the program once (for each peripheral).

Device Analyzer/Event Tester – ah! Right Bath *and Wells*… (I did use the Device Analyzer when I was setting things up weeks ago, or at least I think so. I'd forgotten about it.)

Accents – I'll have to remember that It's bad enough having to switch from Apple-C to Ctrl-C etc and back again…

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12