Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: From riches to rags - a cautionary tale

Originally Posted by jasonbarron View Post (Source)
    There's a manual?
    Yup - see link to manual above and check the main launcher for the link to it.

Originally Posted by rlsg View Post (Source)
    Yup - see link to manual above and check the main launcher for the link to it.
    Does it tell you how to operate the Advanced Sarcasm Detector? Might want to check that part out.

Originally Posted by jasonbarron View Post (Source)
    Does it tell you how to operate the Advanced Sarcasm Detector? Might want to check that part out.
    You might want to check it out yourself.

Originally Posted by rlsg View Post (Source)
    You might want to check it out yourself.
    Sarception?

Originally Posted by zipline View Post (Source)
    Long(ish) post from complete newbie with genuine question at end.

After many weeks of exploring at the edge of the bubble to build up finances, I entered into this weekend with my shiny new AspX, half a million credits to cover the rebuy and more than 2 million credits worth of cartographic data stored away.

On top of that, during the prior week I had completed my mining & SRV studies and even managed to fit in a sneaky few training runs.

What was on my mind as I entered the weekend was engineering. I'd picked up various materials from USS's during my travels but now needed some raw mats, so was off to land on a few planets and scour for mats.

I was in GaGu system which had a number of landable planets with potential surface mats so off I went. Things were going pretty well, I was finding & scooping stuff and was feeling pretty pleased with myself. Then I ran into some kind of data point with a sentry hovering over it. I scanned the data point and thought it would be fun to shoot the sentry ... my first mistake.

I could see a transaction saying 300CR bounty, and being a newbie who hadn't studied E crime and punishment, I actually thought that money would be paid to me!

I launched from the planet and noticed a red wanted status, so realising that bounty was on my head, I quickly hoofed it back to nearest station to hold up my hands and pay my dues ... no sir ... no option to pay.

So, I thoughtvto myself "It's only 300CR and I'll be a long way from this system soon, so it will eventually expire ... my second mistake.

I launched off to begin my journey and in came my better half with an urgent chore, so being a PS4 player, I hit the options button to pause the game whilst I did my chore ... that was my last mistake.

I returned after about 5 minutes to "your ship has been destroyed" ... after many expletives I bought back my ship and resurfaced in a prison colony. Almost all of my credits were gone with the buyback and all my cartographic data was gone. Over 2.5 million credits, and worst, I still had wanted status and did not have anything close to buyback funds so have to fly without. I was spitting angry with just about everyone & everything.

So after google, I find there is a base nearby where I can get rid of the wanted status by paying off legal costs. I jump there in 1, pay off my dues and now am back to grinding the black (without rebuy) for some more funds to get back on track ... but deffo not picking up even 1 item of cargo as steering through a load of interdictions is more than my nerves can take.

My question? On PS4, is the options button not a pause button? I have used that countless times during play to meddle with my bindings, take loo breaks, make coffee, etc. Never has anything happened to my ship ... but this time it did.

Oh, one more question ... what is happening to me? Since buying E I have no life, all other games are gathering dust, I spend every evening studying ship loadouts, mining, engineering, etc, my friends look at me worried when I excitedly tell them of my exploits ... tnis coming Christmas could be a complete E fest ... I need help!
    Honestly, there isn't much left we can tell you that you haven't learned from though luck already. You're in the right path. You've identified the (critical) mistakes you've made so it's on you not to repeat them.

I'll tell you what, your experience was better than mine. First aspx i purchased with no rebuy and thought I'd give a neutron star boost a try. Predictably got stuck in the exclusion zone, spent the next 5 minutes trying to get out to no avail. Upon ship destruction the game crashed (pc) and on reload had to go through another minute of helplessness.

As the ever wise yoda tells us failure is the best teacher.

Keep at it. Learn from these mistakes and keep on keppin on. Set backs are only temporary. There is no reward for perfection. Shake it off commander and get back out there.

Oh, and read patch notes. You should be good just starting at 3.0.

Fly dangerous. o7

Originally Posted by rekurzion View Post (Source)
    Honestly, there isn't much left we can tell you that you haven't learned from though luck already. You're in the right path. You've identified the (critical) mistakes you've made so it's on you not to repeat them.

I'll tell you what, your experience was better than mine. First aspx i purchased with no rebuy and thought I'd give a neutron star boost a try. Predictably got stuck in the exclusion zone, spent the next 5 minutes trying to get out to no avail. Upon ship destruction the game crashed (pc) and on reload had to go through another minute of helplessness.

As the ever wise yoda tells us failure is the best teacher.

Keep at it. Learn from these mistakes and keep on keppin on. Set backs are only temporary. There is no reward for perfection. Shake it off commander and get back out there.

Oh, and read patch notes. You should be good just starting at 3.0.

Fly dangerous. o7
    Thanks for the encouragement, yes, like real life, you can avoid many mistakes by studying & listening, but every now & then you'll make one anyway, so I will take my medicine, be thankful I had rebuy, and get back in my ship and move on.

Originally Posted by zipline View Post (Source)
    Thanks for the encouragement, yes, like real life, you can avoid many mistakes by studying & listening, but every now & then you'll make one anyway, so I will take my medicine, be thankful I had rebuy, and get back in my ship and move on.
    Experience is a strict teacher, you just need to learn from your mistakes.

My comparable OMG-I-Messed-Up moment was when I first started playing ED and boosted my Cobra MkIII into the inside-wall of a Coriolis/Orbis station and became bankrupt enough to require a restart.

As a result of that experience, I learned 3 main things:-
    1. Never run a ship with less than at least one rebuy - preferably 2 plus any potential penalties for any mission failures
    2. Never sell a ship hull - you will always lose out in terms of credits, better to mothball it by selling/transferring upgrades and downgrading the ship to minimum possible specification
    3. (Last but not least) Use your landing gear as a speed limiter during docking and launching

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234