Page 14 of 16 First 101213141516 Last

Thread: The Pomeche Ridge Challenge: a standing SRV time trial in association with the Buckyball Racing Club

I'm going to have to abandon this for now The stuttering / micro-pauses and freezes (some over 1 minute long) are just making it impossible. The clock keeps running, so a run can get 2+ minutes added on, let along control issues.

With DW2 starting, unless FDev fix it early this week, i don't see any chance of getting a time in before, well significantly later.

Finally, after much anticipation, Cmdr PrimetimeCasual makes his entry onto the Ridge Challenge scoreboard driving an SRV appropriately named "Perseverance".

Seemingly in direct competition with Cmdrs Darplata94 and Hawkus Alpha, he managed a top-10 Blue run, finishing 9th with a time of 11:58, a top-10 Red run, finishing 7th with a time of 26:39 and a top-10 Black run, finishing 8th with a time of 40:39. Hopefully he'll get one more chance to improve on those before he sets off on DW2 but in the meantime, congratulations sir - excellent times!

What's goin on here? They pushed me out of the top 10! Looks like I should get back onto the ridge. I only wish all that mining income could buy me some SRV upgrades ;-)

Originally Posted by Stinja View Post (Source)
    The stuttering / micro-pauses and freezes (some over 1 minute long) are just making it impossible. The clock keeps running, so a run can get 2+ minutes added on, let along control issues.
    But not before this gets fixed :-(

Originally Posted by Stinja View Post (Source)
    I'm going to have to abandon this for now The stuttering / micro-pauses and freezes (some over 1 minute long) are just making it impossible. The clock keeps running, so a run can get 2+ minutes added on, let along control issues.

With DW2 starting, unless FDev fix it early this week, i don't see any chance of getting a time in before, well significantly later.
    Damn, that's a real bummer Stinja! Oh well, the ridge challenge will hopefully still be here in a years time. Who knows, perhaps someone will even have managed to beat Turkwinif by then!

(P.S. sorry I missed your post yesterday)

OK, own up - who crashed into the start line beacon I carefully placed there?

Now we're going to have to go back to navigating to 13,-60 the old fashioned way!

Quick scoreboard update.

Cmdr PrimetimeCasual has returned to the ridge and managed to shave a minute off his Blue run time, leapfrogging Darplata94 to take 8th place. He'll need to shave 2 minutes to do the same in Red and just over 5 minutes to do the same in Black! (not that I would ever attempt to stir up some friendly rivalry between two commanders simply to bolster the ratings of my race! )

Originally Posted by Alec Turner View Post (Source)
    Cmdr PrimetimeCasual has returned to the ridge and managed to shave a minute off his Blue run time, leapfrogging Darplata94 to take 8th place. He'll need to shave 2 minutes to do the same in Red and just over 5 minutes to do the same in Black! (not that I would ever attempt to stir up some friendly rivalry between two commanders simply to bolster the ratings of my race! )

Oh, the times are tempting, and I was quite on the way... Unfortunately further attempts will have to wait "a bit" - I'm on DW2.

Attention!

It seems the rock clearance on the ridge was only a temporary measure.

Originally Posted by Will Flanagan View Post (Source)
    Ice planet rocks now generate again
    You have approximately 15hrs to take advantage of the current rock free state of the course!

Originally Posted by Alec Turner View Post (Source)
    Attention!

It seems the rock clearance on the ridge was only a temporary measure.

You have approximately 15hrs to take advantage of the current rock free state of the course!
    Believe me, even with those rocks cleared it was of no advantage to me!

I won't be doing the run for a while as I've just set off for Sagittarius A* from Colonia but if I need a change of scenery I'll give it a go.

Quick plug for the latest issue of Sagittarius Eye magazine which just came out.

It features my first full article for the magazine in which I attempt to explain how to drive the SRV like a boss.

Hope you folks like it and find it useful!

Crikey - we're already at scoreboard update number 25!

Today sees a brand new entry from Cmdr k0hb0t. Welcome to the ridge commander, always a genuine pleasure to see someone new show up here and what a thoroughly respectable time you've posted too. Completing the Blue run in 17m 8s, k0hb0t drops "Corvus" into 19th place, just 12 seconds behind Bob Lighthouse's as yet unnamed SRV.

o7

Lots of good videos here.
    I've been meaning to do this for ages and I have an entry!

My first thought was, "That doesn't look too bad, I'm alright at SRV'ing"
    Hoo boy. Very, very wrong was I.

Never before in the annals of my SRV driving have I bounced in so many random directions, nor felt so queasy in VR , nor found so many invisible rocks that stopped me dead.
    Also, finding the screenshot key when you can't see the keyboard is, apparently, hard!

I've had a few goes now. The SRV Exit Stage Left did just that several times, although miraculously I managed to keep it one piece despite ~9km descents until a particularly enthuastic encounter with checkpoint blue (finish line fever). I also managed to take a number of screenshots at the right time but without the necessary information on screen again.

I finally made a (hopefully) legit run in the SRV Maybe This Time. Weirdly, it felt easier to keep a good line on the red and black sections. Anyway,

Start - 10:12:10
    Blue finish - 10:25:45 - 13min 35s
    Red finish - 10:36:40 - 10min 55s, 24min 30s total
    Black finish - 10:44:37 - 7min 57s, 32min 27s total

Screenshots:

Start

Blue finish

Red finish

Black finish - ahem, nestled in the wall beyond the finish. Good thing it was there ...

Originally Posted by Sgurr View Post (Source)
    The SRV Exit Stage Left did just that several times

Got to love fitting names!

And welcome to the ridge! (or down it)

Originally Posted by AkenBosch View Post (Source)

And welcome to the ridge! (or down it)
    Both and thank you. I'm long overdue some buckyballing

For others seeing this thread give it a try, it's possibly a little frustrating but also wicked fun

Originally Posted by Sgurr View Post (Source)
    Lots of good videos here.
    I've been meaning to do this for ages and I have an entry!

My first thought was, "That doesn't look too bad, I'm alright at SRV'ing"
    Hoo boy. Very, very wrong was I.

Never before in the annals of my SRV driving have I bounced in so many random directions, nor felt so queasy in VR , nor found so many invisible rocks that stopped me dead.
    Also, finding the screenshot key when you can't see the keyboard is, apparently, hard!

I've had a few goes now. The SRV Exit Stage Left did just that several times, although miraculously I managed to keep it one piece despite ~9km descents until a particularly enthuastic encounter with checkpoint blue (finish line fever). I also managed to take a number of screenshots at the right time but without the necessary information on screen again.

I finally made a (hopefully) legit run in the SRV Maybe This Time. Weirdly, it felt easier to keep a good line on the red and black sections. Anyway,

Start - 10:12:10
    Blue finish - 10:25:45 - 13min 35s
    Red finish - 10:36:40 - 10min 55s, 24min 30s total
    Black finish - 10:44:37 - 7min 57s, 32min 27s total

Screenshots:

Start

Blue finish

Red finish

Black finish - ahem, nestled in the wall beyond the finish. Good thing it was there ...

Glorious! I'll check your entry now and get the scoreboard updated. As Aken says - welcome the ridge and bravo on completing the black run!