Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: Any news on a fix for migraines caused by the FSS graphics?

So... we now have a release date listed as Dec 11th and we've still heard absolutely nothing about this problem beyond the fact my bug report & the thread from sufferers has been "passed on".

I am not hopeful.

Frontier, if you're reading this, a little confirmation here please? Is this issue being addressed? Can we expect to see an option for sufferers in the 11th Dec release?

Originally Posted by mojonaut View Post (Source)
    I don't have a problem with the game triggering migraines, but do occasionally get the non-headache flickering zig-zag rainbow across my field of vision, for those that don't suffer from it, closing your eyes makes no difference, it is still there. For me it begins with a blind spot in my vision which gradually enlarges and resembles a letter 'C' shaped rainbow that over an hour or so expands across the field of vision and gradually dissipates. Don't get the headaches with it either but do occasionally get the headache and nausea ones (without the lights) and they completely floor you for several hours. So I have great sympathy for those who are having a hard time with this, a toggle to enable/disable the effect might be a solution.

Scintillating Scotoma
    I've grown to like my multi coloured zig-zag fractals
    I tried manipulating the zig-zag/fractals without much success to start with, but after three+ years of trying I can now do level 5 closed eye hallucinations (which are amazing):
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Closed-eye_hallucination

So while mildly irritating sometimes I taught myself a new trick

Originally Posted by CMDR Carbo View Post (Source)
    You might suffer from histamin intolerance like me. Uptake of foods that contain a lot of histamin (processed meat, fish, old cheese, vinegar, red wine, etc) makes me suffer and allergic like reaction and can cause migraines. For example, after 2-3 glasses of red wine the chances that I get heavy migraines are around 50%.
    It's possible. So far wine, cheese, fish, they're all fine. I've been suspecting nitrates or something like that. I don't know for sure. I still have sensory triggers too, but the migraines tend to be less severe.

Originally Posted by mojonaut View Post (Source)
    I don't have a problem with the game triggering migraines, but do occasionally get the non-headache flickering zig-zag rainbow across my field of vision, for those that don't suffer from it, closing your eyes makes no difference, it is still there. For me it begins with a blind spot in my vision which gradually enlarges and resembles a letter 'C' shaped rainbow that over an hour or so expands across the field of vision and gradually dissipates. Don't get the headaches with it either but do occasionally get the headache and nausea ones (without the lights) and they completely floor you for several hours.
    My wife occasionally gets ocular migraines like this. The first time it happened, it scared the crap out of her, but I was able to explain it to her. Most of the people I've talked to who get these, have them disconnected from the other migraine symptoms, as you've described here.

Originally Posted by Barking_Mad View Post (Source)
    I deal with absences at a higher learning institute. You should see how many students list 'migraine' as a *cough* 'reason for not attending'. Those with just a 'headache'? Zilch. None. Zero. Definitely abused by non-sufferers!
    That is not really abused, it is just how the red tape works. When I worked as a clinical neuropsychologists in a geriatric institution I had quite a few patients who obviously needed help, but would fail every formal diagnosis by one criterion. I could write that in their file, and insurance would do nothing for them. So when needed I would go for MCI and let the system deal with it. Same with your case: a 'headache' is simply considered to be more mild than 'migraine', which is generally considered a 'real' medical issue. Which is ridiculous of course. But it makes perfect sense for someone with genuine headaches to label it migraine just to be taken seriously. Heck, many people who genuinely believe they suffer from migraines may actually not; migraine is a very diverse phenomenon and it is possible to have migraine-like symptoms caused by something totally else.

Originally Posted by Sunyavadin View Post (Source)
    Many games I play have several colourblind modes for all the various different forms it can take. Protanopia, deuteranopia, tritanopia, only having one mode obviously isn't going to help everyone.
    There's a reason opticians have a bunch of different coloured colour blindness tests.
    This. For something as 'simple' as colorblindness you need a number of different settings to accommodate the majority of sufferers. Migraine is far more diverse, it is extremely difficult to make a number of generic settings. They could help Turjan out by offering a toggle for the blue blobs and some sounds, but that is unlikely to be of any use to many others who may find the FSS as a possible trigger. Nor do it do anything for people who have other triggers, not related to the FSS. It is extremely difficult to 'fix' this, unfortunately.

6. This is the last staff post in this thread. #66
    Senior Community Manager Frontier Employee
    Hi everyone,

Just letting you know that we have taken note of this thread, we've received the reports from the OP about it and we're currently investigating the issue.

Sorry we didn't comment any sooner, but just wanted to let you know that we're not ignoring you. We will update you when we have more information

Ed

Originally Posted by Edward Lewis View Post (Source)
    Hi everyone,

Just letting you know that we have taken note of this thread, we've received the reports from the OP about it and we're currently investigating the issue.

Sorry we didn't comment any sooner, but just wanted to let you know that we're not ignoring you. We will update you when we have more information

Ed
    Good to hear! Thanks a lot. Vaguely connected to that, I a while ago wrote a report that I had problems with the UI brightness. I know it's a very personal thing that I get a bit of a headache when running with bright HUD, so probably not a high priority for the game as a whole.
    Still, I posted this as "demonstration":

Is there any chance that this might also improve? Please?

I mean, I just can't read blue text in literally anything. So the stuff on the right is a no-go for me no matter the brightness.
    It's part of why I've always like ED's consistent colour palette, especially within the UI.

Originally Posted by Edward Lewis View Post (Source)
    Hi everyone,

Ed
    Thanks Ed!

It's a tad ironic that with a stubbornness of sticking with UI colours, that they decide to change colours for a separate page. I would love to believe with this being highlighted, we may see the ability to change the UI. I doubt it but we live in hope.

Originally Posted by Orvidius View Post (Source)
    It's possible. So far wine, cheese, fish, they're all fine. I've been suspecting nitrates or something like that. I don't know for sure. I still have sensory triggers too, but the migraines tend to be less severe.
    It could be sulphides; used as a preservative in tons of foods.

Sorry, but why is the FSS now bad for People with some sensitivity against pulsating (blue) Colors and the neutron and White stars, that are implemented ingame for Long time, not? They are also pulsating at specific Colors in different Speed. Ist that not a Problem? Or do you avoid flying to Systems with that Kind of star?

Hi Ed,

My friend broke his foot a while ago and you kindly suspended the release of Chapter 4 - Legs, until he healed.

I can confirm that he should be ok early in the new year, so if you would be so kind as to let me know the release details for chapter 4 I will let him know, in the strictest of confidence of course.

Rob

Originally Posted by DMaster View Post (Source)
    Sorry, but why is the FSS now bad for People with some sensitivity against pulsating (blue) Colors and the neutron and White stars, that are implemented ingame for Long time, not? They are also pulsating at specific Colors in different Speed. Ist that not a Problem? Or do you avoid flying to Systems with that Kind of star?
    That is the fun with migraine; it is different for everyone and the devil is in the details...

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast