Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: Killer NPC? Black Ghost? What the HELL!!!!!

  1. #1

    Killer NPC? Black Ghost? What the HELL!!!!!

    Playing in Elite Dangerous (not Horizons) in Solo, in my fully engineered top grade, trade Corvette having just delivered my cargo to Viktorenco and now returning empty to Jameson Memorial (one jump) I am interdicted by an Imperial Cutter called Black Ghost piloted by a CMDR [redacted], this Cutter is fast and has green shields and looks Black, and it attacks while practicalrly on top of me, I try to defend myself with engineered Beam Lasers and Seeker missiles, but it does'nt dent these green shields, so I bug out with one band of my shields remaining as I get closer to Jameson Memorial the same ship interdicts me again, I can't jump out because I'm mass locked but it fires at me my shields drop to 86% and BOOM!!! I'm dead. Cost 36,887,490, this cannot be right!!! I have been playing this game for over 3 years and have never encountered an NPC like this, I only play in Solo, I tried to play in open 2 years ago, but got killed within minutes, since then I have only evere played in Solo. I am now at a point where I really don't think that it's worth playing this game, I worked hard to earn that 36,887,490 credits just to lose it to an indestructable ship that I didn't stand a chance at defeating or even running away from. So I'm gone from this game the rewards are not good enough, and it's such a shame, because I think Elite Dangerous is probably the best game out there, and the best game that I have ever played, and I would have loved to continue as I have for the last 3 years but this type of occurence is totally soul destroying and really think now 'What's the Point?'. I just hope that other commanders don't meet this same fate. Goodbye, and Fly Safe (If you can?)

  2. #2
    Sorry, but if the pilots name started with Cmdr. you were not in solo. Human pilot's ALL have the "Cmdr" prior to their names. NPC do not ever utilize it in their's. Your scanner if it was a human should have shown an empty cube of sorts if the attacker was a human. It it didn't it, you were not in solo. I've fogtten on occasion and after board hopping between open, private and solo to make sure to switch back. It happens to the best of us.

  3. #3
    In that case, it seems I accidently went into open, I bow to your knowledge on this. It would be a good idea if Frontier placed a small Solo/Open/Private symbol in the top left corner of the flight screen so as to prevent cmdrs accidently playing the wrong type of game. Thabkyou, I am now educated to this accident. But whoever this guy is, he must be really popular (Sarcasm!) I hate him!!

  4. #4
    There have been cases where bugs with the matchmaking servers/instancing have placed Solo CMDRs with others in Open, but it's much more likely that you accidentally selected the wrong mode.

  5. #5
    Originally Posted by howardtay View Post (Source)
    In that case, it seems I accidently went into open, I bow to your knowledge on this. It would be a good idea if Frontier placed a small Solo/Open/Private symbol in the top left corner of the flight screen so as to prevent cmdrs accidently playing the wrong type of game. Thabkyou, I am now educated to this accident. But whoever this guy is, he must be really popular (Sarcasm!) I hate him!!
    BTW, you should probably edit your OP to remove the name so that you don't incur the wrath of the Mods... Just saying.

  6. #6
    Originally Posted by howardtay View Post (Source)
    ........ piloted by a CMDR [redacted], this Cutter is fast and has green shields and looks Black, and it attacks while practicalrly on top of me, I try to defend myself with engineered Beam Lasers and Seeker missiles, but it does'nt dent these green shields, .........
    As others have said, you must have gone into open, Jameson is a honey-pot for these uber-engineered PK peeps. Those green shields were the princess' "you can't kill me, yahh boo" powerpants reward, no doubt engineered to extremes. Of course F D don't think Engineers in any way creates an unbalanced game so we have to live with it.

  7. #7
    I suppose if you are always in solo you would not know human players start with CMDR
    does sound like a miss click to me also
    I once ended up with a 70 pound bill from amazon prime after contacting them to ask why? they said you are a member,

    turned out I miss clicked but as I had not used the service they refunded me

  8. #8
    Sounds like the OP got smacked with a bit of board flipping karma.

  9. #9
    Originally Posted by Cmdr Nemo LXXI View Post (Source)
    Sorry, but if the pilots name started with Cmdr. you were not in solo. Human pilot's ALL have the "Cmdr" prior to their names. NPC do not ever utilize it in their's. Your scanner if it was a human should have shown an empty cube of sorts if the attacker was a human. It it didn't it, you were not in solo. I've fogtten on occasion and after board hopping between open, private and solo to make sure to switch back. It happens to the best of us.
    Agreed. If the pilot's name was preceded by "CMDR" then it was a human-piloted ship and OP was in OPEN play mode. OP's lack of situational awareness killed him, not that CMDR. o7

  10. #10
    Prismatic shields are green in color. Also bi-weaves are purple. Another indication you're
    in a live player fight. Not 100 percent sure but I don't ever remember an NPC using them.

  11. #11
    Originally Posted by JetsonRING View Post (Source)
    Agreed. If the pilot's name was preceded by "CMDR" then it was a human-piloted ship and OP was in OPEN play mode. OP's lack of situational awareness killed him, not that CMDR. o7
    No, the lack of situational awareness got the OP into that mess, the other Cmdr definitely killed them though.

  12. #12
    There can be a bug where you clicking Solo but it puts you in Open. You can check where you are by clicking esc and on menu bottom center you will see: CURRENT GAME MODE: ...

  13. This is the last staff post in this thread. #13
    Originally Posted by Prorokpl View Post (Source)
    There can be a bug where you clicking Solo but it puts you in Open.
    I'd just like to address this - we've never seen this reported or verified and simply should not be possible! We can look through game logs to see which options are selected in the main menu and I've never seen anyone select Solo and be placed in Open.

    Of course, the reverse is possible in the very early stages of the game as new commanders are placed in Solo to begin with, even if they select Solo.

  14. #14
    Originally Posted by Support Tronador View Post (Source)
    I'd just like to address this - we've never seen this reported or verified and simply should not be possible! We can look through game logs to see which options are selected in the main menu and I've never seen anyone select Solo and be placed in Open.

    Of course, the reverse is possible in the very early stages of the game as new commanders are placed in Solo to begin with, even if they select Solo.
    No, no. Everytime I have been screwed it's entirely the games fault! I am too perfect to make mistakes.

  15. #15
    am I being discriminated against every time I click solo I just get some cheesy sci fi movie playing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast