Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12347 ... LastLast

Thread: Thargoids taking over the bubble in 3.. 2...

The main issue I see with the Thargoid incursion BGS state - and with famine and outbreak - is that, from what I've read, it's based on RNG.
    As a result predicting how often this will happen is impossible at this time.

I guess that FDev aims to get one or two systems into Tharogoid incursion BGS state (TIBS) every week as an automated way to do what they, apparently, currently do by hand.
    In this scenario nothing would change - if nothing goes wrong with the RNG.

The problematic aspect of this is, that FDev has a solid track record of completely misjudging player involvement in various activities and a tendency to put to much emphasis on new additions to the game.

I won't be surprised if FDev at first has the chance of a system going into TIBS to high and the requirements to get the system out of TIBS and repair it to high (not enough materials getting produced in the bubble to repair stations comes to mind).

But as others already pointed out, there is no need to worry about something that might, or might not, happen. We will see what happens in the months after 3.3 gets released.

Originally Posted by CMDR Zadian Lichtfrost View Post (Source)
    ...and with famine and outbreak - is that, from what I've read, it's based on RNG.
    Not true.

Outbreak and Famine have a natural uptick which is easily countered by most player interaction. So when a faction goes into Outbreak or Famine, it's because:
    - The natural uptick to one of those has occurred without player interaction; or
    - Deliberate actions have been taken to cause those states.

... where Outbreak can be caused by Deliver Biowaste Missions[1] and Famine can be caused Kill Skimmer missions.

[1] Not to be confused with the urban legend that trading biowaste on the commodity market can cause outbreak.

I would be happy with a more intense Thargoid assault.

Back when the Thargoid attacks began advancing toward through the bubble toward Sol, I headed out in my FGS and Corvette and did some battle. It was some great combat practice (which I sorely needed), and decent fun for a short session. Almost no money, though. Missions were unreliable, and pay was tiny per Thargoid kill.

To finance my futher focus on AX play, I had planned to get heavy into post 3.3 mining. I got my Corvette all set, even bought a few paints for it. But after playing the 3.3 beta... I think the Exploration updates are going to be more appealing to me, than what they've done with mining. I'll have to await the final release to see where things fall, of course. With Exploration being a bit more time intensive (compared to mining for income), I may get less time on the AX combat front than I hoped, but we shall see.

Overall, I say bring on the Thargoids. Give me some stations to fight for, some sort of front line to push back. I personally find this aspect of combat far more appealing than doing battle with/against most of the minor faction squabbles.

Originally Posted by Jmanis View Post (Source)
    Not true.

Outbreak and Famine have a natural uptick which is easily countered by most player interaction. So when a faction goes into Outbreak or Famine, it's because:
    - The natural uptick to one of those has occurred without player interaction; or
    - Deliberate actions have been taken to cause those states.

... where Outbreak can be caused by Deliver Biowaste Missions[1] and Famine can be caused Kill Skimmer missions.

[1] Not to be confused with the urban legend that trading biowaste on the commodity market can cause outbreak.
    That's how it currently works. If I did understand the comments correctly by FDev about the BGS this will change.

The mission system should spawn lucrative delivery missions to star ports impacted by Thargoid activity to aid the repair.

That's how it currently works. If I did understand the comments correctly by FDev about the BGS this will change.
    I agree with Jmanis on Outbreak/Famine - if you have references that would be cool. all they said was they there can be multiple BGS states at the same time, nothing about changing triggers for those existing states.

Originally Posted by FNLWA View Post (Source)
    Given that around 70% of players don't care too much for Thargoid content* the new incursion state (which lasts indefinitely) might actually become a big deal.
    Interesting statistics. All they have to do is remove the AX-weaponry-requirement and make them vulnerable to normal weapons, though... I would switch from "not interested" to "occasional" at least, if they did that.

I dont fight goids, its has stupid requirements with magic weapons
    But presumably have no problem grinding out the Engineers to go G5 + Special Effects on your combat ships (because that's totally and completely different)

Famine will become an extreme form of the Bust state, so anything that affects the economic scale will cause/prevent it. That looks like it will be deterministic.

Outbreaks are being separated off to be a separate "type" of state, but it's not clear what's going to cause them - it could be the same "neglect" counter but on a per-system scale rather than a per-faction one, or it might be something else.

(The interesting thing for me will be whether un-fought Outbreaks can spread to neighbouring systems. If so I'd be way more worried about that than about the Thargoids...)

Originally Posted by Factabulous View Post (Source)
    I agree with Jmanis on Outbreak/Famine - if you have references that would be cool. all they said was they there can be multiple BGS states at the same time, nothing about changing triggers for those existing states.
    I'll try to find it. I think it was a comment in the BGS stream.

Form the recap:

• There are chaotic and unpredictable states that can occur. These states, much like the real-world parallels, are out of your control. One of these states is Outbreak, a faction in outbreak will suffer negative economic and security effects, as well as many of the faction's population becoming unhappy.
    Maybe I'm reading to much into it.

Originally Posted by jasonbirder View Post (Source)
    But presumably have no problem grinding out the Engineers to go G5 + Special Effects on your combat ships (because that's totally and completely different)
    correct!

I am terrible at Thargoid fighting. I have never successfully killed a Cyclops on my own, and only once in a Wing after many failed attempts (owing to my lack of ability with fixed weaponry).

But you had better believe that if LHS 20 comes under attack, I will fight tooth and nail to defend it against the Thargoids. I am sure there are plenty of players who feel likewise about their "home" systems.

You could argue that Frontier supports the "never fight the Thargoid"-group, since they made special shop items. There was a long time for ideas to develop and spread that run counter to the as planned perceived grand plan. If the stories about the Far God Cult were supposed to be a "wake up call", it seems to not have worked as planned. Although I get the feeling that we have not seen every interaction imagined yet.

Have there been attacks on outposts yet or are only stations affected? Many systems with just outposts (I hope I don't give them the wrong ideas).

I'm afraid that I'll just keep on moving my ships around the bubble if the 'goids interfere with what I'm doing.

If there comes a point where I'm actually losing ships as a result of 'goid activities, I guess I'll give them the win and go find a different game.

I actually really enjoyed the 'goid-related stuff when it was all new and mysterious and vague but now it's just pew-pew, I'm over it.

Besides, there's always that galactic circumnavigation I've been considering...

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12347 ... LastLast