Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123458 ... LastLast

Thread: Thargoids taking over the bubble in 3.. 2...

I was interested in the Thargoids when they first appeared, the Barnacles, message decryption, base finding, the probes and all the rest of the science stuff.

Unfortunately all of this seems to have gone away and what is left is pew pew. As I have no interest in pew pew, much like the majority of players, I'm afraid the bubble will burn brightly, unless the science comes back.

Nutter

o7

Originally Posted by sleutelbos View Post (Source)
    Worst-case scenario: everyone drops dead tomorrow in real-life. Then what?

The point being there is currently zero information available, at all, on how this will play out. Making worst-case scenarios is pointless when it is based on nothing, especially when the entire process is under full control of FD. So whatever 'the worst case' you can imagine is, it'll only happen if FD wants that. The bubble wont burn overnight, so if it goes to slow/fast they'll adjust it.
    This.

Y'all realise the Thargoids aren't actually real, right?

Ah brilliant. Frontier using the stick rather than the carrot to get players into Thargoids.

Don't like 1.x m CR reward (net of SLF, rearm, repair) for 30 mins work, huge skill and huge rebuy risk? No problem, we'll just force you to do it! Admittedly rewards are tricky in ED now - you're either a long term player and don't need credits or you've just arrived in which case you're at Robigo getting 70m CR/hr with zero skill and zero risk. So even if it were 200m CR/Thargoid, this would just be for roleplayers and really really bored endgamers. A more ambitious carrot would have been nicer - a new progression curve into factions/bases/carriers etc with Thargoid hearts as a currency would have done it for me.

Originally Posted by Chainguns View Post (Source)
    A more ambitious carrot would have been nicer - a new progression curve into factions/bases/carriers etc with Thargoid hearts as a currency would have done it for me.
    So you're advocating them adding another 'grind' into ED? Hmmm, don't see how that could be mis-construed

Originally Posted by Nutter View Post (Source)
    I was interested in the Thargoids when they first appeared, the Barnacles, message decryption, base finding, the probes and all the rest of the science stuff.

Unfortunately all of this seems to have gone away and what is left is pew pew. As I have no interest in pew pew, much like the majority of players, I'm afraid the bubble will burn brightly, unless the science comes back.

Nutter

o7
    ^^ This

For the time being, they seem a mere Arcade "shoot-em-up" addition to ELITE. The typical "Aliens = must shoot them!" featurette found in all classic and still many modern Space games.
    All applaudable efforts on the FX aside, that's a bit too bland and generic for my taste.

No comms, no Repping up with them, no Diplomatic Relations, no Trade, no variation. No Alternatives, just PewPew.
    They're just as predictable and boring (and limited in their own sense) as human "All that tasty Cargo!" NPCs. Meh.
    They do play their small role though, so that's that.

Nutter

o7
    And the sad thing is, the changes in 3.3 provide so much extra scope for, at least, finding science stuff.

I still live in hope that the Guardians thing is going somewhere (and not just providing new toys that are an alternative to engineering) and that opens up our options for interacting with 'goids.
    It's not something I'd bet my house on though.

The automation is just a way of FD to avoid having to 'pay' Dav with bikkies to set the Thargoid server every Thursday.

They will eventually have to pay him to kill all the Thargoids when FD realizes 90% of the player base is not interested in them at all.

Maybe a Thargoid fungus is spread by AEGIS.

Nutter

o7
    It seems to me like there's still science to be had, at least on the level of back in the early days of the Unknown Artefact. For example, in a number of the Threat 4 NHSS's, there a human convoy flying there with chatter like they're carrying a Thargoid Probe/Sensor (I think I cargo scanned 'em once, but forgot what it was). Then they get jumped by Scouts.

Something is clearly afoot, and it seems to me like the Thargoids are being baited into the bubble.

And I still think Sirius Corp have a huge hand in all of that, and should be specifically targeted by players for in-game hurt. There's been plenty of indications of that over GalNet for years, since at least Halsey's disappearnce, and the recent actions of "rogue officers" only reinforced that.

Sadly, no one really seems that interested in that level of play anymore - if it doesn't have a marked in-game location, people ignore it. And I can't blame them, because FD has rarely rewarded actually interacting with developing lore.

I love the idea of getting involved in the thargoid stuff, but the huge capital and engineering investment vs the risk and low reward is off putting.

Nutter

o7
    The sensor and probe puzzles where nothing short of amazing. It was the only time I saw actually challenging puzzles in a non puzzle-video game.
    It was very well done. Let's hope we'll get some more.

Pew Pew is all that remains (Fun for a while still). Not that I would shed a tear if FDev use the thargoids to "reshape" the bubble. This whole silly optional invasion has to begone.
    Either they invade, or they don't. But the whole thing we have now stinks. Take it out and no more invasion in a 20lyr radius, like PP bubbles.

Not that puzzles could be merged with pewpew. For example one could imagine thargoids "growing" up hidden advanced beachheads in human territory that can be located with
    decryption puzzles from thargoid parts and so on.

What I would do in FDev shoes is seed each new galactic sector with a difficult puzzle leading to something cool to discover. That would ensure enough puzzles for a while and more
    chances to participate than for the sensor/probe mysteries. Just use the new rumor thing and seed clues galnet that then are added to the codex for the mystery in question.

Originally Posted by Lily from anim.o.v.e View Post (Source)
    It was once said that we players play a marginally low role at the overall grand scheme, yet the thargoid stuff is 100% influenced by players. But if we are just small in the grand scheme why would fending off and repairing stations be a player only task? feels rubbish and badly designed.

also the poll is skewed because people completely not interested in thargs simply ignore to poll so they don't even participate in saying "nope, don't care don't matter, don't want"

lore wise it doesn't even make sense, the thargs couldn't even take colonia and co, and now they set up a large scale bubble attack? This design choice is giant frozen pile of biowaste floating through space. And I blame mostly the pregrind for proper anti xeno stuff that FD implemented which made people not care much about it.
    lack of class one AX weapons and the guardian grind for weapons and then modules to support the power hungry weapons might have something to do with it as well, you've got a lot of hoops to jump though before you even start with Thargoids.

at least with permanent incursion state we will truly know if people are interested in combating Thargoids, if the bubble is a hotspot of incursion i guess FD will change something, if not a reshaped bubble might be quite nice.

So.... where can I buy a thardoid ship to mess with this part of the galaxy?...

Well nobody loses their ship, I remember a post about someone that was landed at a station for a while, a station that ended up burnt by thargoids... He logged to a warning that he was moved to the nearby rescue ship. And after that first week the station is 'Under repair'. So I can reassure Stealthie there's no ship loss involved.

My personal experience with Thargoid is such:
    -I'm good at ship design and engineering, I -could- build an interceptor killer, no problem. But I don't have the reflexes or combat skills to confidently try tackling one.
    -Instead, I designed a Viper4 for scout hunting, and it performs admirably with a pair of class 1 gauss cannons (guardian tech) along a pair of other AX weapons.
    -Thargoid scouts -can- be killed with regular human weapons, it's just easier to end them with guardian/ax weapons. For Interceptors it's another ball game.

So fighting scouts was a positive experience for me, felt different from Bounty hunting, the three kinds caused some fights to turn out differently. I had fun fighting scouts, and I don't even usually like fighting!

The one thing I really disliked about thargoid stuff is station repair:
    -I once tried bringing my trader to a damaged station hoping to do my part to repair it... And when I saw they wanted 400 thousand tons of one thing, thirty thousand of another... I got discouraged at the scale of the requirements, this was compounded by my reading the forums about a known bug 'sometimes deliveries don't count towards repair'. Ugh.

In short: Station repair is too pharaonic a project
    I would recommend the following:
    1-Reducing those thresholds so there's nothing above 25-50 thousand tons in the demands, these add up fast when there's multiple stations to repair.
    2-Add a gradual repair over time by NPCs, so there's a bit of compensation for the number of damaged stations increasing.
    3-For the love of science fix that bug that makes deliveries not count. Effort not counting is the worst.

If the Thargoids are being too aggressive and taking over too many systems, not as desired or seen as productive, the Dungeon Master (FD) will surely simply rein it in?

Nutter

o7
    I didn't vote but most likely would have voted 'no interest' as well. But then I'm also one of the probably few explorers who likes the pew pew too. My only gripes with the Thargoids are that their 'danger' was/is optional. Rest assured, if they dare to touch my home and neighbor systems my tolerant attitude will come to a sudden end.

That said, I do agree it's a pity that only pew pew with the Thargoids was the only aspect that made it into the game. Another wonderful missed opportunity for some decent gameplay enhancement.

Originally Posted by NeilF View Post (Source)
    If the Thargoids are being to aggressive and taking over too many systems, not as desired or seen as productive, the Dungeon Master (FD) will surely simply rein it in?
    I bet exactly that is what will happen, sadly. FD will never really dare to hurt us... and yet it would be such a wonderful chance to melt the community together.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123458 ... LastLast