Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 234569 ... LastLast

Thread: Thargoids taking over the bubble in 3.. 2...

Originally Posted by picommander View Post (Source)
    I didn't vote but most likely would have voted 'no interest' as well. But then I'm also one of the probably few explorers who likes the pew pew too. My only gripes with the Thargoids are that their 'danger' was/is optional. Rest assured, if they dare to touch my home and neighbor systems my tolerant attitude will come to a sudden end.

That said, I do agree it's a pity that only pew pew with the Thargoids was the only aspect that made it into the game. Another wonderful missed opportunity for some decent gameplay enhancement.

I bet exactly that is what will happen, sadly. FD will never really dare to hurt us...
    Seeing how many people ragequit on trivial things I think this is a valid economical decision

Originally Posted by Bigmaec View Post (Source)
    Seeing how many people ragequit on trivial things I think this is a valid economical decision
    Thanks for waking me up.

Originally Posted by NeilF View Post (Source)
    If the Thargoids are being to aggressive and taking over too many systems, not as desired or seen as productive, the Dungeon Master (FD) will surely simply rein it in?
    Depends on what type of story is being told/built.

As a GM my rule is never threaten to take away something if your not willing to actually do it.

If the Thargoids are being to aggressive and taking over too many systems, not as desired or seen as productive, the Dungeon Master (FD) will surely simply rein it in?
    Turns out the the common cold affects Thargoids too and they just abducted too many ill people.

Originally Posted by moorison View Post (Source)
    Turns out the the common cold affects Thargoids too and they just abducted too many ill people.
    Did anyone try to throw a glass of water at them?

Here is what will unite Cmdrs against the Thargoids: Destroying the Voyager-Probes! (Or taking control of Sol even if this would benefit the other powers.)

Here is what will unite Cmdrs against the Thargoids: Destroying the Voyager-Probes! (Or taking control of Sol even if this would benefit the other powers.)
    Why? I wouldn't care honestly.

What would works is the following :

Have the thargoids appear in the PP map with control systems. When thargoids setup a base, all systems in the 20 lyr bubble start to get incursion and burn.

Slowly constrict the bubble that way. Wait until people realize that 2/3 of the bubble is wrecked and start to defend what's left.
    Make defense as much about pewpew as it being about exploring/uncovering guardian ruins and setting up defenses with mini-procedural CG's for truckers.

You would get a good creeping invasion story going from : noone care about this system at the edge to Imperials regroup around Achenar building up a redoubt.

In the end we would get a smaller bubble (higher player concentration) and tons of wrecked stations for scavenging gameplay

Originally Posted by Lance 'Spacecat' D. View Post (Source)
    Well nobody loses their ship, I remember a post about someone that was landed at a station for a while, a station that ended up burnt by thargoids... He logged to a warning that he was moved to the nearby rescue ship. And after that first week the station is 'Under repair'. So I can reassure Stealthie there's no ship loss involved.
    I realise that's currently the case.

I do wonder what'd happen if you had ships aboard a damaged station, they got moved to a rescue ship and then they stayed there for a long period - perhaps 'cos the owner was taking a break from the game?
    Presumably, if the rescue ship went away again, after the station was repaired, any ships would just get moved back to the station again?

Mostly, though, I was thinking that FDev might just decide to "ramp things up" by having ships get destroyed.
    Honestly, I can't really see that happening for the same reason - It'd be pretty halfassed if somebody was on a break, came back and discovered that their entire fleet had been wiped-out while they were away.
    If they did start destroying people's ships, though, I think that'd pretty-much be the ultimate insult to the time and effort players put in (more-so that a loss of credits, even) so it probably would be enough to make me quit.

yep - they have a module for that

Originally Posted by Bigmaec View Post (Source)
    Why? I wouldn't care honestly.
    Yes, that would probably be not enough.

Destroying the Anaconda factories! No more new Anacondas.

Originally Posted by Daniel264 View Post (Source)
    I love the idea of getting involved in the thargoid stuff, but the huge capital and engineering investment vs the risk and low reward is off putting.
    If you go for fighting scouts, it's actually not bad at all. You don't even need special weapons (although Guardian or AX will make them die quicker). Scouts are pretty low-threat. Presumably, if you get into a wing, Cyclopses are a lot less high-requirement as well (remember, don't need to grind anything for AX weapons). Hopefully, the upcoming patch will make getting into a wing a lot easier with Squadrons.

Originally Posted by Muetdhiver View Post (Source)
    What would works is the following :

Have the thargoids appear in the PP map with control systems. When thargoids setup a base, all systems in the 20 lyr bubble start to get incursion and burn.

Slowly constrict the bubble that way. Wait until people realize that 2/3 of the bubble is wrecked and start to defend what's left.
    Make defense as much about pewpew as it being about exploring/uncovering guardian ruins and setting up defenses with mini-procedural CG's for truckers.

You would get a good creeping invasion story going from : noone care about this system at the edge to Imperials regroup around Achenar building up a redoubt.

In the end we would get a smaller bubble (higher player concentration) and tons of wrecked stations for scavenging gameplay
    That would be absolutely amazing!

If the bubble begins to fall to quickly, I'm sure FD will just nerf the Thargoids so killing less with cancel the apocalypse.

That said, if FD sorted out the weapons and modules situation so we don't need a dedicated AX ship, that requires fixed aim precision, then more people would get involved.

Good way to "fix" the AX mess would be to have the possibility to put an "AX" special effect on any weapon with engineers, such that G5 + AX special ~ dedicated AX weapons vs thargoids.
    Also, regular weapons should be somewhat effective vs thargoids. Maybe with a 50%-60% penalty, but not being nerf guns either.

That would :

1. Partly solve the dedicated loadout mess. Sure you have the AX special, but your weapons are not nerf guns vs regular NPC's.
    2. Don't have dedicated loadout ? Can still do something to them. A G5 MC with a 50% penalty would still be about 75% of a dedicated AX weapon or G5 with AX special.
    3. Open more ways to load up for bear.

Originally Posted by CMDR_Cosmicspacehead View Post (Source)
    That said, if FD sorted out the weapons and modules situation so we don't need a dedicated AX ship, that requires fixed aim precision, then more people would get involved.
    Yeah, this really REALLY needs to happen.

• AX capabilities to all existing "vanilla" and human Tech Broker weapons
    • Anti-human capabilities to AX weapons, along with normal synth requirements
    • Normal synth requirements for Guardian weapons
    • No AX/Guardian weapon limit
    • AX/Guardian engineering

Could even keep some of the flavor, if you wanted, like have AX gear only to 80% damage to humans, and "vanilla" weapons do 80% AX damage. It's a similar situation to PvP - some ability to specialize is good, requiring total specialization is not. (which, granted, is not required for some Thargoid combat)

Most of those changes can be made by just flipping numbers in a database even - I mean, assuming a logical back-end design for the game. These shouldn't be complex adjustments (aside from new Engineering).

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 234569 ... LastLast