Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3456710 ... LastLast

Thread: Thargoids taking over the bubble in 3.. 2...

Originally Posted by Muetdhiver View Post (Source)
    Good way to "fix" the AX mess would be to have the possibility to put an "AX" special effect on any weapon with engineers, such that G5 + AX special ~ dedicated AX weapons vs thargoids.
    I sort of like the idea of AX specials, but I'd like it see it accomplished in a way that doesn't enforce such a PvE/PvP imbalance as having PvE-only specials like that.

Originally Posted by picommander View Post (Source)
    I didn't vote but most likely would have voted 'no interest' as well. But then I'm also one of the probably few explorers who likes the pew pew too. My only gripes with the Thargoids are that their 'danger' was/is optional. Rest assured, if they dare to touch my home and neighbor systems my tolerant attitude will come to a sudden end.

That said, I do agree it's a pity that only pew pew with the Thargoids was the only aspect that made it into the game. Another wonderful missed opportunity for some decent gameplay enhancement.

I bet exactly that is what will happen, sadly. FD will never really dare to hurt us... and yet it would be such a wonderful chance to melt the community together.
    It wouldn't melt "the" community together, merely a certain subsection of the community.
    Other subsections might just turn their back on the game and throw in the towel.
    The thing is, those people buy paint jobs too.
    The way it's going to be implemented seems like a sensible compromise.
    Thargoids get their own BGS mechanic, people who care about their factions and anyone else who enjoys their combat can engage.
    Everyone else doesn't have anything forced upon them and at worst can move to another system.
    If all fails, and the scenario the OP describes happens, FD can correct the situation.
    And "correcting the situation" doesn't necessarily mean just flipping a switch.
    Of course FD doesn't want to just drive players away, this is a business afterall.
    I thought people would have been glad that Thargoids aren't merely FD seeded events anymore, but an independent game feature.

As soon as I had to fit special weapons that were ineffective against human ships the Thargoids were added to my ignore list.

In the voice of a very well known captain "Make it so"

The Thargoid content is a series of good ideas that were very badly implemented. Key issues being:

1- Large Grind to unlock AX/Guardian equipment.
    2- Terrible payouts for killing thargoids.
    3- No connection to the events. Aka I have no reason to care what happens and the game does a poor job of letting me know anything is happening (This may be fixed in chapter 4)

Individually any of those these issues is not enough to sink the content, but all three combined just make the thargoid storyline a giant "Meh". Which is too bad, I love the concept. I want to care.

I see zero reason to spend large amounts of time, for large amounts of risk, for terribly payout, on a sisyphean effort.

Edit: I like that specialized weapons are needed, I like that these items need to be "Researched" aka unlocked. I don't like how doing so burns through a lot of time and precious materials to unlock them only so I can get paid less killing thargoids than I get paid to haul biowaste.

It should only have been a mission that required a single trip through the guardian sites to unlock all the weapons. Possibly a chain of missions that progressively get harder and unlock more stuff. Don't make me do that crap multiple times battling an RNG. Same for AX weapons.

Originally Posted by Muetdhiver View Post (Source)
    Good way to "fix" the AX mess would be to have the possibility to put an "AX" special effect on any weapon with engineers, such that G5 + AX special ~ dedicated AX weapons vs thargoids.
    Also, regular weapons should be somewhat effective vs thargoids. Maybe with a 50%-60% penalty, but not being nerf guns either.

That would :

1. Partly solve the dedicated loadout mess. Sure you have the AX special, but your weapons are not nerf guns vs regular NPC's.
    2. Don't have dedicated loadout ? Can still do something to them. A G5 MC with a 50% penalty would still be about 75% of a dedicated AX weapon or G5 with AX special.
    3. Open more ways to load up for bear.
    I agree. If normal weapons have a chance against Thargoids or AX weapons against humans, even if no other experimental effect would be possible, it would solve the problem of not having the right equipment for the occasion.

Originally Posted by Eldragon View Post (Source)
    The Thargoid content is a series of good ideas that were very badly implemented. Key issues being:

2- Terrible payouts for killing thargoids.
    3- No connection to the events. Aka I have no reason to care what happens and the game does a poor job of letting me know anything is happening (This may be fixed in chapter 4)

Individually any of those these issues is not enough to sink the content, but all three combined just make the thargoid storyline a giant "Meh". Which is too bad, I love the concept. I want to care.

I see zero reason to spend large amounts of time, for large amounts of risk, for terribly payout, on a sisyphean effort.
    Not difficulty? People don't like to admit when a game is too hard, but I daresay about 30-40% of the player base could - if they put a few hours into it (/have already) - wipe a Cyclops out, 15-20% a Basilisk, 1% a Medusa, 0.1% a Hydra, and max 0.01% get to wave 3 of an AX CZs with 4 swarms of 128 Thargons plus inciter berserker scouts, 3 Medusas, 2 Hydras and partridge in a pear tree. Who is actually feeling that all their "progress" since 2014 has paid off in these boss fights? I just don't get designing missions and compromised nav beacons at difficulty level 2 and then Thargoids at level 11 ... and then make them non optional?

I voted "Thargoids are nice backdrop content but I don't interact with it" because I'm not there yet in my ED ability. But it is a concern that my home station could someday be attacked and or destroyed. I've considered building a Thargoid defense ship so if or when they come I can defend my home. Still a ways off for me and I hope I can be ready for it should it happen.

I've been telling people FDev are going to make the bubble burn. And everyone will have to move to Colonia. Well... not HAVE to. But the will need to move if they want to have normal missions instead of rescue ones. I think a few streamers say the same thing. EG: MalicVR and Truthsayer

Originally Posted by Notwyn View Post (Source)
    As soon as I had to fit special weapons that were ineffective against human ships the Thargoids were added to my ignore list.
    I highly recommend giving the Guardian weapons a second look. Effective against both humans and Thargoids, not too bad work to get them since they reduced the requirements. Even better if you plan your loadout in advance and so minimize the need to go back to unlock different types.

I've recently moved all my main fleet over to using Guardian Plasma Chargers and Shock Cannons. Very effective against humans and Thargoid Scouts, and if I find myself in a group fight against larger 'Goids, I won't be totally useless.

Originally Posted by FNLWA View Post (Source)
    Given that around 70% of players don't care too much for Thargoid content* the new incursion state (which lasts indefinitely) might actually become a big deal.

Worst case scenario: Requirement to fend-off Thargoids in a system way is too high, eventually there will be damaged stations all over and noone bothering to repair.

The bubble 6 months from now:

All I'm saying is, historically speaking, FD sometimes often needs a little time to get the balance right. I fear for the bubble.

----------------------------------------------------------------
    *10k votes, and yes, it's only OA viewers but it's still a good estimate
    When all ports and systems got shot by Thargoids....than it means GAME OVER

Frontier closes the doors from the Elite Dangerous floor and maybe, maybe not makes a new one^^

Currently (before 3.4), killing Thargoids doesn't make any difference at any level. In 3.4 (apparently), killing Thargoids will be like influencing the BGS, you'll have to be at it pretty constantly in some sort of organized group to make a difference. Personally, I don't belong to any group as I just play for an hour here and there, so I can't make any difference if the Thargoids attack (any more than I can individually influence the BGS).
    So there is really no incentive for me to grind for the specialized equipment I need to go after Thargoids, spending the time to "git gud", spending an hour at high risk combat to make 3 or 4 Mil, as there is simply no ROI in it. I'm pretty sure the majority feels the same way, hence a lack of real interest in focusing on Thargoid content. I'll likely spend some time here and there working on a bug killer ship, and when the inevitable CG shows up for anti-thargoid operations I'll take part (maybe help save a system), and the CG rewards make it (slightly more) worthwhile, then I'll participate.

Why are people SO opposed to the idea of having either a dedicated AX ship or needing to transfer modules in/out of a Combat ship for an AX Build???
    Presumably the vast majority of people have different Combat/Exploration/Trading ships? Rather than exploring in their Corvette, trading in their FDL and fighting in their Type 7...so why such a disconnect between THAT and having a different ship for fighting Aliens?

Originally Posted by Eldragon View Post (Source)

AFAIK, there is zero grind or unlock of any AX (non-Guardian) equipment. Just buy it off the shelf.

Originally Posted by CookieJarviz View Post (Source)
    I've been telling people FDev are going to make the bubble burn. And everyone will have to move to Colonia. Well... not HAVE to. But the will need to move if they want to have normal missions instead of rescue ones. I think a few streamers say the same thing. EG: MalicVR and Truthsayer
    There are c15,000 stations in the bubble...lets give Eliteangerous 3 years from now to continue as a widely played and supported game...
    Now EVEN if NO systems were EVER successfully defended AND NO Station was EVER repaired
    The Thargoids would need to attack 25 Stations EVERY week (Its currently just gone up from 2 to 3) to damage/destroy ONE QUARTER (25%) of Stations within the Bubble in the Games realistic lifespan...

I wouldn't lose sleep over it...

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3456710 ... LastLast