Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jumping in to unknown systems still terrifies me.

Target the next system vector, when count down start, idle back to zero. Falling out of hyper isn't an issue regardless of type of star.

Originally Posted by Saool View Post (Source)
    You are not alone. I have the same irrational unease at very close binaries. I think, for me, it stems from the Spectrum version of Elite and the Nova mission in particular.

In that you had a fuel leak upon entering the system. You had to go scoop fuel before docking or you were dead. When you docked you were told the station was being evacuated as the star was about to go nova, and the station had no fuel left. In the Atari version there was then a mission to rescue people. When you unlocked (on the Spectrum) the normal white graphics turned red, and if you where pointing towards the star you could see it rapidly expanding. This was terrifying. Sometimes it was hidden behind the planet, but as it got bigger it appeared around the edges of the planet, getting bigger and bigger. I died on more that one occasion because I was frozen in horror (seriously). Eventually I stated doing them with my eyes closed, pressing the keys for hyperspace by touch. I also remember, as a child, having nightmares about it. I would be in space and I was surrounded by stars and all suddenly went red and rapidly expanded. Everywhere I turned I was seeing the nova mission.

This is a very odd irrational fear. But it is real. I sometimes laugh at peoples fear of spiders, but that it is whole point: it is irrational. It took me a few jumps in Elite Dangerous, to get used to rushing up to the star on exit from supercruse as it sent that same 'oh crap' tingle through me the first few times. And yes, on the few occations I have force dropped on hitting a close binary I have had to fight off that irrational surge of 'oh crap nova, oh crap nova, oh crap nova' and get it together.

I tried to find a screen shot, but could not find one, so I mocked it up in Photoshop:

Obviously you would never see it from this point of view as you would never get this far from the station. You had about 15 seconds to unlock and jump (hyperspace spool up took 10 of those) or you were toast... literally.
    Iím totally stealing that screengrab as a Lave Liberation Front flag.

Originally Posted by EISENHORN01 View Post (Source)

sorry folks this shows why Iím a pipe fitter and not in one of the greatest bands of all time. Apologies for butchering an awesome track if you can improve it please please do so
    Bay City Rollers?!

I can handle anything the game throws at me.
    But when my dog suddenly barks behind me I jump out of the chair!

When I first start up the game I usually get a slight case of anxiety and my heart starts beating a little faster. Takes about 10 minutes for me to come back down to what I call normal. Not had any issues going into unknown systems... yet. And yes, I always throttle down to zero when I'm coming out of hyper and giving the system a good look over to see which way to steer before speeding back up. Only had one star problem (scooping too close) so far and after I got all the damage fixed I had to have a long apologetic conversation with my ship.

Originally Posted by DNA-Decay View Post (Source)
    fuxwd That For you
    Haha! That was actually better than I thought it was going to be, they've treated their subject matter with respect. Thanks for share.

mikekim
    Sure you weren't listening to "set the controls for the heart of the sun" ��
    Prophetic visions of Elite Dangerous? Must have been some particuarly bad acid...

You are not alone. I have the same irrational unease at very close binaries. I think, for me, it stems from the Spectrum version of Elite and the Nova mission in particular.
    That actually sounds pretty horrifying to me!
    I am sure the original Elite contributed (although I don't remember that bit specifically) to my childhood nightmares, but I was always very much interested in astronomy. Being born the year Voyager left Earth, I remember seeing those first close up images of Jupiter and Saturn, and it absolutely mesmerised me. Something about the enormity and power of those objects must have found its way in to my dreams. I remember being keenly aware of how small and insignificant I was in the grand scheme of things; our pale blue dot and all those other planets forever locked in a deadly embrace around a star; and the more I learned about stars, the more that thought terrified me. Sometimes Elite tugs at that childhood conceptualisation, and I feel that emptiness again. Of course, everything I envisioned as a child was in fact terrifyingly real, but it was harder to process back then.

Having some prior knowledge of astrophysics (aided by Pink Floyd and a little suspension of disbelief) does make the game more frightening. After all, a person who has no idea about the true nature of lions would not fear putting their head in a lion's mouth. Jumping so close to uncharted stars (especially stellar remnants) is clearly an insane thing to do, childhood memories aside.

Originally Posted by Ulrich Wolfe View Post (Source)
    Last night it happened again. I was en route to a Guardian site, Pink Floyd on the cockpit stereo, all is calm. Another red dwarf in the next system, and ... WHAM! I jump THROUGH a near-contact binary and pop out somewhere between it and the host star. A few heat sinks later and I am out with my ship intact, but I can't say the same for my sanity.

I must have some sort of deep set phobia when it comes to close binaries. Just jumping in to a system and seeing another star looming close by is enough to send shivers up my spine; in fact it terrifies me. I am not scared of losing my ship/data, I am terrified at a deep, irrational (it's only a video game) level. Every time I jump in to an unknown system I find myself holding my breath.

(I am not a huge fan of stellar remnants, either, but I tend to avoid those, and if I can't avoid them at least I can steel myself for the encounter - it's those 'jump' surprise close binaries that get me)

Before I head back to the black, I want to tip my hat to all you steely-eyed, iron-balled explorers out there. o7
    Black holes do the same thing to me. I know that they are not dangerous but they make a shudder go up and down my spine.

Originally Posted by Saool View Post (Source)
    In that you had a fuel leak upon entering the system. You had to go scoop fuel before docking or you were dead. When you docked you were told the station was being evacuated as the star was about to go nova, and the station had no fuel left. In the Atari version there was then a mission to rescue people.
    That was a great mission. On the Spectrum version you could also rescue people, but you had to go to the Buy screen to get the request, and you'd end up with 20T or 35T of Refugees if you accepted. A limitation of the UI, I guess. Understandable that some players may have missed it. There was also a minor bug of sorts with this because when you got to another station the survivors would reward you with 100 units of gemstones, and the Sell screen would only accept two-digit values for transactions. You had to sell it in two lots. Not a game-breaker by any means (unlike the bazillion-credit Save bug that was basically click-to-win), but an early example of programmers not thinking through the consequences of adding extra features.

It was my second favourite Spectrum mission after the cloaked Asp. And yes, it was terrifying.

Haha! That was actually better than I thought it was going to be, they've treated their subject matter with respect. Thanks for share.
    Years ago I gave a copy of that album to an old-school Floyd fan as a gag gift. Once the eye-rolling had stopped he got quite into it. He and his missus were fans of a range of musical genres, which probably helped. I can imagine some prog-rock purists wanting to set fire to their own ears.

Last night it happened again. I was en route to a Guardian site, Pink Floyd on the cockpit stereo, all is calm. Another red dwarf in the next system, and ... WHAM! I jump THROUGH a near-contact binary and pop out somewhere between it and the host star. A few heat sinks later and I am out with my ship intact, but I can't say the same for my sanity.

I must have some sort of deep set phobia when it comes to close binaries. Just jumping in to a system and seeing another star looming close by is enough to send shivers up my spine; in fact it terrifies me. I am not scared of losing my ship/data, I am terrified at a deep, irrational (it's only a video game) level. Every time I jump in to an unknown system I find myself holding my breath.

(I am not a huge fan of stellar remnants, either, but I tend to avoid those, and if I can't avoid them at least I can steel myself for the encounter - it's those 'jump' surprise close binaries that get me)

Before I head back to the black, I want to tip my hat to all you steely-eyed, iron-balled explorers out there. o7
    There used to be a way to deal with this. If you clicked on the next star/jump, you would se any other stars in the system pop up in the galaxy map, and they would be in their correct position (in terms of orbit location, not distances), so if you looked at your approach line and if it crossed a star, you'd know there is a chance things may get interesting. Of course, you did not know if it as a contact binary, or just a partner star 500000Ls away.

Now that you end up facing towards your next jump, it'd take a slightly different approach, but should still be viable. Thing is, it happens so rarely (I think I've had a proper emergency twice in over 10000000 light years), that I just wouldn't ever bother.

Z...

You should hear their version of the Seargent Pepper’s Lonely Heart’s Club Band album.

You should hear their version of the Seargent Pepper’s Lonely Heart’s Club Band album.
    I've listened to the Dark Side album twice now, but I've just found the Radiohead album...

Edit: Sorry 'Radiodread'

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12