Page 4 of 6 First 23456 Last
Results 46 to 60 of 80

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: [Video] Leaked Thargoid models

  1. #46
    Not very original. I expected better.

  2. #47
    I wasn't going to spend any more time on this subject, but here goes anyway.
    Design of any character, vehicle or even object must follow the theme set by the story of that character.


    XENOMORPH (from the "Alien" films)
    To quote the android Ash from the first movie;
    "I admire its purity. A survivor. Unclouded by conscience, remorse or delusions of morality."

    Eyes convey deeper emotion whether it's good or evil - but since the whole Xenomorph concept revolves around being beyond those things, the eyes are irrelevant to the character design and storytelling.

    The Xenmorph mouth is not there to convey emotions in the Xenomorph. The mouth design has no muscles that can make it smile or look hungry.
    It's there purely for the audience to represent our most primal fear - being bitten and eaten by a predator. It even doubles down on this by literally having a double mouth.

    If the alien killed people in other ways than biting (like claws), then the mouth would also have been irrelevant to the design.


    HEPTAPODS (from the "Arrival" film)
    The story premise is that we humans, like with the Thargoids, don't understand anything about the aliens AT ALL. The aliens have no eyes, nose or mouth. They don't speak in language that we can pronounce. To keep it short for those haven't seen the movie: They eventually communicate through writing https://youtu.be/AZ4oGBgxiuY?t=14

    Again, the alien design serves the story. We don't understand them because we have no frame of reference - no eyes to look into, no mouth to see if they are grimacing.

    I'll have to stop myself before I go on with too many. I had written titles for half a dozen more.

    ---------

    As for the Thargoid design - it ultimately comes down what the storyteller (Frontier) has planned with them in the long run.
    All we've seen so far is a potential preproduction model. We don't know how far in production the model is. Is the mesh even finished? Has the modeler done any basic rigging? etc.

    I do love the details on the feet. They are indeed more insect-like rather the more common crab-like features that we often see. (Crab feet are sharp spikes)

  3. #48
    After seeing these I really hope they don't change the design (if that's what they were going to use) because of the leak. I like it.

    Also, I now understand, after seeing their faces, that the humans are like a continuation of Sauron for them. The Guardians likely committed atrocities against them, brought them close to extinction and were defeated by some heroic miracle. They thought they had made the worlds safe for their kids. Now here we are digging up murder machines that we have no claim to nor the wisdom to understand.

    I guarantee we fired the first shot. This is all a lie!

  4. #49
    Originally Posted by PhanttoM View Post (Source)
    I wasn't going to spend any more time on this subject, but here goes anyway.
    Design of any character, vehicle or even object must follow the theme set by the story of that character.
    Yes a character has to fit a certain role in a story or situation.


    Originally Posted by PhanttoM View Post (Source)
    [INDENT]XENOMORPH (from the "Alien" films)
    To quote the android Ash from the first movie;
    "I admire its purity. A survivor. Unclouded by conscience, remorse or delusions of morality."

    Eyes convey deeper emotion whether it's good or evil - but since the whole Xenomorph concept revolves around being beyond those things, the eyes are irrelevant to the character design and storytelling.

    The Xenmorph mouth is not there to convey emotions in the Xenomorph. The mouth design has no muscles that can make it smile or look hungry.
    It's there purely for the audience to represent our most primal fear - being bitten and eaten by a predator. It even doubles down on this by literally having a double mouth.

    If the alien killed people in other ways than biting (like claws), then the mouth would also have been irrelevant to the design.
    Yes the Xenomorph was designed convey little emotion. They do scream and shriek when hurt. However, fear is an emotion and that is what the Xenomorph instills with it creepy design, sharp claws, big jaw and teeth.


    Originally Posted by PhanttoM View Post (Source)
    As for the Thargoid design - it ultimately comes down what the storyteller (Frontier) has planned with them in the long run.
    All we've seen so far is a potential preproduction model. We don't know how far in production the model is. Is the mesh even finished? Has the modeler done any basic rigging? etc.

    I do love the details on the feet. They are indeed more insect-like rather the more common crab-like features that we often see. (Crab feet are sharp spikes)
    Yes I think Frontier should make the Thargoids more sophisticated so that they're more interesting than soulless husks. They need some alien facial features to express themselves in a multitude of ways.

  5. #50
    Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post (Source)
    Yes the Xenomorph was designed convey little emotion. They do scream and shriek when hurt. However, fear is an emotion and that is what the Xenomorph instills with it creepy design, sharp claws, big jaw and teeth.
    Edit: Removed my post. You're not going to agree.

  6. #51
    Originally Posted by Aldaris View Post (Source)
    Edit: Removed my post. You're not going to agree.
    Of course he won't. In his mind he basically needs the mass effect aliens so he can try to bed them. Some humanoid aliens are fine but if you want something truly alien then we need to not be able to understand it.

    Also if thargoids are from ammonia worlds then that's even better as they aren't a water using carbon-based lifeform which indeed fits the build as truly alien.

    Not everything alien needs to be understood

  7. #52
    I dont understand why people want space legs so badly. Theres not much to do in your ship, what exactly are you going to walk around and do?

    I'd rather they spend the resources actually voicing and animating the mission board, livening up the comms chatter and mission instances or something.

  8. #53
    Originally Posted by oflow View Post (Source)
    I dont understand why people want space legs so badly. Theres not much to do in your ship, what exactly are you going to walk around and do?

    I'd rather they spend the resources actually voicing and animating the mission board, livening up the comms chatter and mission instances or something.
    While interesting and others feel its un-needed, we could get some form of potential FPS action... Thargoids could teleport on our ship or something and we have to fight them off or lose our ship. Or we could go into the old INRA bases or some Guardian structure and investigate on foot where we can't reach with SRV.

  9. #54
    Originally Posted by Phazon Xenomorph View Post (Source)
    While interesting and others feel its un-needed, we could get some form of potential FPS action...
    Why does the game need FPS in it?

  10. #55
    I am kinda of the same opinion about the oul legs.. but then I think of the times I would love to get out of the chair, go walkabouts and check the ship over.. or land on a planet and play football...

  11. Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. #56
    Hello folks,

    The model detailed in Yamiks' video is actually an old model from 2014, which the community had previously discovered, and is not indicative of our plans for Elite Dangerous.

    Hope that helps to clarify things!

  12. #57
    Originally Posted by Will Flanagan View Post (Source)
    Hello folks,

    The model detailed in Yamiks' video is actually an old model from 2014, which the community had previously discovered, and is not indicative of our plans for Elite Dangerous.

    Hope that helps to clarify things!

  13. #58
    Originally Posted by Will Flanagan View Post (Source)
    Hello folks,

    The model detailed in Yamiks' video is actually an old model from 2014, which the community had previously discovered, and is not indicative of our plans for Elite Dangerous.

    Hope that helps to clarify things!
    So basically Yamiks and OA are #fakenews / #oldnews covfefe. Figures

  14. This is the last staff post in this thread. #59
    Originally Posted by Rubbernuke View Post (Source)

  15. #60