Page 5 of 6 First 3456 Last
Results 61 to 75 of 87

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: Doctor Who The Hell Let You Have A Pen And Write This Rubbish?

  1. #61
    Originally Posted by Stigbob View Post (Source)
    Definitely, in the new years special I wasn't bothered by the British army commander saying they'd surrounded the enemy whilst they all stood in "exposed blob kill us all now" formation hemmed in between two vehicles on an airfield with all other angles utterly uncovered.

    Their trousers being incorrectly pressed and the lack of well trimmed facial hair however was frankly disgusting.
    I think we've worked out how to save the next season.

    Lots of chaps hipfiring sterlings in a homoerotic manner while wearing maroon lids.

  2. #62
    Originally Posted by Factabulous View Post (Source)
    I like the added diversity, but the writing was poor, and Chibnall doesn't seem to do humour at all - I think it was the xmas one they start off talking about the fun times they've been having - which we don't see.

    Never been a fan of the single-episode format they've had since the reboot - no cliffhangers I was kinda hoping that someone who wrote Broadchrurch would bring it back to longer stories / arcs, but all that is happening is we get yanked out of what story there is for personal narrative scenes, and the abrupt changes of pace stand out like a sore thumb. Hopefully having 2019 off will give them time to reflect and come back with some new ideas. But less frogs.
    I'm sure they can bring back arcs quite easily. It didn't help that a lot of the stories for 2018 were written when they thought it would still be Capaldi, and were re-written (possibly in a hurry) for Whittaker. We shall see.

    Originally Posted by dannysquid View Post (Source)
    Rosa and Demons of the Punjab are the only episodes that have really stood out as something a bit special for me.

    Bring back [insert show runner of choice].

    I think the problem is that both Moffat and RTD are genuinely gifted writers (albeit in very different ways) and it's maybe unfair to expect to find somebody else of that calibre/experience who also knows and loves Doctor Who.
    Moffat and RTD are talented writers, as is Chibnall. However, as showrunners, they could all use more practice.

    Originally Posted by Jacques d'Orleans View Post (Source)
    IMHO, the next season will be the last one, I really do think they've crossed the rubicon with the last season and that there will be no return from there.
    To be fair, this season has had the highest viewing figures since Classic Who. I wouldn't call that a failure, no matter what you, I nor anyone else in this thread may think.

  3. #63
    Originally Posted by Goose4291 View Post (Source)
    I think we've worked out how to save the next season.

    Lots of chaps hipfiring sterlings in a homoerotic manner while wearing maroon lids.
    They should bring back Captain Jack Harkness just to flirt outrageously with them.

  4. #64
    Originally Posted by Siobhan View Post (Source)
    To be fair, this season has had the highest viewing figures since Classic Who. I wouldn't call that a failure, no matter what you, I nor anyone else in this thread may think.
    Yes, she had the best viewer rating for a Doctor Who debut episode with 10.96 million viewers (total) but then it constantly dropped down to 6.95 million viewers (total) in the new years special.
    Eccleston's debut episode "Rose" had 10.81 million viewers (total) and three of the christmas specials had over 12 million viewers in total.
    So she had slightly more than Eccleston with his debut episode, because most likely the people were curios about the new doctor. TBh, roughly 150.000 more viewers than Eccleston's debut episode is not really that much more after all the hype on Twatter and Tumblr and so on.
    The next season will air in 2020 so they have to pull up some good writing to get some good ratings again and somehow I highly doubt that Chinball is able to do that.

  5. #65
    Originally Posted by Stigbob View Post (Source)
    They should bring back Captain Jack Harkness just to flirt outrageously with them.

    Never understood why he called himself Captain and wore a RAF coat with Group Captain rank insignia (which is equivalent to a Colonel). And yes bring him back or even better bring Torchwood back.


  6. #66
    Originally Posted by Jacques d'Orleans View Post (Source)
    Never understood why he called himself Captain and wore a RAF coat with Group Captain rank insignia (which is equivalent to a Colonel). And yes bring him back or even better bring Torchwood back.
    I might have to upgrade my mancrush to proper fancying him.

  7. #67
    Well, I didn't think people would respond this way. I expected to be told to shut up, and take my vodka onto the naughty step. I get angry, as most of you know, and turn all the flags over, even when I love them.

    I deliberately did a wall of text; glance over it and guess the rest. I honestly expected a slap on the wrist from the mods, rather than people talking about it. I'm glad the latter survived.

    I know, that you know, that I'm an outspoken person; argumentative at best. Imagining Martians invading Earth; the biology etc, or Daleks controlling the military, a time machine that reveals social class becoming physical realities... That stuff is incredible.

    But it takes a couple of people with ideals to stop you imagining, and to tell you that it has been imagined for you. That is wrong on every level.

    These are the words of a drunk forum user.

  8. #68
    Originally Posted by Avago Earo View Post (Source)
    Well, I didn't think people would respond this way. I expected to be told to shut up, and take my vodka onto the naughty step. I get angry, as most of you know, and turn all the flags over, even when I love them.

    I deliberately did a wall of text; glance over it and guess the rest. I honestly expected a slap on the wrist from the mods, rather than people talking about it. I'm glad the latter survived.

    I know, that you know, that I'm an outspoken person; argumentative at best. Imagining Martians invading Earth; the biology etc, or Daleks controlling the military, a time machine that reveals social class becoming physical realities... That stuff is incredible.

    But it takes a couple of people with ideals to stop you imagining, and to tell you that it has been imagined for you. That is wrong on every level.

    These are the words of a drunk forum user.
    Talking of Martians invading earth book accurate BBC adaptation of war of the worlds due this year.

  9. #69
    Originally Posted by Stigbob View Post (Source)
    Talking of Martians invading earth book accurate BBC adaptation of war of the worlds due this year.
    It's my favourite book. I really hope the BBC doesn't screw it up, but I've already read a review that it's 'about the struggle of a married couple', so I don't have much hope now.


    The War Of The Worlds was about survival and the emotional and mental turmoil of all that you took for granted being swept aside. The empires coming to nothing, religion falling apart...

    But, if the BBC do the same old, and turn it into a grandstand of finger pointing blame games, which I fear they will, whilst having the opportunity to portray it in the era it was written in.

    Then the BBC can do one.

    I won't be surprised if they ruin it; they've ruined everything else.

  10. #70
    Originally Posted by Stigbob View Post (Source)
    Talking of Martians invading earth book accurate BBC adaptation of war of the worlds due this year.
    I hope it is good! Jeff Waynes adaption of it scared the crap out of me as a kid in the 80's

    I went to the stage show in Birmingham this year and it was way better then I hoped


  11. #71
    Originally Posted by Gortron View Post (Source)
    I hope it is good! Jeff Waynes adaption of it scared the crap out of me as a kid in the 80's

    I went to the stage show in Birmingham this year and it was way better then I hoped
    The record got me into the book. My parents got me the book, because I loved the record so much. I remember, having to look at the dictionary every other sentence. I was already behind at school when it came to English. Our teacher just smoked out of the class window, whilst playing Abba from his stereo, so passing exams was off the shelf.

    But I persevered, because Jeff Wayne had already paved the way. I read the book, and it took ages. Once I understood the long words, I read it again and the words fell off my tongue. That's when I fell in love with the English language and HG Wells and imagination. I hope the BBC don't destroy that in one fell virtue signalling swoop.

  12. #72
    it certainly couldn't be any worse than the recent Tom Cruise version.

  13. #73
    I hope not.

    I really hope we don't end up putting up with the lowest common denominator.

    'Well, it could have been worse'...

    How many people would have loved to put the story on screen, as a period drama, unmolested?

    How many people trust the BBC not to have some jumped up fool ruin it for their own nod and wink to a board of governor's serving an agenda, sitting in a circle of cowardice?

    I don't trust the BBC with anything, anymore.

  14. #74
    Originally Posted by Siobhan View Post (Source)
    it certainly couldn't be any worse than the recent Tom Cruise version.
    I'll see your Tom Cruise borefest and raise you The Asylum's* "H.G. Wells' War of the Worlds" mockbuster. The fighting machines had six legs!

    * Yes, the same studio that brought you "Transmorphers", "Five Headed Shark Attack" and the Sharknado series.

  15. #75
    Oh, and if you want a really bad War of the Worlds film, look no further than the Pendragon Pictures version. It's the WotW Ed Wood would have made if he'd lacked both talent and a budget.