Page 173 of 173 First 169171172173
Results 2,581 to 2,593 of 2593

Thread: If I wanted a 'radio-tuning' game I would have rather bought an old radio.

Originally Posted by Enderby View Post (Source)
    Oh Max... youíre actually on my ignore list but today Iíve seen your posts when Iíve been logged out. And I couldnít resist.

Itís a 2D move-to-the-blob minigame. That, my dear fellow, is why I consider it puerile. Itís pure puerility but pretending to not to be.

Other descriptions are available.
    Its a fantastic upgrade of the outdated and pointless ADS .

Originally Posted by Enderby View Post (Source)
    Oh Max... you’re actually on my ignore list but today I’ve seen your posts when I’ve been logged out.

It’s a 2D move-to-the-blob minigame. That, my dear fellow, is why I consider it puerile. It’s pure puerility but pretending to not to be.
    I mean, you say that, but personally I think they didn't go far enough in making it entirely unbelievable and shallow. It's still as believable as something you might see in the background on a monitor in the Scott Bakula era of Star Trek, when it could have been so much more deliciously worse than that.

Obviously what they should have done is put in several little gearwheels that you have to actually turn with your mouse pointer to move the inclination and angle of your telescope. Players with VR and motion control could actually experience the total immersion of winding the gears back and forth with realistic movements. Then you have another fly-wheel to physically tune in and out of the signals. You might say, well, why not just have a really trivial algorithm that tunes in for you, or one which actually does an optimised scanning pattern for you, to which I would reply, if you want kind of ridiculous black magic try Lord of the Rings, we don't believe in having computers do anything remotely useful in Elite Dangerous, we want to keep the raw adrenaline of moving a cursor around some blobs and twiddling a knob.

Really this design idiom should be extended to hyperspace jumps as well. Having a computer calculate the manipulation of exotic matter in order to warp the fabric of spacetime and propel a vessel across light years in an instant is for wusses. We should have people punching space with their bare fists until it gives up, instead.

Itís an overly tedious, silly way to replace a simple yet affective mechanic.

Originally Posted by Max Factor View Post (Source)
    You can still roleplay in your head. The FSS has not killed that, you have done that yourself.
    Yes it has. Its completely and utterly ruined and destroyed all fun and engagement. Now what can you really post except to tell me my opinion is wrong? Its like criticising somebody elses opinion of a piece of art.

Originally Posted by Deadlock-3000 View Post (Source)
    Really this design idiom should be extended
    I hope so. Cause if my fun has to be ruined i hope everybody gets a taste aswell.

Its kinda proven. My toddler today who absolutely loves elite, but i started doing a full clear of a system in the fss (just like will was demonstrating on the ed lewis stream) and the little tiger fell asleep. I think it must have been a combination of the monotony and the kinda hypnotic zoom in / zoom out.

Im still trying to work out why he likes elite so much. Yes its what dad is going, but compared to other digital things he comes into contact with its so very dull. He sticks his little arms in the air for the countdown on every jump.

Yeah so stick toddler pacification onto the list of rewards. Can bore anyone to sleep.

I don't see how it could ruin one's RP. You went from "honk" and flying around pointing your nose at a planet, to having to use a device to scan for planets and then probe them suckers.
    As you say however, difference of opinion. Pity Frontier tends to go from one extreme to another, it would have been nice if they'd made a real attempt to cater for both party's in some way (I don't agree with them running two parallel sections of code that do the same thing though).

Originally Posted by r0ckhat View Post (Source)
    I don't see how it could ruin one's RP. You went from "honk" and flying around pointing your nose at a planet, to having to use a device to scan for planets and then probe them suckers.
    As you say however, difference of opinion. Pity Frontier tends to go from one extreme to another, it would have been nice if they'd made a real attempt to cater for both party's in some way (I don't agree with them running two parallel sections of code that do the same thing though).
    I used to roleplay being a space pilot that flew around systems exploring stuff

Originally Posted by CMDR Karrde Sun View Post (Source)
    Its kinda proven. My toddler today who absolutely loves elite, but i started doing a full clear of a system in the fss (just like will was demonstrating on the ed lewis stream) and the little tiger fell asleep. I think it must have been a combination of the monotony and the kinda hypnotic zoom in / zoom out.

Im still trying to work out why he likes elite so much. Yes its what dad is going, but compared to other digital things he comes into contact with its so very dull. He sticks his little arms in the air for the countdown on every jump.

Yeah so stick toddler pacification onto the list of rewards. Can bore anyone to sleep.
    Short attention spans can do that.

Originally Posted by Burke View Post (Source)
    Yes it has. Its completely and utterly ruined and destroyed all fun and engagement.
    Also a puppy dies.

Originally Posted by Burke View Post (Source)
    I used to roleplay being a space pilot that flew around systems exploring stuff
    Basically "eyeballing" things?

( and now you can RP a space-pilot with a MEng in Radar. )

Originally Posted by r0ckhat View Post (Source)
    Short attention spans can do that.
    Typically though its the responsibility of the provider to offer something that's engaging enough to keep their attention.....

Whooaaaaa... thats blue..... and pulsing.... wow.... fascinating.

I can't rp as a scientist, because i was sciencing it i would do it better than pan and click with a trial and error matching mechanism put there to play match.

Typically though its the responsibility of the provider to offer something that's engaging enough to keep their attention.....

Whooaaaaa... thats blue..... and pulsing.... wow.... fascinating.

I can't rp as a scientist, because i was sciencing it i would do it better than pan and click with a trial and error matching mechanism put there to play match.
    I don't think Frontier designed the FSS with toddlers in mind.
    Thing is though, everyone is different ... it's always a crapshoot; can't please everyone. For many the ADS felt more like a placeholder, for others it was perfect.
    As I said above, it's a pity Frontier tend to go from one extreme to the other trying to please people; it's probably about time they stopped trying to please all and just built the damn game with an approach of "look, we'll take your feedback on board, and may make some adjustments etc; however, these are the tools/mechanics of how the game works. Deal."

Its pegi-7 and ESRB rating teen, will no one think of the children !!!!!.