Page 31 of 82 First 27293031323335 Last

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: Competition: Your Fondest Frontier Memory!

Originally Posted by PuffyEichhorst View Post (Source)
    Dab-dada-dadab-da-dab-dadab...(Blue danube waltz) while docking in VR....
    Don't mean to split hairs, but it's not
    Dab-dada-dadab-da-dab-dadab
    It is:

da-Daaa-daa-da-Dab_dab-dab_ dab-dab_ da-Daaa-daa-da-Dub_dub_dub _dub-dub_Da-daa-da-da-Deeeeeee-da-da-dooooooo ....et al. you get the drift...

I played Elite in 1984 on the BBC Master, having first tried it on a friend's Acorn Electron. My friend was a member of a computer games club, and we eagerly awaited our two copies of the Elite game, which arrived in a wonderful case on containing 5.25 inch disks.

We must have played the game together for at least three years after that, and along with Lego and other toys it gave us hours of fun to imagine flying our space-ships around the galaxy. We would take turns flying the ship or playing the navigator -- and this was an age when docking was reallyRumours went around school about secret missions, or versions of elite coming out for other platforms. We told each other wild stories about versions of the game that would be coming with cloaking devices and all sorts of other things. I can still remember the wonderful manual -- as much as the game itself, it fired the imagination. We never even thought to ask why the Cobra couldn't yaw. Spaceships were just like that.

A few years later, the Archimedes version of Elite seemed like magic -- a much more real-feeling universe, with police ships that really came to your rescue, or pirate attacks going on in the background. And even the odd hermit to find and bother.

Elite: Frontier and Elite: Close Encounters were fun -- I loved the Imperial ships especially, and the fact that the docking computer could be used in combat.

And with all that experience behind me, it's hard for me to fall in love with any ship in Elite Dangerous except for the Cobra Mk III -- armed with lasers and missiles. It is certainly not the best build in the game, but it brings back memories of a time when I really thought I would be living in space one day.

Buying a new machine specifically to play this game, unable to get the game to work, eventually discovering that the machine was faulty, getting a replacement machine & being able to play the game!

In the year 1984 i started my journey in space with Elite on a C64, a BBC B and an Amstrad cpc464.....
    We sat in a little cellar room at my friends home, started mostly with 5-6 guys, each one for just one flight from a system station to another. We were listening to the actual music in the background, having some nice drinks (at least we thougt so), talked about the girls and were playing from early friday evening till the sun came out again on saturday morning. The same gents are still active these days in Elite, but we sit in front our today PCs and hangig out on TS.

Nowadays with Chapter 4 it seems with the squadron feature, there is much room left, inspired by the possibilities what will come next

As a sidenote, i met David Braben in his first year at a pressbooth, gamescom in Cologne, a very gently person, who really got his feet on the ground, but being a visionar at the same time, really impressed by him, a true gentlemen! So i wish him and his company Frontier all the best a very successfull upcoming years with Elite!

Snappy Salute
    dhyran

I have two favourites moments and I can't decide which is best.
    In chronological order.
    First is when I discovered that the game I loved so much back in '84 had returned. As soon as I found out I upgraded my PC to a gaming machine and bought the Commander edition.
    Second is when, some time later, Me and my friends managed to "fly" an SRV into Valegorski Orbital.

o7

My first memory? But which one exactly? First check ship systems? Recovering from touching the keys modules. First mission and first 10,000 credits? Or perhaps the first contact with another pilot? The first jump, the first battle, the first lost ship. The first passenger, the first star and the planet discovered by me? The first tons of ore mined, the first million earned, the first contact with aliens. I flew more than three thousand hours and twice crossed the galaxy. I have a lot of first memories. From defeat in a duel, to the rescue of capsules from the bottom of the gorge, where no ship could land. And all these memories are priceless. And they are all the best.

It would have been about 1985 I think. A mate of mine got a computer - the much wished-for Commodore 64. He told me about a game he had, called 'Elite'; he said it was like Star Wars but better.

I went around to have a look. When I got there, he was already playing it - so my very first memory of Elite is seeing a Coriolis station swirl forwards as he docked. That image is etched into my mind - one of those memories that stays forever. I sat there for about 2 hours I think - just watching him show me all the stuff there was to do, I was utterly entranced. I had to get this game.

My dad wanted to get a computer - mostly because he was starting to use them at work and wanted to write some programs at home; so the big decision was Apple or C64? Luckily he chose the C64 (with some strong preferences expressed by my brother and I) and in 1986 I became the proud commander of my own starship! I've lost all the notes I kept (sadly) but I still have the original box, poster, and the Dark Wheel!

I've bought every version of the game since - for the platforms that I had at the time; so I don't have a complete collection. Elite has been part of my life - I'll never get the real chance to fly my own Cobra Mk3 out to uncharted nebulae, but Elite gives me the way to do it in my mind instead.

Thanks David Braben & Frontier for writing something that has become part of who I am.

I'm fairly new to Frontier in the grand scheme of things, starting with Elite Dangerous so my best memory so far would be discovering and scanning an earth-like world for the first time. Is like striking gold

I first played Elite on the BBC at, what was then Glasgow Tech - now Caledonian University ("wasting" my time when I should have been doing something more serious) and waiting for what seemed an interminable time for the game to be released on anything else (c64 in my case).
    Glad to say it turns out the time wasn't wasted - I now work in IT within a University research facility that among other things deals with engineering real spacecraft.
    Take that - responsible behaviour
    Fast forward to a few years ago and I had decided to put OOlite back on the pc and was searching for and downloading mods that gave it better graphics when to my delight I came across the kickstarter for Elite dangerous - signed up that day and have been playing ever since.
    While there are many computer games I like, only 4 will always be on my computers in some form or other - Thief series (1-3), Sid Meier's pirates (Firaxis version), Daggerfall (still the best TES game ever) and Elite - thanks for giving me Elite with better graphics

The moment I first went through the toaster rack into a station in Elite Dangerous.

In the original Elite docking was like a rite of passage in the game it was so difficult to master, you lined up on the slot and had to get the rotation spot on, so it was tough. After years of hoping for a new Elite and year after year being disappointed I had reached the point where I had accepted there would not be one. Then to actually to fly into what was now the toaster was an amazing and emotional moment. It felt like I was back in space again!

The best moment I had with Elite Dangerous was when I bought my Oculus Rift and started the game for the first time in VR. I was crying. I was not playing a game, I was in space flying my ship! I never had my heart bumping so hard in any other game. Since then I play ED only in vr. It is still amazing every time. When mining between asteroids I see those giants rocks all around me, or exploring planets on my SRV. It is an experience all should try. This game is born to be played in vr.

My best memory dates back to my first few days with Elite Dangerous.

I was in my barely outfitted Eagle Mk II, trying to get money killing pirates in the planetary ring near Herzfeld landing, in the GCRV 4654 system.

I spotted a Cobra harrassing a miner, and rushed in to help. I was undergunned, and didn't have a lot of experience with combat, so I took a lot of damage early on, and my canopy blew up.
    I had 10 minutes to go back to the nearest station.

Decisions, decisions, I continued firing on the Cobra for a few seconds, then thought about getting out of there.
    At that exact moment, the Type 6 that was attacked entered my field of view at full speed, firing it's single small laser, and rammed the Cobra that was boosting in the other direction, taking out its shields and a good chunck of hull integrity.

Seeing this, I decided to stay for that miner.
    I tried to stay behind the Cobra as best as I could, targeting the engines.
    Eventually his engines gave out, and I finished him off.

I now had less than five minutes to get to a station.
    I boosted out of the ring, into supercruise, and managed to get near Herzfeld Landing with a minute of air left.

Struggling with the controls, and stressed by the missing canopy, I managed to land my crippled Eagle and enter the hangar with 8 seconds left on the clock.

Turns out that this small event was a founding moment of my ED carrier.
    Since then, I made GCRV 4654 my "home system", and created the GCRV 4654 Security Corp specifically to protect miners against pirate attacks in the system's rings.

Replicating (after a fashion) the Frontier Logo in Elite Dangerous

I have so many moments that are all great from the many Fontier games. I'll pick my most recent one, though, since it was also pretty epic. So I was touring the galaxy in Elite: Dangerous, when I came across this one system just outside the Bubble, where a gas giant is orbiting impossibly close to its star (physics would have torn it apart millions of years ago). And I thought about taking a picture. At first I took one of my ship, the star, and the planet more or less in line from right to left. But then I thought about doing something that mimicked the Frontier Logo, and this is what I got:

This was my first encounter with an asteroid base. I didn't even know they existed in the game and my reaction was "WHOOOOAAAHHH!!!! THAT IS SO COOL!!!!!"

Such a difficult question to answer.

Back in the ZX Spectrum days the game simply blew me away with the utter scale of the available galaxy when you compared it to games released around it such as manic miner and attic attack. For me it ruined every other game as I fell in love with the freedom of gameplay and sheer scale of the thing, (all this on a zx spectrum )! Back then my favorite memory wasn't a particular moment in time but a gradual realisation that I knew how to navigate anywhere in the galaxy and play all parts of the game easily. Once I mastered that it was all I could think about at school, getting back to my "space game".

When I found it was released for the PC I had it purchased and loaded as soon as possible. Unbelievably nothing had changed in my eyes except the kick a** graphics and sounds, it was just an upgraded version of 1980's Elite in my eyes. Perfect.

Anyway, to answer the question, my fondest Frontier memory is easy. It was after buying the Horizons pack and nervously heading towards a planets surface for the first time. It was difficult not to get distracted by the planet getting larger and larger but I somehow managed to get my bird down on the surface unscathed, (in a world record slow time). By some miracle I got the SRV to deploy and actually made it move forward. It was at that moment that I went back to my schooldays and didn't have a care in the world apart from driving my SRV around, grinning like an idiot.