Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread: We are not alone.. Mysterious radio signals from deep space detected

Originally Posted by GunnerBill View Post (Source)
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-46811618

I just saw this on BBC.

Mysterious radio signals from deep space detected

Astronomers have revealed details of mysterious signals emanating from a distant galaxy, picked up by a telescope in Canada.
    The precise nature and origin of the blasts of radio waves is unknown.
    Among the 13 fast radio bursts, known as FRBs, was a very unusual repeating signal, coming from the same source about 1.5 billion light years away.
    Such an event has only been reported once before, by a different telescope.
    There are a number of theories about what could be causing them.

They include a neutron star with a very strong magnetic field that is spinning very rapidly, two neutron stars merging together, and, among a minority of observers, some form of alien spaceship.

Originally Posted by Para Handy View Post (Source)
    Your use of a different font colour made the quote you included invisible until I highlighted the text. I suspect I am not the only one using the Elite Dangerous forum theme so have a dark background in which your text was lost.
    Thanks, it should be fixed now. TBH I just copy pasta'd the text from the Beeb.

Originally Posted by Shadowdancer View Post (Source)
    At the power levels those FRBs are emitted, the uses that come to mind are ① weapons, ② damn scary weapons, ③ propulsion if you need to move your entire system out of the way of something scary right now (e.g., ① or ②), or ④ interstellar echolocation.

That's United Federation of Hold My Beer I Got This levels of fun
    Most of the burst is probably some O-class stars bumped on a more massive than stellar size black hole simultaneously, and the data encoded means basically "don't try this at home, it's veery dangerous"

The Guardian has put together another article:

https://www.theguardian.com/science/...say-scientists

Alien theories understandable after mysterious signals, say scientists

Fast radio bursts have caused more suspicion about extraterrestrial activity

... Chris French, head of the Anomalistic Psychology Research Unit at Goldsmiths, University of London, said it was natural for humans to see aliens behind every cosmic mystery. We have what is called an intentionality bias, he said. Its the assumption that whenever something happens, something or someone made it happen for a reason. In the context of space, that someone is always going to be aliens.

Page 2 of 2 First 12