Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last

Thread: Versions of Windows 10 for Gaming

Originally Posted by CMDR Maylor Rom View Post (Source)
    Hello CMDR's

I am reluctant to post this thread as it really has nothing to do with Elite directly, but for general gaming on Windows 10.

I found that I don't need things like Cortana, Bing, Edge, or the M$ Store, or X-Box Services (unless you play on X-Box through Windows), as well as annual updates in my OS taking up my bandwidth and background services which I could use for my purposes.

There are two other versions of Windows 10 available, called Windows 10 LTSB and Windows 10 LTSC. Just like Ubuntu, M$ has released Long Term Service versions of Windows, stripped of the fluff for Kiosks and replacement for ATM's which run Windows XP for display purposes.

Having chose Windows 10 LTSC for my gaming OS, I find I have more bandwidth and less aggravation to put up with in my gaming experience. There are websites which offer these versions of Windows, which are fully licensable, with key generators available on the web.

So, if you want your Windows OS stripped of the fluff that you may not need for high powered gaming, may I suggest you consider another version of Windows 10.

Yes, some of you think you are limited to the free release of Windows 10 retail and would rather not rebuild your box. All I can say, is if the fluff of Windows 10 bugs you, there is an alternative available.

I have to be vague about where I found my Windows 10 LTSC as these versions are Enterprise and for corporate volume licenses, but if you research the web, you can find them with licenses available.

Just an FYI here.

EDIT: If your interested, send me a PM and I can help you locate these.
    EDIT: Don't download the 90 Day Evaluation for Windows 10 LTSB/C as it cannot be licensed.
    I think for general gaming the best windows 10 version is windows 7.

The Win 10 core is definitely an improvement over Win 7

It's just the Nannyware and telemetry that makes it undesireable.

Once that's all stripped out it's really very good. My museum piece PC runs faster on 10.

But if you don't know how to do all that, you are much better off with Win 7 - but it will be forced out before much longer which is why we decided it was time to move on.

Originally Posted by Iskariot View Post (Source)

And if you have 7 Pro, you can even get support until end of 2022 for 350 USD.

Seriously though, if you're still using Win7, disconnect that machine from the Internet now, for the good of all of us.

Originally Posted by Shadowdancer View Post (Source)
    Seriously though, if you're still using Win7, disconnect that machine from the Internet now, for the good of all of us.
    Nonsense. I am good until the end of this year.
    My security is far above average.

My pc's have not been infected even once in more than 35 years.
    The only time a PC got infected was when a store bought floppy disk (if you remember those) contained a virus out of the box. It must have been in the days that dinosaurs still ruled the earth. I was still green then. Things like that cannot happen on my systems anymore.

Originally Posted by GJ51 View Post (Source)
    The Win 10 core is definitely an improvement over Win 7

It's just the Nannyware and telemetry that makes it undesireable.
    I completely agree with both statements.
    But I see no real world advantage in W10 for my PC's atm.
    They already run butter smooth and clean.
    I have not had to restore a system image for years now. It is quite remarkable.
    The pre w7 days where infinitely more troublesome.

I'm also finding that W10LTSC still has a-lot of telemetry in use and disabling all of it is a challange. Overall, Having stripped W10 Retail vs. stripping W10LTSC, LTSC was a-lot easier.

Including inertia, upgrade now. I understand that change is hard and there's a lot of history and comfort with that crusty old body pillow, but face the facts: it's dead.

Rep

And i like the jibe of the OP, it does make sense and might be a good option for many people in truth.

Still Windows 10 (actually it was specifically the rollout of the Xbox One (and what that revealed about the direction MS was going), on the back of all the Windows 8 mucking about) was kind of my 'line in the sand' moment with Microsoft as a company and provider of my OS. In short they just pushed too hard against my wishes and the kind of relationship i expect with a company i am giving money to to provide me with something.

Currently we have one 'throw away' cheap as chips laptop running Windows 10 (in part so i can experience it and work it out etc), in a family of 3 desktops and 2 other laptops. I just do not 'need' Windows 10 or anything MS is now offering. They simply blew it with me and i moved on (or stayed put in relation to the PC's running windows 7!).

There are no easy (as in MS easy) alternatives to Windows, but if you don't mind a little bit more leg work and a little less refinement there are pretty easy alternatives (my still current favourite being Linux Mint (which i use exclusively for internet like here on the forums etc) for anything not game related).

I have heard it is possible to run stuff pretty ok under linux on Wine, but i would imagine you'd need a very decent (and high power usage) system for that, so have yet to get there and try it.

Still MS, like Star Wars and Star Trek, is now a dead thing to me. And that was all their own doing (in all cases!).

My security is far above average.

My pc's have not been infected even once in more than 35 years.
    The only time a PC got infected was when a store bought floppy disk (if you remember those) contained a virus out of the box. It must have been in the days that dinosaurs still ruled the earth. I was still green then. Things like that cannot happen on my systems anymore.
    I agree. With Windows 7 I never had a problem.

I put Avast with it and it rolls without problem.

Security updates will be available for another 11 months and it's far easier for me to keep track of what exactly my W7 systems are doing than my W10 ones, because there is so much less going on in the background.

Including inertia, upgrade now. I understand that change is hard and there's a lot of history and comfort with that crusty old body pillow, but face the facts: it's dead.
    Windows 7 is hardly the oldest OS I have in active service.

The primary OSes on my currently working personal systems, in order of oldest to newest:

Commodore BASIC
    PC DOS 2000
    Windows 98 SE
    Windows 2000 SP4
    Windows Server 2003 r2 x64 Datacenter
    Windows 7 Professional x64 (on my primary system)
    Server 2008 R2
    Server 2016 (1604)
    Linux Mint Xfce (exact release escapes me)
    Windows 10 Education (1809)
    Server 2019 (1809)
    Manjaro Linux (rolling release, that I keep on the newest stable kernel)

None of them are dead. They all serve the purpose they were chosen for better than essentially any other option.

In the case of my primary system, half of the software on it won't even start in Windows 10 and the overhead of either a host based or bare metal VM would be undesirable. There is also nothing I do on that system that Windows 10 is appreciably better at, so 7 is staying for the foreseeable future.

My HTPC does use the latest Windows 10 build, because that's the system my WMR headset is connected to.

Originally Posted by Morbad View Post (Source)
    The primary OSes on my currently working personal systems, in order of oldest to newest:

Windows 98 SE
    Windows 2000 SP4
    Windows Server 2003 r2 x64 Datacenter
    Which is fine as long as they're strictly on internal networks and never touch the wider public Internet or anything that could remotely be considered a vulnerability vector. And in less than a year, the same goes for Win7 and Server 2008.

Which is fine as long as they're strictly on internal networks and never touch the wider public Internet or anything that could remotely be considered a vulnerability vector. And in less than a year, the same goes for Win7 and Server 2008.
    The Server 2003 R2 system is definitely connected to the internet. Doesn't have any open ports, any integrated services that use the network, and doesn't run any web browsers though.

Assuming Windows 10/Server 2019 still aren't a viable alternatives for my Windows 7 system and what I do on it, I'll beef up security, but it's still going to be connected to the internet...as will about 35% of the less secure Windows ecosystem that's still going to be on Windows 7 by that time.

Microsoft has done an extremely poor job incentivising upgrades. The whole Widows as a data farming and marketing tool may not be enough to discourage most people inclined to upgrade, but it's sure not a feature. Windows is not modular enough for end users and any upgrade is predicated on adopting a whole slew of unnecessary and unwanted 'upgrades'.

So do your fancy stuff on archaeology-grade systems. Try not to endanger the wider population while you're at it.

Don't advise others to use that cruft for general-purpose gaming. In less that a year it won't be fit for that purpose any more, and even now it may require more than simply running auto-update after installation.

The TL;DR is that if you want to play games on Windows, you're using either 8.1 (though even that's out of mainstream support for over a year now) or roll with 10, full stop. If you have access to LTS SKUs, that's fun; if you don't, either suck up the telemetry and pick your poison from Home or Pro or don't run Windows.

Seeing how the OP is from the "M$" persuasion (oh how fondly I remember the late 1990s when that was all edgy and cool) it's probably a lost cause though.

Originally Posted by CMDR Maylor Rom View Post (Source)
    So, if you want your Windows OS stripped of the fluff that you may not need for high powered gaming, may I suggest you consider another version of Windows 10.
    Windows For XBox, aka XBox OS.