Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: What happened to the GalNet rss feed?!?

Originally Posted by Pete S View Post (Source)
    Good suggestion but sadly looks to not be working. Tried a few alternative paths for the url in case they'd localised that way but nothing worthwhile. Interesting to note that it's only the 'new' entries showing up in German, if you go back to articles that were also on the old feed they're still in English
    Yes, tried the URL thing too and it didn't work. Nice find about the old English articles. I think those were simply imported and only the new ones are localized - as we know now, German and Portuguese translations are both featured at the same time

I think it's Drupal that is messed up somehow, found a dozen articles describing problems with multilanguage support, and well, given its track record of security issues, it would not have been exactly my premier choice possibly. They'll fix it sooner or later and then localisation should be automatic. Ingame, Galnet is English for me.

EDIT: Uh, what happened? Suddenly, English is back again! And Portuguese still works, too. German is gone atm.

O7,

Originally Posted by TheLawful View Post (Source)
    EDIT: Uh, what happened? Suddenly, English is back again! And Portuguese still works, too. German is gone atm.
    Right now (00:10 GMT) I'm seeing Spanish since the 21st Feb, English for earlier articles. Just an hour ago everything was in English.

The json feed is not production quality imo but at least its making me laugh.

Originally Posted by TheLawful View Post (Source)
    Yes, tried the URL thing too and it didn't work. Nice find about the old English articles. I think those were simply imported and only the new ones are localized - as we know now, German and Portuguese translations are both featured at the same time

I think it's Drupal that is messed up somehow, found a dozen articles describing problems with multilanguage support, and well, given its track record of security issues, it would not have been exactly my premier choice possibly. They'll fix it sooner or later and then localisation should be automatic. Ingame, Galnet is English for me.

O7,
    I've been building stuff in Drupal for about a decade now. I think what you're seeing is that they take security very seriously, which is exactly why they publish so many security updates. In statistics, this is called a selection bias: you're not seeing all the undiscovered security vulnerabilities other CMS software have because a lot of them don't have such an active community poring over the code. Plus, NASA.gov is a Drupal site, so it's secure enough for them apparently.

You're right that Drupal has historically had less than great localization support, and I've experienced that myself building a multilingual Drupal 7 site, but a lot has changed in the last few years, and Drupal 8, while not perfect, is significantly better.

Voilà! Today, it's Portuguese all over!

O7,

Hello here.

Same question. For information the galnet is no longer available in French at all. Moreover, when you click on a news on the launher (Fr) the link does not work (404).
    Finally, our Galnet News website (news.galnet.fr) no longer works because we can no longer retrieve the news. This community website has taken a significant number of hours and contains a lot of archives (some of which are not available on the official Galnet). It is sad for this website that allows you to consult the entire Galnet in French and English.

Frontier: can you answer us please? We have had no feedback from you since last week.

THX

6. This is the last staff post in this thread. #21
    Originally Posted by aymerix View Post (Source)
    Hello here.

Same question. For information the galnet is no longer available in French at all. Moreover, when you click on a news on the launher (Fr) the link does not work (404).
    Finally, our Galnet News website (news.galnet.fr) no longer works because we can no longer retrieve the news. This community website has taken a significant number of hours and contains a lot of archives (some of which are not available on the official Galnet). It is sad for this website that allows you to consult the entire Galnet in French and English.

Frontier: can you answer us please? We have had no feedback from you since last week.

THX

Hello there,

Thank you for the report! We will flag this up for investigation.

I need the Galnet RSS feed. I don't have time to play the game at all right now, so the Galnet RSS is my simplest way of staying in touch with in game events. Now it's gone, I am basically out of touch, I might drift away forever, never to come back again...

To repeat a few things posted earlier: It has been there for years, URLs shouldn't break, we need an online archive of all Galnet articles on the elitedangerous.com website.

Clip should start at 44second, I don't know why it doesn't work.

I use the RSS feed in my stream's holding pages. very usefull.
    I am going to have to somehow write a html parse for json, and I'm not that skilled enough. I'll work it out eventually.

It's anoying the feed just died without warning.

If anyone is interested, I worked out a JSON feed Parse for Galnet

http://lethris.webfactional.com/ED_Galnet/

Feel free to pinch the code. I don't mind.

Is this still not fixed? Come on FDev, it's really simple... Really Simple Syndication.

Originally Posted by madbilly View Post (Source)
    Is this still not fixed? Come on FDev, it's really simple... Really Simple Syndication.
    There's a replacement feed at http://elitedangerous-website-backen...com/galnet.rss, but this replacement feed is only available in English and doesn't match the old format.

Originally Posted by Tkael View Post (Source)
    There's a replacement feed at http://elitedangerous-website-backen...com/galnet.rss, but this replacement feed is only available in English and doesn't match the old format.
    +1

I was able to use this link to feed into my Rainmeter desktop.

Originally Posted by Tkael View Post (Source)
    Thanks, much appreciated!

It only seems to go back 10 posts, so I'll have to catch up on what I missed on the website.

If you’ve got an iPhone or iPad then you could grab CMDR, it’s got all the Galnet News in English, French and German, going back all the way to the first article posted

Originally Posted by Pete S View Post (Source)
    If you’ve got an iPhone or iPad then you could grab CMDR, it’s got all the Galnet News in English, French and German, going back all the way to the first article posted
    That's great, but I think the point is we use it in our streams and/or fan-based websites.

<- because I know that sounds rude, but I'm really not trying to be.