Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread: The Halo Drive - Cool Worlds idea for interstella travel.

Originally Posted by Shadowdancer View Post (Source)
    "Mature interstellar travel" is impossible to current science. It is virtually impossible to build anything of significant scale that would even leave the solar system (much less with live people on board, but that's a stupid idea anyway).

Once we get to the point that we can trivially travel to the next singularity, the drive concept is already obsolete because we have moved to a post-scarcity era that allows us to build all the stupid stuff our ancestors dreamed of, like Dyson Spheres (no, those don't work…) or the Hyperloop.

Again, it's a nice little theoretical idea, but it has so many obvious holes that it can never be useful.
    This is my point - hence my comment "poor mans drive" travel once something far better is invented.

Z...

Originally Posted by Zeeman View Post (Source)
    You're missing the point.... The nearest binary black hole - just to test the theory - is so far away that you NEED a warp drive to get there in a reasonable amount of time.
    There is that issue. But atleast we do know that around our galaxy there will already be a certain number of binary mini black holes, so once the tech is mature enough and we have shed the 'prison' of our solar system, we could look to use these black holes for further travel around our galaxy.

I'm not 100% sure but i think part of the Halo Drive video was about having to 'create' the mini black holes for that first trip? Basically replacing the mini neutron stars with the black holes as a 'safer' way to harvest the energy via the laser blue shifting etc? I could be wrong on that but that was the impression i got. Create the mini black hole binary, shoot the laser, collect energy, increase speed to 30% speed of light and propel a ship and crew to Alpha Centurai.

Originally Posted by Zak Gordon View Post (Source)
    'create' the mini black holes
    No. Again, when you're at the point that you can summon black holes at will, you're master of mass, energy, and its conversion to a degree that makes you completely independent of anything else. By the time you squished half the mass of the solar system into a hot mess of radiation and death (the entire system combined wouldn't provide enough mass to create a stable neutron star, much less a black hole, and let's face it, y'all's mommas couldn't even de-orbit Ceres) you'd have built an Orion and blissfully bombed your way to the Pleiades.

You're missing the point.... The nearest binary black hole - just to test the theory - is so far away that you NEED a warp drive to get there in a reasonable amount of time. If not, you need *something* to get your there in reasonable time to begin with - which will render this drive obsolete before it's even tested. Otherwise, hello thousands of years of space travel to get to the nearest binary black hole, and if you think we won't have figured out better methods by then, I'd tell you you're mad.
    A ten thousand year trip that requires many generations, some form of stasis, biologically ageless people, and/or non-biological people, etc, is at least conceivable within the scope of our current knowledge of how the universe works.

Faster than light travel is not.

Far more reasonable to work within the bounds we know than assume completely inconceivable advances will allow us to ignore those boundaries.

Remember, the speed of sound was impossible once...

Z...
    The speed of sound isn't a fundamental physical constant and breaking the sound barrier was never against the laws of physics. Many things in nature exceed the speed of sound, and humans have had tools/objects that could exceed the speed of sound for several thousand years.

Nothing travels faster than the speed of light. No known natural phenomena, nothing we have ever made. Indeed, we cannot even conceive of how the speed of light might be exceeded without using similarly impossible things.

The whole reason the halo drive is interesting is because there isn't anything about it that requires reality to be redefined.

I saw this story this morning. Very interesting. Now, is it in the game yet?

Originally Posted by Morbad View Post (Source)
    A ten thousand year trip that requires many generations, some form of stasis, biologically ageless people, and/or non-biological people, etc, is at least conceivable within the scope of our current knowledge of how the universe works.

Faster than light travel is not.

Far more reasonable to work within the bounds we know than assume completely inconceivable advances will allow us to ignore those boundaries.

The speed of sound isn't a fundamental physical constant and breaking the sound barrier was never against the laws of physics. Many things in nature exceed the speed of sound, and humans have had tools/objects that could exceed the speed of sound for several thousand years.

Nothing travels faster than the speed of light. No known natural phenomena, nothing we have ever made. Indeed, we cannot even conceive of how the speed of light might be exceeded without using similarly impossible things.

The whole reason the halo drive is interesting is because there isn't anything about it that requires reality to be redefined.
    Apart from galaxies: http://curious.astro.cornell.edu/phy...t-intermediate

But that is more to do with the expansion of the universe and not actual motion.

Page 2 of 2 First 12