Page 3 of 12 First 123457 Last
Results 31 to 45 of 170

Thread: ED Nominated for Evolving Game BAFTA

  1. #31
    Nominated for implementing the most bugs ?

  2. #32
    Originally Posted by Factabulous View Post (Source)
    The timing is not great:

    Week 1 : FDev announce "no major changes for next 18 months"
    Week 2 : hey! We're up for a Bafta for evolving game
    Nailed it.

  3. #33
    Not upset about the news grat's on the nomination, but I'm sitting here a bit miffed, I know a few games that have evolved a lot more over four years than ED.

  4. #34
    Congrats to FDev on their hard work on ED over the years. About time they got recognized for improving on ED with its unprecedented massive scope and complexity larger than any of the other nominations.


    Originally Posted by Old Duck View Post (Source)
    Wait - No Man's Sky isn't in this list?!?

    NMS was a cartoony survival game masquerading as a spacesim with unrealistic planets, arcady local space, and fake system backgrounds. After players got tired of the superficial veneer of supposed "greener grass" (chanted by ED naysayers), the repetitive procedural (and grindy) things returning over and over they returned back to ED (or Subnautica after the aquatic update novelty was over). Also being an initial pre-order rip-off on release, one of the worst black mark debacles in the industry's history, probably was not conducive to favorable consideration lists.

  5. #35
    Originally Posted by krylite View Post (Source)
    with its unprecedented massive scope and complexity larger than any
    That's lifted straight from the Chris Roberts playbook.

    As a video game, Elite is as shallow, uninspired and an much of an exercise in tedium as you can get.

    Stellar forge is different, and deserves recognition for the complexity and scope it has. But it's not a video game.

  6. #36
    This thread: "I don't personally like chickens, therefore they don't count as having evolved from dinosaurs," and, "Apart from the limpets, ability to land on planets, adjusting the galaxy to incorporate a few specific current discoveries, adding additional ways to do exploring and mining, engineers, in-flight synthesis of ammo, jet-cone boosts, ship names, night-vision, codex, alien species, regular addition of new ships, addition of new modules...WHAT HAVE FDEV EVER DONE TO EVOLVE THE GAME FROM 1.0?!"

    *eyerolls*

  7. #37
    A few tacked on minigames and shallow half-baked mechanics worthy of being in a free-to-play mobile phone game aren't exactly evolutionary.

    They're relatively substantial in terms of what Elite first shipped as, but compared to the other actual real proper video games that populate the nomination list, they're laughably underwhelming.

  8. #38
    Has ED evolved while I've been playing it? Yes somewhat. Is there more to be done? Undoubtedly.
    Do I still love the game despite it's flaws? Yes.

  9. #39
    Originally Posted by Hellakitty View Post (Source)
    That's lifted straight from the Chris Roberts playbook.

    As a video game, Elite is as shallow, uninspired and an much of an exercise in tedium as you can get.

    Stellar forge is different, and deserves recognition for the complexity and scope it has. But it's not a video game.
    Funny, CR playbook while a joke has tried to emulate the success of ED. Stellar forge is part of the ED spacesim, many game features can work in systems generated by it. As a spacesim game, ED is very much inspired, similar to how FSX enlarged the scope of sim traveling; The stellar forge background and modeling serving as modeled backdrops (and interactable system bodies) for any instance is inspiring where other games like NMS just fake it. The pure "video game" parts of ED (such as CZ's etc.) isn't too bad, pretty and can be exhilarating even. ED is hardly a failure of a game as you try to make it out to be. Steam numbers (just one metric even) still beats out EvE, NMS, ST: online, X-franchise and a host of other similar genre competitors; still counts as something highly substantial and of interest in the space genre. Until other publishers make a game approximating the complex combination of scope of ED's stellar forge and gameplay features, there's no real comparison and probably won't be for some time to come. That uniqueness along with the extensive work done on upgrading since release assuredly deserves the bafta nomination.

  10. #40
    Elite Dangerous: Beyond

    Just highlighting a key word that seems to have been generally ignored.

  11. #41
    Originally Posted by Thatchinho View Post (Source)
    Elite Dangerous: Beyond

    Just highlighting a key word that seems to have been generally ignored.
    Tbf, the OP does list Elite Dangerous Beyond.

    The meltdowns are still very funny though



    Personally, I think it's fantastic that the sterling work of the Elite Dangerous devteam (100+ members too) have been rightfully recognised by such a historic and distinguished institution. A huge credit to their efforts in creating what is indisputably the Best Damn Space Sim Ever


  12. #42
    Originally Posted by Old Duck View Post (Source)
    Wait - No Man's Sky isn't in this list?!?
    Heck of a good question!

  13. #43
    Originally Posted by z993126 View Post (Source)
    This thread: "I don't personally like chickens, therefore they don't count as having evolved from dinosaurs," and, "Apart from the limpets, ability to land on planets, adjusting the galaxy to incorporate a few specific current discoveries, adding additional ways to do exploring and mining, engineers, in-flight synthesis of ammo, jet-cone boosts, ship names, night-vision, codex, alien species, regular addition of new ships, addition of new modules...WHAT HAVE FDEV EVER DONE TO EVOLVE THE GAME FROM 1.0?!"

    *eyerolls*
    You forgot unfolding story lines such as the thargoid encounters as well as player driven content.

    S

  14. #44
    Evolving means widening apparently lol.
    Well elite certainly can go for some kind of title when i think of multicrew and powerplay.

  15. #45
    This seems premature, as large parts of Beyond's latest installment isn't fixed yet