Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last

Thread: Uninstalled Elite Dangerous.

Originally Posted by Chris Simon View Post (Source)
    *insert obligatory "Is his sister hot?" question*
    She is actually, LOL.

Originally Posted by Chris Simon View Post (Source)
    I like people who reply to the topic title without reading the OP. They're fun.
    Those are the people clickbaits are made for.
    I did read it I was basically joining him in saying the main reason I uninstalled was a technical thing.

A failed HDD is often a blessing in disguise, although it never feels that way at the time.

A new o/s install cleans away all the fluff you've installed along the way, and you can take your time loading what is still important.

Just always backup all important stuff onto a new external HDD every year at least, and make incremental backups along the way. I have a pile of external drives dating back years.

And to think we used to moan about getting our pictures developed. I've yet to lose a single snap due to a PC failing.

Buy another identical SSD and RAID1 them before you reinstall

Make 2 backups of your data on external drives, and store one of them at the sisters place

Originally Posted by Asp Explorer View Post (Source)

Make 2 backups of your data on external drives, and store one of them at the sisters place
    or go with 3 striped SSD's for games..... anymore would just be ridiculous.... oh and spinning rust for all those steam games you never play but auto update just in case.... :-)

Originally Posted by Emperor View Post (Source)
    or go with 3 striped SSD's for games..... anymore would just be ridiculous....
    Yes, yes it is

I have a backup copy of all my stuff on a NAS, 2 disk mirror.

Losing data is very annoying.

Yes, yes it is
    As somebody whose MB only has four SATA connectors, I find this array rather preposterous.

Just waiting for my mate to pop over. He's successfully booted Windows on the new SSD, so fingers crossed when he gets here later.

I owe the man a drink.

Urm, if he installed Windows on a different motherboard then you’ll have loads of fun on your actual machine

For basic everyday Windows installs, always install on the actual hardware you are going to use.

Yes, yes it is
    Raid 0???

Originally Posted by yianniv View Post (Source)
    Raid 0???
    Yeah - it’s a throwaway scratch share I use for dumping stuff quickly over LAN before it gets properly backed up. I wouldn’t set up a system drive like that

Originally Posted by PiLhEaD View Post (Source)
    A failed HDD is often a blessing in disguise, although it never feels that way at the time.

A new o/s install cleans away all the fluff you've installed along the way, and you can take your time loading what is still important.

Just always backup all important stuff onto a new external HDD every year at least, and make incremental backups along the way. I have a pile of external drives dating back years.

And to think we used to moan about getting our pictures developed. I've yet to lose a single snap due to a PC failing.

Both of these are great advice.

Sorry about your hardware issues, Unicorn, and I hope you’re back up and running soon.

@OP, you know what? I have a suggestion for you. To celebrate your return, along with your racy new SSD, I think you should buy a new ship. I know you have the credits. Surprise us all by showing up in something other than your old broken down ashtray of a Cobra. Reminds me of the car Peter Falk used to drive in Columbo.

Originally Posted by Swordfish_01 View Post (Source)
    @OP, you know what? I have a suggestion for you. To celebrate your return, along with your racy new SSD, I think you should buy a new ship. I know you have the credits. Surprise us all by showing up in something other than your old broken down ashtray of a Cobra. Reminds me of the car Peter Falk used to drive in Columbo.
    Un1 bought many ships over the years.

...but they were all Cobras