Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last

Thread: My take on the "exploration ship" builds out there and praticality in real gameplay

60Ly seems too puny to me, I prefer my 82.91Ly Anaconda. Never stock Heatsinks; fills ship with AFMU's instead, they act as passive heat absorbers if something goes really, really wrong.

Originally Posted by AzoreanOutkast View Post (Source)
    1)One of the things all new players that dwell in exploration are bombarded in this game and formated to think is that having the biggest jump is the most important thing to be able to have to be a "true" explorer in ED, well, let me say my piece... ITS RUBISH!!!
    -----------
    2)Best FSD possible A-rated (engenieer it to increase range)
    Best fuel scoop possible (A-rated advisable)
    ----------
    3)Heat sink launcher
    Cargo rack
    Auto repair unit
    repair limpet controller
    planetary discovery scanner
    SRV bay
    My humble opinion as a Beta veteran
    1) Vets will never advise that ! (Unless you are min/maxing the outer galactic area, or other sparse area)
    2) FSD yes, Scoop no(2nd best is still fine in most ships, DBX on the other hand...)
    3) never used heat sink launcher
    never had cargo rack
    never took AFMU
    no repair limpets
    always had SRV

Originally Posted by dognosh View Post (Source)
    2) FSD yes, Scoop no(2nd best is still fine in most ships, DBX on the other hand...)

I really like my DBX, it is a brilliant, cool, little ship...
    It needs to be cool because you will spend so much time orbiting a star to refuel...

Still one of the best medium range ships for me though

Originally Posted by Macros Black View Post (Source)
    60Ly seems too puny to me, I prefer my 82.91Ly Anaconda. Never stock Heatsinks; fills ship with AFMU's instead, they act as passive heat absorbers if something goes really, really wrong.
    Yes. Max jump to Trojan Belt, swap to economical/manual route plotting.

I haven't played for that long (since May 3304) but when I went to BP, Colonia, Sgr A* and back to the bubble with my trusty Asp Explorer I could afford my lovely Anaconda, but I wasn't Elite at that point. But with the the FSS that may have changed.

And I have to say, that I don't like the notion of "real" explorer.
    I explore, kind of. Scannaning all ELW's, Ammonia and water worlds, mapping the former two. But otherwise I rush through the systems because those lightyears don't fly themself. So I certainly want to get far away fast.
    Hence, I consider myself more of a traveler, to not insult any real explorers.

And even though I certainly want as high jump range as possible do I not want to miss some amenities. That small shield for bumpy landings and the SRV for example. Every couple of thousand jumps it itches in the inner ear to get some real gravity.

But then again … Right now I'm near Sgr A* and … well, … the sky scares me. It's full of stars. It feels crowded … I want to go back to where it actually is black … with my lovely Kassiopeia and her slow turn rate.

Sorry, for my ramblings. It's late … and I have the feeling that lately the Anaconda get's a lot of flak … while I really like this type of ship, with all its quirks and shortcomings … on the other hand, I also think that the Type 9 is a really beautiful ship ... will buy one, once I'm back ... I will paint it yellow and call it "Chicken of Doom" …

right, I should go to bed now.

I have a 60ly Phantom and a 64ly AspX.
    I jump long if I'm in a hurry and go economical when relaxed.
    Best of both worlds brings options.

Originally Posted by AzoreanOutkast View Post (Source)
    One of the things all new players that dwell in exploration are bombarded in this game and formated to think is that having the biggest jump is the most important thing to be able to have to be a "true" explorer in ED
    Is that what people say in Dangerous Discussion or something? It's certainly not what I hear round here.

If you want to maximise jump range then people here will offer helpful build suggestions, as we will with advice towards meeting any other exploration related goal but the most important thing, as most of us will tell you, is to fly something you like flying.

We go weeks or months (and occasionally years) without seeing a shipyard so being happy with the ship your in is critical. Everything else is dependent on what your aims for any given trip are.

If you find an A rated fuel scoop a big expense, a B rated scoop will do just fine.

The amount of systems you visit depends only on the time you invest, after all, no matter your jump range, the jumps will take the same amount of time.

In regards to what I think a good exploration ship should have:

Detailed Surface Scanner (duh)
    AFMU(s), they don't add any weight but a single one will last you for a very very long time so I consider them useful but not a necessity unless you use neutron stars.
    SRV(s), I brought only one for about 10 months before I finally crashed.
    Heatsink, useful in case you enter a binary system that makes you drop between the stars, no need to bring another one if you have materials to refill.
    Shields, I brought the lightest ones to avoid damage when landing but in SC they are useless, you'll likely never meet anybody by chance.
    Guardian FSD booster, more jump range nuff said.
    Biggest A rated fuel scoop.

I always come prepared when exploring. I have a krait MK2. Only has a jump rang of 44ly, but it is fully loaded with weapons, a good shield, a SLF and so on.

In the old days when people went exploring, they never got rid of their defences and I won't on my ships either.

If people want to go exploring with paper thin shields and no weaponry, that's their choice, and if they come across an aggressive species of alien (highly unlikely at the moment but you never know) and get destroyed, they only have themselves to blame.

A bit like the gnosis incident. Reports of lots of thargoids in the area, so what do these explorers do, turn up with paper thin shields and zero weapons. I found it hilarious watching them all die. Hopefully they will have learnt a lesson, but I doubt it. They seemed to blame Fdev for their own mistake.

In my views you should be ready for anything when exploring.

Solid post.

Min-maxing is not a viable path to building ships outside of PvP.

To many sacrifices and they ad up over time.

If you need to jump a big distance making sure you land on the other end in one peice is the most important part.

Nothing more degrading that jumping a big old distance only to be sent all the way back again becuase of your c2 bi weave.

I wonder how many years it will take for this "only one bestest loadout ever regardless of taste, circumstances and preferences" myth to be debunked.

Originally Posted by Qohen Leth View Post (Source)
    I wonder how many years it will take for this "only one bestest loadout ever regardless of taste, circumstances and preferences" myth to be debunked.
    Unfortunately, things wont change until people realise that other some players aren't playing the OP's game - they're playing their own game in their own way.

Love the way we share thoughts, suggestions, guidance etc but only when it's not an attempt to ram things down our throats with the 'my way is the only way' attitude.

You be you, they be they, me be me

so a "real" explorer only explores economical jump range?

Bottom line is there is NO "real explorer"....I'm faffing around on the coat tails of DW2 in a 22ly Python, got AFMU, SRV, Heat sinks, chaff, guns, cargo bays...hell even the kitchen sink. I FSS everything and Map ELWs, WW, AWs, and terraformable HMCs. I se it like climbing a mountain, some just want to get to the top as quickly as possible, I'd be pootling around the base of the mountain trying to find interesting stuff to see. Both (and all inbetwix) are valid ways of exploring.