View Entry Info: High Yield Modification reducing FAR more than 35% damage.

Category:
PC/MAC Bug Reports

Thread: High Yield Modification reducing FAR more than 35% damage.

High Yield Modification reducing FAR more than 35% damage.

IP Protocol
    IPv6

Date & Time of Occurrence
    Ongoing

Frequency

VR?
    None / N/A

Ship/SRV?
    Ship

Ship Type
    Anaconda

Commander Name
    Mursac

Description
    I just applied the high yield modification to an overcharged gimballed cannon. My upgrade is not yet complete, but at the moment I'm sitting at a base damage increase of 67.5% (from the overcharge) with a total damage increase of 8.9% after high yield is applied.
    The high yield effect is telling me that it reduces damage by 35%, yet it's actually reduced my modified damage by 58.6%! This has placed my final value down at 61.6.
    Depending on how the number is calculated, I should either be getting:
    75 damage ((1.675-.35)*56.6) (straight reduction to percentage increase) or
    70.2 damage ((1.675*56.6)/1.35) (multiplier to modified damage value).
    Neither of these is 61.6.

Steps to Reproduce
    Mod a cannon and apply the high yield effect. Observe and calculate the damage.

Additional files?
    Screenshots showing damage values and the modification screen.
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...OO?usp=sharing

After experimenting, I think there is more wrong with this modification than just the damage reduction. Any internal splash damage was so small as to be unnoticeable (nothing except a direct strike registered), and the stats screen shows that it's damage type is still kinetic, rather than explosive (which the damage is supposed to be split with). For example, Overload Munitions, which are split explosive and thermal show the "current" damage type as thermal. So far, all indicators are that the high yield effect may well be completely dysfunctional. Anyone else have some input?

No idea about the numbers, but unless something has changed i always found high yield shells absoloutely fantastic at shredding internals as long as they penetrated.

I'm going to be engineering 2 cannons in the coming week or so, so will be interested to see if they still perform the same.

Mursac - Ask that the threads are merged - https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/479941-HYS-effect-bugged-incorrect-penetration-values?p=7464118#post7464118

I have been asking about this issue a long while, they're still broken Cannons with HYS are not worth using as they are.

For example, look at damage stats on stock cannons (Unmodified) and after G5 overcharged with HYS engineering (Current) - Not fit for purpose.

https://i.imgur.com/KSURTY1.jpg

Not a bug.

Originally Posted by Mursac View Post (Source)
    I just applied the high yield modification to an overcharged gimballed cannon. My upgrade is not yet complete, but at the moment I'm sitting at a base damage increase of 67.5% (from the overcharge) with a total damage increase of 8.9% after high yield is applied.
    The high yield effect is telling me that it reduces damage by 35%, yet it's actually reduced my modified damage by 58.6%! This has placed my final value down at 61.6.
    Depending on how the number is calculated, I should either be getting:
    75 damage ((1.675-.35)*56.6) (straight reduction to percentage increase) or
    70.2 damage ((1.675*56.6)/1.35) (multiplier to modified damage value).
    Neither of these is 61.6.
    HYS reduces the weapon's base damage and then overcharged acts on that damage.

1.00 - 0.35 = 0.65

0.65 * 1.675 = 1.08875 which is the 8.9% increase you see.

Originally Posted by Morbad View Post (Source)
    Not a bug.
    Maybe not a "bug" in regards to following an equation, but when G5 overcharged does less damage than a stock cannon and at the same time take more power, generate more heat, slower reloading times, less ammunition, then what benefit is there for a cannon with HYS? - it makes adding HYS pointless and makes the weapon pointless, it's then a redundant effect, this has to be classed as a bug.

I don't want an OP weapon, but it needs to be balanced so that it doesn't do less damage than a stock cannon, otherwise why bother with all that engineering.

Originally Posted by Evil Flanker View Post (Source)
    Maybe not a "bug" in regards to following an equation, but when G5 overcharged does less damage than a stock cannon and at the same time take more power, generate more heat, slower reloading times, less ammunition, then what benefit is there for a cannon with HYS? - it makes adding HYS pointless and makes the weapon pointless, it's then a redundant effect, this has to be classed as a bug.

I don't want an OP weapon, but it needs to be balanced so that it doesn't do less damage than a stock cannon, otherwise why bother with all that engineering.
    A bug is when something is not functioning as intended.

The direct damage output of HYS cannon is quite deliberate and it being too low for taste is a topic for the suggestion forum, not a bug report.

The point of HYS is to delver splash damage to internals (which is functioning in a dubious manner and thus is a topic for a bug report), not compete with the raw direct damage of other cannon.