Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: Elite: Dangerous - Death Penalty

1. Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. #1
    Lead Designer- Elite: Dangerous
    Frontier Employee

Default Elite: Dangerous - Death Penalty

Hello Backers!

Here is the death penalty rules set that we've agreed on, following extensive debate, both in the team and on the forum. I'd like to thank everyone for their involvement! This thread will stay here for a few days, then be moved to the archives section.

Death Penalty Rules

• When a commander's ship receives catastrophic hull damage (breaks apart) or becomes incapable of supporting life, the commander automatically escapes via an ever-present, indestructible escape pod
    • Depending on the circumstances the following effects can occur:
      • In situations where the ship receives an excessive amount of damage in one attack, all cargo inside is destroyed and the hull is obliterated
      • In situations where a ship has suffered catastrophic but not excessive damage, a percentage of the cargo inside is spilt out and the hull remains
      • Cargo can be flagged as “fragile” – these are always destroyed and never ejected, allowing us to prevent unwanted multiplication of rare cargo
      • Event/mission specific cargo can be destroyed or ejected based on mission requirements
        • Event/mission cargo can have ship module requirements to prevent unwanted outcomes (e.g. an important VIP might only accept a ride in a ship that had cabins featuring automatic escape capsules)
    • The escape pod transports the commander back to the last station that they docked at
    • Commanders losing a ship can accrue an excess fee which must be paid straight away
      • Starter ships with starting equipment have no excess fee
      • The excess fee is a percentage of the ship’s total value (including equipment)
        • Any active criminal bounty is transferred to the excess fee
      • If the commander owns multiple ships they can choose to forgo a replacement ship and avoid the payment, choosing to pilot another ship they own
        • Any active criminal bounty must still be paid
      • If the commander cannot afford the excess fee and has no other ships they must use a creditor to pay the fee amount
      • Once the excess fee has been paid the commander is given a replacement ship and equipment identical to the load out when the ship was docked (the context is that there is an automatic insurance premium applied to all sales)
    • If the attack was a criminal act:
      • Cargo collected by anyone other than the commander is flagged as stolen goods
      • The perpetrator is placed in the “all group” for some game-time duration
      • The perpetrator has a bounty placed upon them, based on the ratings of ships involved in the attack
    • Commanders can explicitly become allies with each other, which confer special benefits and penalties:
      • Allies can pick up cargo spilt from other members’ ships without it being flagged as stolen goods
        • Only cargo ejected after commanders become allies is treated this way
      • Allies in the same location gain the same criminal status and penalties for acts any one of them commits

Creditors

• There are different types of creditor
      • Neutral: every docking location has a neutral creditor who offers:
        • to pay the excess fee amount up front in return for a percentage of all future sales until the loan and interest is accounted for
        • to do the above but include a credit sum to help the player get back on their feet
          • The credit sum is equal to the value of the excess
        • Additional uses of the neutral creditor simply increase the debt
          • There is a debt cap, beyond which debt is written off
        • To give the player a Sidewinder ship with basic equipment fitted
      • Factional: some docking stations have Federation/Imperial/Criminal affiliated creditors who offer:
        • To pay an excess fee amount up front in return for services rendered (Repayment Missions)
        • To do the above but include a credit sum to help the commander get back on their feet
          • The credit sum is equal to the value of the excess

Repayment Missions

• Repayment missions are offered by some creditors and:
      • Are only available when the creditor’s faction relationship is above a set threshold
      • Are always timed
      • Reduce the creditor’s faction relationship if failed (potentially triggering additional adversarial events)
      • Can involve adversarial activity against opposing factions
      • Can be “bought out” by paying a lump sum equal to the debt, though some faction loss will still occur

Ironman Elite
    During commander creation the player may set the "ironman" flag. Ironman commanders can never be grouped with normal commanders. Players can use the same name for both normal and ironman commanders.
    • Escape pod systems can be damaged and made inoperable (they are still invincible once launched)
    • Escape pods are disposable: after use, a new pod can be purchased
    • Escape pods must be manually activated
    • Failure to use an escape pod permanently kills the commander if the ship suffers catastrophic hull damage (breaks apart)
      • Permanently killed commanders can be resurrected as a normal commander (no ironman flag), continuing from when they died
      • Ship warning systems and visual/aural cues activate when the ship nears total operational failure
      • The commander is not killed by any amount of ship operational failure
    • Commanders have emergency personal life support which activates in the event of life support failure
      • Personal life support can only sustain a commander for a limited time, but restocks when the commander is in a breathable atmosphere
      • If a commander's personal life support runs out the commander is permanently killed

2. This is the last staff post in this thread. #2

This.Sounds.INSANELY GOOD!!! :-O

Originally Posted by Sandro Sammarco View Post (Source)
    [*]Cargo collected by anyone other than the commander is flagged as stolen goods
    What about "salvage rights"? Can the cargo remain in space forever and nobody except the owner and allies has the right to pick it up? Or is there a grace period, after which every passer-by can take it? (A day or two, perhaps?)

A little clarification:

Any active criminal bounty is transferred to the excess fee
    so this has to be paid by the commander as well as the excess fee.

does this then clear the bounty or does it remain on the commander's head?

Hi

does this mean if I am a bounty hunter and kill a person with a bounty on their heads, I have to leave any spoils that they drop?

Also sometimes this may seem positively inhuman.

an evil pirate could be trafficing in humans and me picking them up could almost be seen as humanitarian.

thanks for any thoughts.

M.

Originally Posted by bigmike20vt View Post (Source)
    Hi

does this mean if I am a bounty hunter and kill a person with a bounty on their heads, I have to leave any spoils that they drop?

an evil pirate could be trafficing in humans and me picking them up could almost be seen as humanitarian.

thanks for any thoughts.

M.
    This is a good point.

Another question, if we kill the person that shoots at us first, do we still get the same flags?

Only if that attack is considered a crime when you attack them, per the Criminality design:

http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6276

If they are already a wanted criminal in the jurisdiction you're in or you attack them outside of a jurisdiction, then it isn't a crime and your spoils are legally yours.

Most pirates will likely register as criminals when you scan them, so they are likely fair game even in a jurisdiction. Also, as the Criminality design states players with a high enough local status can get law enforcement software for their scanners so they can report smugglers to law enforcement.

Originally Posted by Highrisedrifter View Post (Source)
    Another question, if we kill the person that shoots at us first, do we still get the same flags?
    Self defense isn't a crime, so I would imagine not.

Aside from the dubious honour of bragging rights are there any other benefits to the players choosing to go Ironman Elite at the start?

Would have to be something that wouldnt unbalance the game but be worth it for the player to consider.

Scooping up stranded humans was discussed in the slavery proposal. In short, you will have options when faced with that moral dilemma but he who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Originally Posted by Jezzah View Post (Source)
    Aside from the dubious honour of bragging rights are there any other benefits to the players choosing to go Ironman Elite at the start?
    Some players consider Ironman mode its own benefit. For example, they find combat that much more nail-biting when months of gameplay are at stake. To be honest, if that doesn't sound like fun just don't worry about it.

Originally Posted by Andrew Sayers View Post (Source)
    ... they find combat that much more nail-biting when months of gameplay are at stake.
    Is it the case that when killed, an 'ironman' has the option to start again from scratch, or to drop into the normal group with their game-progress intact? Or have I misunderstood something?
    The only good fnord is a dead fnord!

Originally Posted by Cody View Post (Source)
    Is it the case that when killed, an 'ironman' has the option to start again from scratch, or to drop into the normal group with their game-progress intact? Or have I misunderstood something?
    Yes, that's my understanding of this bullet point:

Originally Posted by Sandro Sammarco View Post (Source)
    • Permanently killed commanders can be resurrected as a normal commander (no ironman flag), continuing from when they died
    I suspect there'll be a lot of tweaking to get ironman incentives just right. Allowing people to start from scratch might let people try out ironman, but they might lobby FD to nerf the whole ironman universe if events conspire to keep them there.

<nods> Thanks... something about that idea/plan bothers me slightly, but I can't pin it down.
    The only good fnord is a dead fnord!

yeah i can see the attraction in so far as the risk is greater not my thing though your right.

I will definitely be playing ironman.
    For me, this is the way Elite should be played. You immerse yourself, and play carefully enough to really try avoiding do die

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast