Page 1 of 5 123 Last

Thread: Self-sufficient explorer

Question Self-sufficient explorer

Hi all
    I'm hopeful that the knowledgeable masses will be able to help me out. If you were to go exploring, I mean really exploring, like going out and living off the land like a nomad, what ship would you choose and what would be your choice in loadout?

I'd be tempted to go for a "workhorse" variety of ship such as maybe the Cobra MKIII - with some sort of laser fit out (no ammo needed), fuel scoop and the discovery scanner, maybe the the medium one. Is this along the right lines?

Cheers,

Sounds fine but I would go for the Asp Explorer (it's in the name!) as I never really liked the Cobra

The Cobra isn't to bad for exploring. It's cheap to run and can be well equipped. It makes a better combat ship than the Asp as well

Best FSD you can get, best scanner you can get, best fuel scoop you can find, an auto-repair kit, and an SCB.

Cobra is probably the best overall option, as it's fast enough to escape any difficulties while still having a very good jump range and fuel capacity.

Originally Posted by jefranklin18 View Post (Source)
    Sounds fine but I would go for the Asp Explorer (it's in the name!) as I never really liked the Cobra
    Heretic!

The Cobra is what i'm using atm. A Detail Surface Scanner helps, to get more info from each discovered body. And I'll be getting a self-repair module soon as well. Just to fix things like life support and the FSD for long enough to get back from the middle nowhere

... "never really liked the Cobra" ... *mutter mutter*

I'm using the hauler since its cheap with a low class fuel scoop but the limited view out of the office makes it difficult to discover planets and rich veins of metal.

Originally Posted by Jericho Mojito View Post (Source)
    I'm using the hauler since its cheap with a low class fuel scoop but the limited view out of the office makes it difficult to discover planets and rich veins of metal.
    That why the Asp Explorer have a very wide view : to be good at exploring

Still, the Cobra MK3 is a good ship to begin with, but if you have more than 15M credits, go for the ASP. I think that it's possible get more than 40 Ly range with the A class FSD.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm interested in the A class FSD, I take it those aren't common?

I've seen it a couple of time since Beta3. It cost 5.1M credits.

I'm on my way out to the frontier and have been gearing up my Cobra along the way, trying to make it as versatile as possible. This is my loadout currently:
    3 Multicannons(g), 1 mining laser, both of the Kill Warrant and Cargo Scanners, enhanced FSD, Fuel Scoop, 8 tons cargo space (4rack x2), and a 5 bin Refinery.
    I just need to buy the Military Grade Hull, a Detailed Surface Scanner and the auto-repair kit, and trade-in the mining gear to make room. Can't afford everything quite yet, so I'm hoping this loadout will keep me going for awhile. There's no missions out here where I'm at.

Originally Posted by Zarkon View Post (Source)
    I'm on my way out to the frontier and have been gearing up my Cobra along the way, trying to make it as versatile as possible. This is my loadout currently:
    3 Multicannons(g), 1 mining laser, both of the Kill Warrant and Cargo Scanners, enhanced FSD, Fuel Scoop, 8 tons cargo space (4rack x2), and a 5 bin Refinery.
    I just need to buy the Military Grade Hull, a Detailed Surface Scanner and the auto-repair kit, and trade-in the mining gear to make room. Can't afford everything quite yet, so I'm hoping this loadout will keep me going for awhile. There's no missions out here where I'm at.
    On the frontier, where are you going to get ammo for your multi-cannon?

Fuel scoop, best you can get. FSD, best you can get. That's the essentials. I've been almost to the end of the current "pill" and back on one tank of gas. Negative effects of scooped fuel don't seem to be in yet.

Originally Posted by Hellhawk666 View Post (Source)
    Negative effects of scooped fuel don't seem to be in yet.
    Negative effects ? what do you mean?

Being a clueless Fox again... FSD is...?

Originally Posted by foxpur View Post (Source)
    Being a clueless Fox again... FSD is...?
    Frame Shift Drive

Page 1 of 5 123 Last