Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: How dangerous will the universe be?

Originally Posted by Michael Brookes View Post (Source)
    2.768% but we can set it on a per user basis :-)

Michael
    Move the decimal point two places to the right for Commander 'Fozz' Forrester in his ASBO Sidewinder please...
    Designer of multiple worlds - Elite Dangerous Official Fiction (Concept Writer, Official Author), Chaos Reborn (World Designer, Official Author) and the Wisimir Tales (Author)
    Lave Radio co-host.
    Now writing lore for the Elite Dangerous Roleplaying game. Find my new official EDRPG story, The Unexpected Guest
    British Fantasy Society Journal Editor. Zombie Expert for Total Film and SFX Magazine.
    http://www.allenstroud.com

Originally Posted by Bingo Brewster View Post (Source)
    I'm in agreement with all your post, in particular the above.

But just to contradict myself and play devils advocate. If a player successfully escapes an aggressor, surely its irrelevant whether or not the escapee then stays in the "All" group or bugs out to some private group (for whatever reason.) Or do you see the aggressor benefiting in either case?

Can someone please come up with a better (cooler) name for the "All" group. Come on you Americans, you guys tend to be good at this sort of thing and we know you are out there.
    I think the idea is that if in combat the only way to change group will be to escape via the methods mentioned. If you hyperspace out, you'll arrive at your destination in a private group. If your opponent tries to follow you (e.g. hyperspace cloud analyser) then it will "fail".
    Lave Radio Podcast // Swift Dispatch - Stories & eyewitness accounts

Love the possibility of scamming, cheating and generally turning people (& by people I mean NPC's mainly) over (within the rules of the game of course). All adds to the feel of new frontiers being forged, fools gold and all that.

I could do this all day, really, I could.

Can someone please come up with a better (cooler) name for the "All" group. Come on you Americans, you guys tend to be good at this sort of thing and we know you are out there.
    "Freedom Group"

"Max Fun Time Group"

"Happy Days Group"

"Rainy Days Group"

"Freespace Group"

'Openworld Group"

"Open Season Group"

"PVP Group" >: )

"Let's Talk About This Group"

"Say Hello To My Little Friend Group"

"Left Turn At Albuquerque Group"
    Healthier than Pilates, more flexible than Yoga, smarter than Yoda and with Interesting Times to be had by all.
    p.s. I've got my eye on you. And your cargo.

The Elite (Con)Federation of Pirates. © ® TM SM 2013 Patent Pending
    Stolen from various parties to whom no credit, nor royalties shall be given. This is Piracy, after all.

5. Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. #155
    Lead Designer- Elite: Dangerous
    Frontier Employee
    Hello JohnStabler & Bingo Brewster
    Yes, the idea is that the game would know if a ship hyperspaces out to a private group (or docks) and so could award the aggressor accordingly.

Simply hyperspacing to a different system in the same group means that the escaping player could theoretically tracked and re-engaged - no award is appropriate. Basically, with this we'd be trying to improve the experience for the agressor by giving them extra rewards if they lose their target because it "grouped out".

Of course, I'm sure there are lots of corner cases to be covered, but that's the gist of it.

6. Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. #156
    Can someone please come up with a better (cooler) name for the "All" group.
    The Wood Chipper

Originally Posted by Sandro Sammarco View Post (Source)
    We have the concept that a commodity/equipment canister does not necessarily contain what it says it contains. So there will be methods to disguise a canister's content.

The way it's currently standing, players will be able to enter and leave private groups of some sort reasonably easily, so they will be able to control the level of perceived griefing they want to suffer.
    My first thought when reading both of these is that it leads naturally to a meta-game web of trust. For example:

If you and I meet in deep space and you offer to sell me 10 tons of grain, my question is "can I trust this guy?". Sure I could do all the work to find out, but once I've been in the game long enough to form a clique, the question will naturally degrade into "do I know this guy?". If the game had a mechanism to see mutual friends that had traded successfully with you, I would be more inclined to trust you.

If I want co-op play but not competitive play and you ask to join my group, the same equation applies - I've already met my quota of pushy strangers on the Internet. I can't imagine joining a hand-managed group with many thousands of players would be much different to joining the "all" group, but if the game had a mechanism for my friends to label you a good egg, I'd be more inclined to hook up.

Humans are social animals, and webs of trust are pretty fundamental to how we work. It wouldn't even be that hard to implement - even a community-backed effort could let players share PGP-signed certificates of trustworthiness - but integrating it into the game would give you more fine-grained control over players that prefer to treat these things as social problems rather than technical problems.

5 gold stars please.

You want ebay star rating with the little rosettes for being top rated trustworthy?
    Healthier than Pilates, more flexible than Yoga, smarter than Yoda and with Interesting Times to be had by all.

Stolen from various parties to whom no credit, nor royalties shall be given. This is Piracy, after all.

I like your thinking

Originally Posted by Ashley Barley View Post (Source)
    The Wood Chipper
    Nice one.

"The Meat Grinder" An oldie, but goodie.

Originally Posted by STABB666 View Post (Source)
    You want ebay star rating with the little rosettes for being top rated trustworthy?
    Ha! I want to be able to go to people's profile and read the irate negative reviews!

"ZOMG! Dont by from this sellr. Gave me can of dead ppl instead of corn"
    Lave Radio Podcast // Swift Dispatch - Stories & eyewitness accounts

Nice one.

The Mixer

One fundamental thing is retribution. It's a big problem in online gaming and it's one of the reasons that griefers do get away with so much and can ruin the gaming experience for others. Other than banning, there's no retribution for a determined griefer.

This is different for example John Stabler is offended because Jeff Ryan called him a Cider Drinking Wuss. In return John Stabler put a bounty on Jeff Ryan, who personally hunted JS down and killed him. At this point the community rallies around John Stabler and Jeff Ryan is ostracised from his previous group of friends. The punishment is in the exclusion from the group. This is because although temporarily riled by John Stabler, Jeff Ryan is not a commited griefer.

A determined griefer pays his money, plays the game solely to pick fights, often 'Out of Character' to delibrately hassle other players and to cause them grief. Hence the name. This person will not be emotionally involved into a group to risk the ostracisation experienced by poor Jeff Ryan above. In our society such an individual would probably eventually face punished, even if only a day in court of antisocial behaviour or worse if other laws (such as grevious bodily harm etc) are used. In the game these types of punishment MUST be robust within certain systems. Jeff now gone pirate knows that he wants to take his feud to the next level and jumps the Lave radio crew with his new gang of Space Pets. He jumps the crew as led by Fozz's sidewinder, but Lave, has a decent police force and within a few minutes the Vipers arrive backing up Fozz, Stabler and Co.

I'd be happy to see that griefing is kept to a minimum and public large scale comms are kept out of the game.

Nice one.

You beat me to it!

As we already have Iron Man mode,

Tin Man Group?
    https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-HEfcYHPA0Sk/U42VxCH9NeI/AAAAAAAAATo/7rJiknpa0Zo/w600-h120-no/Oss133Sig.jpg

..a Corn-ucopia of bodies...Corn-y jokes...Corn-man...

Originally Posted by JohnStabler View Post (Source)
    Ha! I want to be able to go to people's profile and read the irate negative reviews!

"ZOMG! Dont by from this sellr. Gave me can of dead ppl instead of corn"
    Ah, the endless possibilities for mirth...

There should be an in-game Office of Fair Trading. In fact, all traders should be required to purchase a license, operate as Honest Joes, and maintain a verifiable manifest so we Pirates can be assured that they do in fact have 65 tonnes of Alien Artifacts, and not a hold full of Radioactives.

Getting up some steam now...

Originally Posted by Philip Coutts View Post (Source)
    The Mixer
    Ooooh..."The Blender"

edit: ..."The Breville Food Processor"

Originally Posted by oss133 View Post (Source)
    You beat me to it!

As we already have Iron Man mode,

Tin Man Group?
    "Isle of Man" Heh.

Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast