Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 162223242526

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: How dangerous will the universe be?

In reality you'll be ganked over and over until you log off, switch groups or report them for "griefing" after making such grandiose statements of intent. :P

(And deservedly so. ;))

You won't be on your own there Luniticisi!

I'm not a massive PvPer and (more than likely) won't be playing as a pirate, but (I hope like many here), wont be sitting around watching people getting torn appart by griefers either.

Maybe a more effective way to combat grief play is for someone to set up an out of game leaderboard - "ED's biggest griefers" - based off the rants and ravings and naming & shaming posts these boards will full of if it becomes rampant in ED (I don't think it will btw, this is just all hypothetical musings). Then its just a case of people adding everyone on that list to their ingame ignore list.

Ignore lists reduce your chances of ever meeting that player ever again. They're not 100% foolproof but they'll put the odds significantly in your favor of avoiding players you dislike.

Not as fun as hunting them down though Luniticisi It'll be ironic if you become so notorious at dealing with griefers, they all add you to their ignore list!

I think griefers will soon find their gameworld becoming progressively emptier the more they grief. Same with notorious and feared pirates, its one reason why I'm really keen to hear the views of pirates once the game goes live. Will they be shunned and a legitimate gamestyle consigned to memory? Will anyone ever reach Elite pirate status other than by farming npcs?

Originally Posted by Erimus View Post (Source)
    ...Same with notorious and feared pirates, its one reason why I'm really keen to hear the views of pirates once the game goes live. Will they be shunned and a legitimate gamestyle consigned to memory? Will anyone ever reach Elite pirate status other than by farming npcs?
    Exactly what i fear about choosing a pirate role, because as soon as I pirate someone, they most likely flag me on their ignore list because in their opinion I was griefing them. It gives everyone an excuse to avoid pirates all together.

Originally Posted by Maxeren View Post (Source)
    Exactly what i fear about choosing a pirate role, because as soon as I pirate someone, they most likely flag me on their ignore list because in their opinion I was griefing them. It gives everyone an excuse to avoid pirates all together.
    Do not worry about such things.

For one there will be a large number if players so if the odd one or two add you to their ignore list it will make little difference. If you genuinely don't grief people when being a pirate and they still add you to an /ignore list I personally feel that you're better off not meeting them again anyway.

I am really looking forward to being squished by some Bounty Hunters .. making for some exciting times, and if my prey only ends up being NPCs then so be it.

Originally Posted by Erimus View Post (Source)
    Not as fun as hunting them down though Luniticisi It'll be ironic if you become so notorious at dealing with griefers, they all add you to their ignore list!
    It has been pointed out to me, very well, in a thread I started in the private backers forum HERE .. that although my intentions would be good .. it could have the effect that I would inevitably become a griefer myself for 'griefing the griefers' (now that's an odd term)

Originally Posted by Maxeren View Post (Source)
    The ignore list does not make you ineffective as a pirate. It just means they won't see your text communications and that you will be of the lowest priority in the matchmaking system. This means you will still be matched to them in any instance unless you're in a *very* busy system.

In fact, the grouping proposal says that if you follow their hyperspace trail then you will not be put lower priority on the matchmaking system (perhaps you'll even be higher priority) to stop people putting pirates on ignore and then trying to escape.

Originally Posted by Liqua View Post (Source)
    Do not worry about such things.

For one there will be a large number if players so if the odd one or two add you to their ignore list it will make little difference. If you genuinely don't grief people when being a pirate and they still add you to an /ignore list I personally feel that you're better off not meeting them again anyway.

I am really looking forward to being squished by some Bounty Hunters .. making for some exciting times, and if my prey only ends up being NPCs then so be it.
    Exactly, I for one will not be using my ignore list for anything other that idiots constantly hailing me with nonsense. If I get ganked by a load of pirates doing their piratey thang then that was my fault for not seeing them first .

Originally Posted by Luniticisi View Post (Source)
    Exactly, I for one will not be using my ignore list for anything other that idiots constantly hailing me with nonsense. If I get ganked by a load of pirates doing their piratey thang then that was my fault for not seeing them first .
    A healthy perspective.

Originally Posted by JohnStabler View Post (Source)
    In fact, the grouping proposal says that if you follow their hyperspace trail then you will not be put lower priority on the matchmaking system (perhaps you'll even be higher priority) to stop people putting pirates on ignore and then trying to escape.
    An interesting twist to the grouping / ignore debate.

Originally Posted by Luniticisi View Post (Source)
    And if I am 'ganked' by a load of Bounty Hunters, I shall run away and cry tears of shame into my pillow.

Originally Posted by Erimus
    ...Same with notorious and feared pirates, its one reason why I'm really keen to hear the views of pirates once the game goes live. Will they be shunned and a legitimate gamestyle consigned to memory? Will anyone ever reach Elite pirate status other than by farming npcs?
    This conjured up visions of little Vipers in a paddock and me just strafing across them with 100MW lasers....lol

Originally Posted by STABB666 View Post (Source)
    And if I am 'ganked' by a load of Bounty Hunters. . .
    Excellent dude.

As Pirates are a fundamental part of the Elite games one must accept to become a victim now and then. I'm definately more worried about all the fashion about clans, guilds and whatnot. I have the vision of "Every Man or Woman for Himself or Herself". Being a lone pirate will be very hard if you're always up against a gang.

Originally Posted by Rollo View Post (Source)
    As Pirates are a fundamental part of the Elite games one must accept to become a victim now and then. I'm definately more worried about all the fashion about clans, guilds and whatnot. I have the vision of "Every Man or Woman for Himself or Herself". Being a lone pirate will be very hard if you're always up against a gang.
    I wouldn't worry to much about clans/groups etc, i will certainly join friends to fly around with from time to time, but i expect to spend probably more time by myself due to others having commitments outside game when am on playing, and i can see this for others to.

Also remember in the org Elite that NPC ships sometimes grouped together in twos or threes so i expect that in ED to, and it could be fun taking this number on, its not impossible and something i would like to have a go at.

At the end of it all though, just make sure you invest in a fast engine, that will help!

Originally Posted by Sandro Sammarco View Post (Source)

we have bad guy gameplay options by default, this includes psychopathic behaviour - randomly attacking other player "because you can".

able to control the level of perceived griefing they want to suffer.

So my answer is to say that we will support all of them but not to the point where one player is happy at the expense of another.

Offensive behaviour during communication, whether in game or on the forums is always unacceptable.
    Psychotic behaviour is offensive by any definition. Enabling it and then paying lip service to offensive behaviour is hypocritical.

Being able to play alone is your solution to the ganking of noobs. The all group is griefers paradise. That's the game you are making.

Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 162223242526