Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: How dangerous will the universe be?

Originally Posted by Slawkenbergius View Post (Source)
    I don't mind the idea scamming, but got the impression from EVE videos that it can quickly turn into spamming, which is something I could do without. Misleading ads on the marketplace would end up as being little more than an annoyance to sift through, and would add little to the game.
    I want Elite: Dangerous to include misleading ad's, lying NPCs, corrupt law enforcement and government officials, too-good-to-be-true offers that get you into big trouble (or worse), and passengers who try to do a runner (and succeed) on occasion. If it's the same for all players it's not unfair, or immoral for that matter.

That on top of everybody else trying to do send you to rack and ruin it would make it very interesting indeed. All is fair in love and war, and all warfare is based on deception.

Originally Posted by ianw View Post (Source)
    Based on what they've said so far I can't see them intending to allow anything remotely like the worst examples of the oft quoted Eve experience.

How effective that will be - if that is their intention - remains to be seen...
    Then it will be a playground for the carebears who will get a loving arm around their shoulders and a hand to hold while they mine their precious minerals deep in the core systems.

Originally Posted by izzy View Post (Source)
    FD has to ban people having unethical behavior ... but how to do this without GM ?
    From reading these forums, I get the impression griefing is almost never done purely for its own sake. People generally pick off newbies because it's a cheap source of money, or because it's less risky than asking questions first. If Frontier can set the incentives up right, the majority of unethical behaviour will become so tiresome as to be its own punishment.

Having said that, there will always be the determined griefer that thinks it's hilarious to follow you round the universe interrupting fast-travel then skulking off before you can get a missile lock on him.

Scams have been in the game since the earliest days...

I have this super rare creature....

Originally Posted by Penthux View Post (Source)
    Then it will be a playground for the carebears who will get a loving arm around their shoulders and a hand to hold while they mine their precious minerals deep in the core systems.
    Well done! I was wondering what super-cool, hardcore REAL gamer would first mention "carebear" - you are my gaming god!

Originally Posted by JeffRyan View Post (Source)
    Scams have been in the game since the earliest days...

I have this super rare creature....
    Well... I have very strong opinions about this. If it's ok (up to a point) to kill other players and scam them, at what point does Frontier say "Ok, we'll ban him from the game"? Will it be the same for all players in all cases, even though circumstances are bound to be different? This will be a very hard thing to determine unless very solid ground rules are put in place beforehand.

Even then, are people going to want to play with those kinds of restrictions? If that's the case then stay in single-player mode where it's safe. What will be so dangerous about Elite: Dangerous? The fact that you'll crash if you can't fly your ship properly? I mean come on, get real. This is supposed to the a step forward from FFE, and a game that I've personally waited 14 years (and counting) for. Yes, we live in a more politically correct society in real life than we did in the 1990s but that doesn't mean fantasy and fiction (and computer games) have to follow suit. Right?

Originally Posted by jabokai View Post (Source)
    Well done! I was wondering what super-cool, hardcore REAL gamer would first mention "carebear" - you are my gaming god!
    Love you too Raven :*

I want Elite: Dangerous to include misleading ad's, lying NPCs, corrupt law enforcement and government officials, too-good-to-be-true offers that get you into big trouble (or worse), and passengers who try to do a runner (and succeed) on occasion. If it's the same for all players it's not unfair, or immoral for that matter.
    I was referring more to users listing, 'Super Frigate for sale. 300,000 credits' which turns out to be a 'Standard Frigate' worth more like 200,000 credits when you click through to the purchase page. That would just be annoying to me, even once I was aware of all the scams, as it slows down the act of skimming the listings.

Well... I have very strong opinions about this. If it's ok (up to a point) to kill other players and scam them, at what point does Frontier say "Ok, we'll ban him from the game"? Will it be the same for all players in all cases, even though circumstances are bound to be different? This will be a very hard thing to determine unless very solid ground rules are put in place beforehand.

Even then, are people going to want to play with those kinds of restrictions? If that's the case then stay in single-player mode where it's safe. What will be so dangerous about Elite: Dangerous? The fact that you'll crash if you can't fly your ship properly? I mean come on, get real. This is supposed to the a step forward from FFE, and a game that I've personally waited 14 years (and counting) for. Yes, we live in a more politically correct society in real life than we did in the 1990s but that doesn't mean fantasy and fiction (and computer games) have to follow suit. Right?
    I think it's fine up until the point you start real-life harassing players or giving our RL information on people. But i really think the game shouldn't be policed and Frontier ONLY step in if a real law or someone is causing real damage to people. Even then I'm wary about ever stepping in because then you start drawing lines.

I was referring more to users listing, 'Super Frigate for sale. 300,000 credits' which turns out to be a 'Standard Frigate' worth more like 200,000 credits when you click through to the purchase page. That would just be annoying to me, even once I was aware of all the scams, as it slows down the act of skimming the listings.
    The only annoying thing about that would be, if they were noobs or carebears (or both) and stayed docked 24/7 so you couldn't watch the life draining from their freezing eyeballs as you bust a hole the size of a cargo canister in their hulls.

Originally Posted by JeffRyan View Post (Source)
    I think it's fine up until the point you start real-life harassing players or giving our RL information on people. But i really think the game shouldn't be policed and Frontier ONLY step in if a real law or someone is causing real damage to people. Even then I'm wary about ever stepping in because then you start drawing lines.
    Yes, but only those who are desperate and foolish resort to using real life as a tool to try and gain that which is not possible. Remember, this is a game. It can be turned off. Real life cannot be turned off and has no real part to play in Elite: Dangerous. I've seen it happen though, many times, where threats of "coming round to your house to sort you out" have been banded about like Pokemon cards. One guy once said to me, "I've got your IP. I know where you live." Yet, he thought I was American!

Is there going to be player market/bulletin boards in the game at all anyway? I cannot recall seeing it mentioned.

Me love you long time.

I agree with the soulless corporate *****- The real world has all of these things, so why shouldn't the Elite world?

Not just saying that because I'm going to be the subject of complaints, because I fully intend to have a retirement that I want to live out in relative peace, eventually. Which is a bit of a dream in itself. But we're supposed to be flying through space, populated by aliens, bad people and unfortunately placed stuff that's going to try and kill us. Scared? Buy an interplanetary shuttle and go and not land somewhere.

Anyone can hire a respectable bunch of heroes to jump in front of bullets for them, as well as playing their own dirty tricks. "Save me, I'm in distress!" Pirate shows up and...oh, ity b******s there's five of you. At that point, it's probably a case of "Come on then- I'll take you all on!" Shortly before my animal meat is scooped up and sold at discount prices.

I think the difficulty involved in Piracy, and just being an , is severely underestimated in amongst all this fear mongering. Pirates are people too, ya know?

Love you too Raven :*
    I think we need to be more specific here.

From what I've read some scamming in eve involves real world money.

IF that is what you are talking about then I don't think you can equate that with crashing your ship.

Originally Posted by jabokai View Post (Source)
    Is there going to be player market/bulletin boards in the game at all anyway? I cannot recall seeing it mentioned.
    Not for ships in the initial release (too many risks to investigate in the time available), but yes for goods.

Originally Posted by Andrew Sayers View Post (Source)
    Not for ships in the initial release (too many risks to investigate in the time available), but yes for goods.
    I cannot recall seeing it in that proposal either! Single player to player trading, yes. But actual public player BB postings/adverts/market/etc? I don't see it there!

Originally Posted by ianw View Post (Source)
    I think we need to be more specific here.

From what I've read some scamming in eve involves real world money.

IF that is what you are talking about then I don't think you can equate that with crashing your ship.
    Yes. For a long time, buying ISK in Eve was outlawed and some people lost a whole lot of $$$. That's not fair but then buying ISK when it wasn't allowed isn't fair either. Besides, that's a matter for the real world Police to deal with. If people are foolish enough to try and cheat the system, sometimes the price is higher than they expected.

I've always been a strong proponent of not wanting real life cash to be involved in E: D in any way. What you've just stated is one of the reasons why not.

The only annoying thing about that would be, if they were noobs or carebears (or both) and stayed docked 24/7 so you couldn't watch the life draining from their freezing eyeballs as you bust a hole the size of a cargo canister in their hulls.
    Perhaps for you. I would be annoyed if scamming negatively affected the UI experience, so I'm hoping the listings will be generated by the trading system, rather than written by the player.

Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast