Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: How dangerous will the universe be?

Originally Posted by jabokai View Post (Source)
    I cannot recall seeing it in that proposal either! Single player to player trading, yes. But actual public player BB postings/adverts/market/etc? I don't see it there!
    Somehow or other, you've got to be made aware of what other players have to offer...

Originally Posted by jabokai View Post (Source)
    I cannot recall seeing it in that proposal either! Single player to player trading, yes. But actual public player BB postings/adverts/market/etc? I don't see it there!
    Sorry, I assumed you meant "market" in the general sense. I haven't seen any indication there will be a specific P2P trading screen, although I expect anything else would quickly degenerate into spamming players on their way into a space station.

This should already solve part of the excesses, unethical

Originally Posted by STABB666 View Post (Source)
    Anyone can hire a respectable bunch of heroes to jump in front of bullets for them, as well as playing their own dirty tricks.
    We're drifting back into PvP, but this assumes everyone wants the same thing from the game. Being scammed makes you feel angry and getting your own back makes you feel vindicated. Whereas being scammed makes me feel helpless and getting my own back feels worse. I'd love to play some co-op though, and can accept the occasional shenanigan adding salt to the universe so long as it's very much the exception. How do you balance the game in a way that makes me want to play in the same universe as you?

Originally Posted by Patrick_68000 View Post (Source)
    This should already solve part of the excesses, unethical

Agree that solve many probem

Only thing I've saw to do with player trading is

Originally Posted by Trading DDF archive View Post (Source)
    Player to Player Trading
    Players can trade directly with each other
    The player trade interface is available when both players are docked at the same market
    The player trade interface is available when two players dock ships
    The player trade interface is a secure swap allowing players to transfer credits/cargo
    Both players must accept the trade before it occurs
    Acceptance must be redone by both parties after any change in the trade
    Trading occurs in real-time and can be interrupted (for example by being attacked) unless taking place at a space dock
    Either player can cancel the trade at any time up to the point both agree

Horse for courses.

Originally Posted by Andrew Sayers View Post (Source)
    We're drifting back into PvP, but this assumes everyone wants the same thing from the game. Being scammed makes you feel angry and getting your own back makes you feel vindicated. Whereas being scammed makes me feel helpless and getting my own back feels worse. I'd love to play some co-op though, and can accept the occasional shenanigan adding salt to the universe so long as it's very much the exception. How do you balance the game in a way that makes we want to play in the same universe as you?
    True enough, but there's inevitably going to be a bunch of people who are looking for that experience. I think it's a nice format, personally, but at least it's not required based on groups.
    Healthier than Pilates, more flexible than Yoga, smarter than Yoda and with Interesting Times to be had by all.
    p.s. I've got my eye on you. And your cargo.

The Elite (Con)Federation of Pirates. © ® TM SM 2013 Patent Pending
    Stolen from various parties to whom no credit, nor royalties shall be given. This is Piracy, after all.

We're drifting back into PvP, but this assumes everyone wants the same thing from the game. Being scammed makes you feel angry and getting your own back makes you feel vindicated. Whereas being scammed makes me feel helpless and getting my own back feels worse. I'd love to play some co-op though, and can accept the occasional shenanigan adding salt to the universe so long as it's very much the exception. How do you balance the game in a way that makes me want to play in the same universe as you?
    Well, Elite: Dangerous universe will be the biggest thing since God created the real one. I'm sure with so many places to go and things to do there will be something to take your mind off being scammed and/or having to defend yourself. Maybe meet up with some friendly characters and form a circle of ships around an asteroid to sing "Kum Ba Yah" in between parcel deliveries for the Alliance? Either that, or you could tell each other stories about how long the plasma trail was behind your ship as you accelerated away from the danger of a fast approaching micrometeorite.

Balance is a choice. You either do something because you know it's worth the time/effort/risk or you do not. It's not going to be that small a game where only a few repetitive tasks are possible. I'm sure you will find something to do that doesn't put your welfare at risk or leave you with a zero credit bank balance.

How do you balance the game in a way that makes me want to play in the same universe as you?
    A lot of people ask this type of question. However it assumes that it is possible or even desirable.

My original question was pertinent because it is not possible to keep all parties happy. The developers need to make decisions which will alienate players.
    Lave Radio Podcast // Swift Dispatch - Stories & eyewitness accounts

Stands to reason, or logic, or something.

But surely by implementing groups, this is in effect a bunch of gated communities already? Maybe they (those in private groups) need to hop out into the wider world to pick up groceries once in a while, but they can head back in pretty quick, so why worry? The Elite universe is more like Mad Max than it is Brady Bunch, so y'all better be ready to face the consequences when leaving the relative safety of 'small group vs NPC' land.
    Healthier than Pilates, more flexible than Yoga, smarter than Yoda and with Interesting Times to be had by all.

Stolen from various parties to whom no credit, nor royalties shall be given. This is Piracy, after all.

Originally Posted by JohnStabler View Post (Source)
    My original question was pertinent because it is not possible to keep all parties happy. The developers need to make decisions which will alienate players.
    And my original answer was a rebuttal of that premise. Here's an example of how it might work:

We know the Empire and Federation are in a colder state of war than the previous games, so it's not hard to imagine a demilitarised zone between them. In other words, a region of space not too far from players' starting positions where laws are only enforced by local entities. Miners and explorers wouldn't give it a second thought, but it would be the perfect playground for pirates and bounty hunters. If Frontier tweaked the rules to make PvP uniquely profitable there (e.g. reducing insurance premiums for players that regularly attacked "the other side"), they could make a universe where people naturally gravitate towards the area they will most enjoy.

Agreed, somewhat.

And my original answer was a rebuttal of that premise. Here's an example of how it might work:

We know the Empire and Federation are in a colder state of war than the previous games, so it's not hard to imagine a demilitarised zone between them. In other words, a region of space not too far from players' starting positions where laws are only enforced by local entities. Miners and explorers wouldn't give it a second thought, but it would be the perfect playground for pirates and bounty hunters. If Frontier tweaked the rules to make PvP uniquely profitable there (e.g. reducing insurance premiums for players that regularly attacked "the other side"), they could make a universe where people naturally gravitate towards the area they will most enjoy.
    It might take time, but it does seem like a logical conclusion if the solution is to create 'zones' that allow such different behaviours to exist. I do recall there being 'letters of marque' to allow players to effectively act as privateers on behalf of one of the main blocs, so with that said, when two players bearing opposing marques come across one another, conflict is inevitable.

Originally Posted by STABB666 View Post (Source)
    It might take time, but it does seem like a logical conclusion if the solution is to create 'zones' that allow such different behaviours to exist.
    Just a little nitpick - making certain behaviours (im)possible in certain zones hasn't gone down well in previous discussions. My previous post (somewhat abruptly, in fairness to John) introduced the idea of providing enticements that give players unambiguous benefits without jumping on their heads.

Compare that to EVE where high-sec adds ridiculously high penalties but still leaves the juicy targets in place for anyone smart enough to find a way around the rules. I appreciate how that adds another layer to EVE's ever-growing onion of scams, but that's not the sort of gameplay that's emerging from ED's mechanics, and bolting it on at this point wouldn't really work.

Here's how i see it.

Situation A

The playerbase is mature and handles interactions with other players in a mature fashion. Sometimes things get out of hand, but the community rallies round to sort out these types of 'Out Of Character' disputes. People understand that 'In Character' disputes are a seperate issue. The function to 'play solo' or 'play with friends' is seldom used and only be people like John Stabler and other cider drinkers.

Situation B

Mutiny! The MMO side of the game is in the hands of gankers and pirates who gank and pirate and scam each other. Sometimes newbies join the mix but they're quickly ganked, scammed or pirated out. A few hardy souls try their best and mainly survive by exploring or keeping to themselves in out of the way systems. Chaos and Anarchy Reigns! Space Ranger Ryan fights the good fight and after several years brings order, is proclaimed by popular approval Emperor and Frontier Development gives his player an income to dedicate himself to running the 'In Character' combined Alliance-Empire-Federation Imperium.

John Stabler and his friends drink cider from the sidelines and curse their lack of whiskey genes.

Redefining the wheel...

Just a little nitpick - making certain behaviours (im)possible in certain zones hasn't gone down well in previous discussions. My previous post (somewhat abruptly, in fairness to John) introduced the idea of providing enticements that give players unambiguous benefits without jumping on their heads.

Compare that to EVE where high-sec adds ridiculously high penalties but still leaves the juicy targets in place for anyone smart enough to find a way around the rules. I appreciate how that adds another layer to EVE's ever-growing onion of scams, but that's not the sort of gameplay that's emerging from ED's mechanics, and bolting it on at this point wouldn't really work.
    I see what you're saying- but I didn't really present my statement correctly. I should have said that creation of these 'zones' would be best allowed through a mission-based set of situations, and the evolution of the background sim, creating these 'free spaces' as a consequence of natural progression of the story in itself. I didn't mean to imply that these areas begin with some seperate set of gameplay rules than the rest of the galaxy, beyond that which would apply in the dynamic sense of ruling faction, government style, police presence, corruption, etc.

Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast