Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: How dangerous will the universe be?

Originally Posted by Maxeren View Post (Source)
    I hope they make it like it says in the title "Dangerous"... and to hell with carebears.. i've been killed plenty in EvE and every other space game and i had to live with it without reporting and whining, because its part of the game.
    If FD had intended to satisfy the carebears, then they might as well not have had PvP at all.
    Agree, it is a part of the game, if you don't want to be killed you must kill before

Originally Posted by Penthux View Post (Source)
    Some people believe it's Frontier's role to give them exactly what they want in this game, regardless of anybody else.
    And you must surely include yourself in that. You want the game a certain way - same as the career griefer, same as those you call carebears.

Originally Posted by Penthux View Post (Source)
    It's a big bad universe out there... so KOS the carebears!
    It's comments like that which are leaning me towards playing in a private group, or solo, sadly. I know you're kind of joking but it's actually representative of a decent number of players - weak targets are a desirable snack, all counting towards their kill count. Personally I'm much more interested in the exploration, smuggling and trading side of this game than in any of the combat roles so what's in it for me in your big bad universe? I don't plan on attacking anyone (because my ship won't be kitted out for it) unless attacked first - so all I have to look forward to is having my **** handed to me because I'm easy prey? Tell me why that's so good again?

Pecisk - "I will sound as broken record, but this won't change." David Braben - "So some news - we will be reversing this change shortly"

Originally Posted by izzy View Post (Source)
    Agree, it is a part of the game, if you don't want to be killed you must kill before
    It was agreed at the outset !

Originally Posted by jabokai View Post (Source)
    And you must surely include yourself in that. You want the game a certain way - same as the career griefer, same as those you call carebears.

It's comments like that which are leaning me towards playing in a private group, or solo, sadly. I know you're kind of joking but it's actually representative of a decent number of players - weak targets are a desirable snack, all counting towards their kill count. Personally I'm much more interested in the exploration, smuggling and trading side of this game than in any of the combat roles so what's in it for me in your big bad universe? I don't plan on attacking anyone (because my ship won't be kitted out for it) unless attacked first - so all I have to look forward to is having my **** handed to me because I'm easy prey? Tell me why that's so good again?
    Who said anything about it being good? but does that mean it shouldn't be there?
    You're easy prey because you chose to be.. why should players who play the role of someone who attacks people (pirates, bounty hunters etc.) be punished for that?

If i play a pirate, should i not be allowed to attack anyone on sight that i though was carrying some good loot?

Matt Dickinson
    '...your ship will look after you, treat her well!'

I hope they make it like it says in the title "Dangerous"... and to hell with carebears.. i've been killed plenty in EvE and every other space game and i had to live with it without reporting and whining, because its part of the game.
    If FD had intended to satisfy the carebears, then they might as well not have had PvP at all.
    Beware of Carebears in dangerous Elite

Hasn't this topic been discussed to death already? Let's see what Frontier has planned and how the game will work before we start drawing demons (or demonic bears) in every corner...

7. Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. #82
    I have to say I really dislike the term 'carebears'.

Michael

aaahhhh! Michael is injured. The game will be even more terrible than expected

According to the urban dictionary...

Care Bear

1. Lightly derogatory term for an MMO player who avoids PVP combat, heavily preferring cooperative or solo PVE combat, chatting, or developing tradeskills/running quests. Depending on the game and the individual, this PVP avoidance can show up in several ways: by playing on strict non-PVP servers; by avoiding PVP areas or declining duels; or, by avoiding or condemning PVP players. Philosophically, they often cite unbalanced combat systems, overpowered guilds, ebayed characters, and ganking as reasons to prefer less aggressive play. The mindset can be self-sustaining in several ways: high-level "care bears" may have avatars that are tailored for PVE, not PVP; they may not network with skilled PVP players; or, they may morally refuse to learn aggressive PVP tactics. As an insult, the term applies less to players who merely prefer PVE to PVP and more to individuals who question the basic legitimacy of PVP or who greatly overreact to their avatars' deaths. Bear in mind that it is strictly incorrect to refer to the victims of heavy exploiters as Care Bears. Abbreviated CB. Compare with RPK, Player Killing/PK, PVP.

2. Adjective describing a strictly PVE server or game.
    PVP: *kills CB*
    CB: What the ****? I didn't do anything to you; why did you kill me?
    PVP: You were there.
    CB: This is bull****. Go away!
    PVP: *kills CB again*
    CB: Quit camping me! is wrong with you?
    PVP: You were still there.
    CB: *logs out*

Above sounds like any other day in EvE

Matt Dickinson

Who said anything about it being good? but does that mean it shouldn't be there?
    You're easy prey because you chose to be.. why should players who play the role of someone who attacks people (pirates, bounty hunters etc.) be punished for that?

If i play a pirate, should i not be allowed to attack anyone on sight that i though was carrying some good loot?
    Okay, so I go and play in a private group or solo - how would your game be better if everyone playing the more passive roles did that?

Pecisk - "I will sound as broken record, but this won't change." David Braben - "So some news - we will be reversing this change shortly"

Okay, so I go and play in a private group or solo - how would your game be better if everyone playing the more passive roles did that?
    Didn't say it would, but there should be dangers with playing passive as there are dangers with killing someone and getting a bounty.
    You are saying outright you won't play with others because you might get killed, so you don't want the danger i take it?

Matt Dickinson

Originally Posted by Michael Brookes View Post (Source)

Michael
    It's derisive of a specific style of play which I find offensive. I like to mix it up, but completely support that people want to play without combat being more interested in the industrial/crafting/non-combat sides of a game. And are looked down upon because of it.

Even if you play solo or in private group, you can be attacked by pirates NPC if you don't take safe route ...

Didn't say it would, but there should be dangers with playing passive as there are dangers with killing someone and getting a bounty.
    You are saying outright you won't play with others because you might get killed, so you don't want the danger i take it?
    No, not at all. But if that's ALL it was then I'd see no point - I was responding to the "KOS carebears" comment.

Originally Posted by Michael Brookes View Post (Source)
    It is clearly being used as a derogatory term by most of those who use it. I would not mind it if it was added to the forum's "blocked words" list...

Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast