Page 5 of 45 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: Minimum Specs for Alpha Test

Originally Posted by Liqua View Post (Source)
    Try here : LINK

Quick piece of software that you can run to interrogate your GPU.

Also, as a comparison look on here and find your video card - The minimum spec as mention by Michael scores 1.253 so as long as yours is higher you should have no issues.
    Now THAT's a useful site.... excellent comparison although it won't necessarily translate directly for E : D since each app/game uses/abuses video cards differently

A site that's giving theoretical comparisons between GPU:s
    http://www.hwcompare.com/
    Gaming performance / differences may (will) vary.

Friendliest Meteor Police that side of Riedquat ... and keep it under Lightspeed!
    My Elite: Dangerous videos , Logitech Extreme 3D Pro bindings

True, but for the people who have no idea whether their card will make the grade or not it's a decent starting point
    True I guess, just something about that benchmark makes me rage sorry lol.

Originally Posted by Michael Brookes View Post (Source)
    You don't get full DX11 support on XP. Vista should be ok, but Win 7 and above is what we're explicitly supporting.

We support both 32 and 64 bit, but we haven't decided whether it will be 32 bit only for the initial tests or to go for both.
    Yep.. XP is all but obsolete - if you are using it you need to replace it very soon. The OS will loose support in 2014, which isn't far off.

64-bit please

Oh there's a difference :-)

Michael
    Hmm.. Now that sounds interesting.

I bet choosing the right computer specs to aim at is no trivial decision. Too high a spec and you risk making the game unreachable for most and too low and it could be detrimental to the gameplay and vfx.

I think the present min spec level is looking very do-able for most gamers. My only concern re the GPU is that you are using one with 2gb.. Where I would say the standard amount on most peoples cards is 1gb. I'm guessing this should not make a huge difference.

This is just a suggestion but I tell you what might be useful - If you could do some bench mark tests using MSI Kombustor - which you get with the MSI Afterburner GPU utility (or another bench marker that is freely available).

It could be helpful in allowing players to gauge how their PC compares.

http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm

edit: or available here.. the msi site is linking only to the beta afterburner at the moment.
    ‘It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen.’

Also, as a comparison look on here and find your video card - The minimum spec as mention by Michael scores 1.253 so as long as yours is higher you should have no issues.
    Now I'm confused. You say it scores 1.253, but that website says "1253".

My GPU only scores 752. But it does run DirectX 11 fine.

What does that mean? Will I have problems?
    Commander JazHaz,

Design Decision Forum member

Wow, very reasonable specs. Turns out that I can use my old and my new machine. Is it OK to install and test on multiples or are there licensing issues and can I only test on one platform at the time? I am assuming it should be OK. More feedback about different platforms is helpful, right?
    Bring it on!

True, but for the people who have no idea whether their card will make the grade or not it's a decent starting point
    Yes it is, many thanks for the links

8. Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. #68
    Originally Posted by Twix166 View Post (Source)
    Wow, very reasonable specs. Turns out that I can use my old and my new machine. Is it OK to install and test on multiples or are there licensing issues and can I only test on one platform at the time? I am assuming it should be OK. More feedback about different platforms is helpful, right?
    You would only be able to play one instance at a time.

Michael

It might be ok. For min spec we've designated 1280 by 720 as the lowest resolution.

Michael
    Hmm, that is just enough for my Rift...

Probably not.

Michael
    I am so glad of this. Sick of PC games being stuck in the DX9/SM3 days! Bring on those geometry shaders!

Originally Posted by Cosmos View Post (Source)
    Yep.. XP is all but obsolete - if you are using it you need to replace it very soon. The OS will loose support in 2014, which isn't far off.

64-bit please ....the GPU is that you are using one with 2gb.. Where I would say the standard amount on most peoples cards is 1gb. I'm guessing this should not make a huge difference. ...
    Ditto. Ditch the 32bit I say!

Also I did ask about the GPU ram too earlier, you may have missed it?
    1GB 560Ti myself

Hello Michael
    What system do you think we need to play at 1080p with all the eye candy?

11. Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. #71
    Originally Posted by Kerrash View Post (Source)
    Hmm, that is just enough for my Rift...

I am so glad of this. Sick of PC games being stuck in the DX9/SM3 days! Bring on those geometry shaders!

1GB 560Ti myself
    At the moment 1GB video ram is a bit low, it's certainly beneath my test machine, but we are working on reducing that so we'll see.

Michael

Originally Posted by graham.reeds View Post (Source)
    That's the NVidia, but I am pretty sure it is a Radeon I have in my lappy.

I was right, according to this page I have a 5850 but I remember looking a few weeks ago and it listed it as a 5800.

Quite near the top of the list and I get 7.0 on the WEI:-)
    Ok forget what I said before I was thinking about the old Metro 2033 and Crysis/Warhead benchmarks where the 5770 was not far off the GTX280/285 but just looking though some old benchmarks it is a lot slower in quite a few other games.

Looking though the notebook check review for the 5870m it doesn't do to badly, ok this is from a couple of years ago but performance wise would say you might be just about ok still.

Notebook check 5870m
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/ATI-Mob...0.23073.0.html

13. Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. #73
    Originally Posted by Rogehans View Post (Source)
    Hello Michael
    What system do you think we need to play at 1080p with all the eye candy?
    We're only talking about minimum specs for the alpha test for now.

Michael

Thanks Michael no problem I fully understand

Originally Posted by Kerrash View Post (Source)

1GB 560Ti myself
    They can't ditch 32-bit.. very bad commercial idea. Its my understanding that they would have to compile two builds a 32bit and a 64bit one.

However if they just concentrate on 32bit.. its one client to download.
    ‘It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen.’

Page 5 of 45 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast