Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: Meet the Team #11 - James Avery (Senior VFX Artist)

Another great interview, thanks James and Ashley :)

Originally Posted by Ashley Barley View Post (Source)
    Meet the Team #11 - James Avery (Senior VFX Artist)
    We have also introduced lens flares to stars, thrusters and explosions!
    Just a quick question on lens flares, we know we see them in films and directors such as J. J. Abrams appear to have a love affair with them. But what are their justifications for ED?

I was under the impression that lens flaring only occur when viewing things via lenses, but as everything we see is through the eyes of our commander, why would we have lens flaring?

Oh and Jabokai beat me to it with Neil Gaiman's Sandman suggestion :)

Originally Posted by Hamerstein View Post (Source)
    I was under the impression that lens flaring only occur when viewing things via lenses, but as everything we see is through the eyes of our commander, why would we have lens flaring?
    Because in moderation it can look nice. Obviously JJ Abrams goes way too far :-/

Excellent interview, thank you! And loved the Damocles video presentation entirely.

Great stuff thanks James and Ashley

Originally Posted by Hamerstein View Post (Source)
    Lens flare occurs not just with lenses but with any bit of glassware... it's just more pronounced with lenses as they actively bend/manipulate the light. It occurs when light hits impurities or imperfections in the glass (or dust specs on the surface)

If you want to lose lens flare, get rid of your windscreen (or should that be space or vacuum screen?).... ;)

Comics i would recommend would be Preacher and Constantine ( Please ignore the bloody awful Hollywood film with Keanu Reeves ).

Originally Posted by Super Manx View Post (Source)
    Comics i would recommend would be Preacher and Constantine ( Please ignore the bloody awful Hollywood film with Keanu Reeves ).
    I used to live with a comics obsessive, and remember him coming back from the comic fair with pretty much the entire run of Constantine. Think he spent something like £400 for a car boot full.

Of all the stuff he lent me, the stuff I most enjoyed was Harvey Pekar's 'American Splendor' series... Alan Moore's 'Swamp Thing' was really good, I seem to remember.

Originally Posted by MikeSnos View Post (Source)
    Lens flare occurs not just with lenses but with any bit of glassware... it's just more pronounced with lenses as they actively bend/manipulate the light. It occurs when light hits impurities or imperfections in the glass (or dust specs on the surface)

If you want to lose lens flare, get rid of your windscreen (or should that be space or vacuum screen?).... ;)
    Heh thanks Mike! I think that I'll live with a little lens flare then...beats holding my breath for a very, very long time :D

Aaaaarrrrrrggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhh

Originally Posted by ashley barley View Post (Source)
    i can tell you now that the game has already matched and exceeded the visuals in the video. It is starting to look truly stunning.
    ^^^^^^^T H I S^^^^^^^

I'm SO EXCITED for this game. Just give us the Alpha already!!!!!!!!!!!*

Excellent interview, Damocles video and work to-date. Thank you.

*Our work Christmas party is tonight. Pre-drinking may have already commenced.

This all sounds exactly what I wanted to hear. Can't wait even more now if that is even possible !

One thing I am interested in is the star field. Will it be a texture similar to x-rebirth etc or will it be more like I-war/I-war 2 (if anyone remembers that) where it had motion blur and didn't pixelate...I've always had issues with a space game feeling immersive when the stars have artifacts/tiling issues and don't motion blur.

A good read :)

And I'll second what everyone else has said, the Damocles video was stunning and if you're exceeding that ingame I'm going to be wetting myself in anticipation while it downloads.

I. Can't. Wait!!

Originally Posted by Slawkenbergius View Post (Source)
    Really looking forward to seeing the debris system, and hope that some of the chunks are big enough that they could possibly even take out your own ship if your shields are down and hull low.

Good interview.
    It's near the Dagobah system, just to the right a bit.

Thanks for the interview...

Is that an exploding space dock I see behind you on the screen?

Great to see another interview.

This is one of my favourites because I am keenly interested in the area and I think everyone has been surprised by the high standard of VFX on ED. I've also been extremely impressed with the attention to detail from the whole project.

Its overwhelming to see the game look so great and understanding that things are only getting better is awesome to hear..

I've written about lens flares (the huge circular artifacts type) before in a not too flattering way - partly because I think they end up being used excessively. Have you had similar concerns in the way you have applied them - and by that I am thinking of J J Abrams excessive use of them in star trek..

The visual effects from the running game we saw in the dev diary looked incredible and I only saw one lens flare that seemed excessive. The type I am talking about can be see at 1.51 in the dev diary and are artifacts from the sun I think. I'm not sure if I am right about this because the game looks absolutely stunning.. So final judgement reserved until Alpha.

Hey, what do I know? But in the settings might these be something we can adjust? :)

Keep up the amazing work!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast