Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: Meet the Team #11 - James Avery (Senior VFX Artist)

Thanks to James and Ashley - another really interesting "meet the team".

Firstly congrats on the "Damocles" vid. It's probably the best visual attractor for the whole game. Superb, and if the gameplay comes even close, I'll have to be forced to switch off and leave the game.

Comics: well a lot of 200AD stuff is great: all things Dredd of course, Rogue Trooper and Strontium Dog. Too much choice really.

I can't stress this enough: I'm *really* pleased that you guys are putting serious effort in trying to go for realism (as much as possible). That's going to give E: D a very pleasing, individual and distinctive style. I think it's going to be one of the (many) things that sets E: D aside from the rest. After all, you can't be the best by copying tired old and hackneyed ideas.

Lens flare effects: I have my personal opinion on them, possibly coloured by their overuse in film and tv, so I'm interested to see where their use in E: D is on the "too much/subtle/off" scale is.

Looking forward to seeing some Alpha footage!

Soon.

Originally Posted by Cosmos View Post (Source)
    "...and I think everyone has been surprised by the high standard of VFX on ED."
    Nope, they are pretty much where I have expected them to be...actually I'm still expecting a bit more. There is a good reason why I've been so excited about this game since a saw a tweet about their KS launching.
    >> MIND THE GAP...SIGNATURE CREATION IN PROGRESS (Soon™)<<
    List of official design proposals

Good interview!

My favourite VFX in a space game to date have GOT TO BE Haegamonia Legions of Iron.

Check this out - especially from 2.20 onwards.

AND it's probably getting on for a decade old now.

Amazing use of combinations of particle and sprite animation - honestly don't think it's been bettered in terms of VFX to this day, even by the likes of EVE etc.

Originally Posted by Ashley Barley View Post (Source)
    I'm sure you'll have lots of lovely screenshots to pour over in due course.
    Tease
    Cmdr Dark Knight
    Planet: Guardinia
    Station: Norman & Mavis's Bingo Palace

My comics top 10 list that I think you'd like:

Blueberry
    Concrete
    Ghost In The Shell
    Hellboy (Library Editions)
    Lone Wolf & Cub
    The Life and Times of Martha Washington in the Twenty-First Century
    Planetary
    Preacher
    Usagi Yojimbo
    Y: The Last Man

This left out some serious contenders, both superhero-type and more down to earth/serious or heavy stories, such as Powers, Watchmen, Sandman, Love & Rockets, Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, Sin City, Maus, Black Hole... and this list is endless.
    While Alan Moore is recognised as the master of comics writers, I'd be hesitant to recommend anything other than the League of Extra-Ordinary Gentlemen as a starter (even though my favourites are Promethea or From Hell) - lots of his work really works best when your knowledge of comics and their tropes is extensive.
    And there are many, many ongoing characters that are worthy of a looksee, like Dredd.

But if I had to recommend just one, then it would be: AKIRA by Katsuhiro Otomo.

Never been a comic fan but I read graphic comic once in a library and the memory of it has never left me. The character was called Lobo, and he had just decimated and entire planet or something, and was some sort of psychopath.. Its style and grittiness was incredible. That was a long time ago..

It was darkly humored but would recommend

If we are talking anime, my favourite is 3x3 eyes and Laputa - island in the sky. and not many have such incredible music scores. Some great stuff there James Just provided some interesting links.. you'd need to check them out further for the nitty gritty.

Originally Posted by mr.wolfie View Post (Source)

But if I had to recommend just one, then it would be: AKIRA by Katsuhiro Otomo.
    Don't forget to mention Venus Wars..

Comics:

Space-Time Agent Valerian has some stunning visuals & story arcs

Friendliest Meteor Police that side of Riedquat ... and keep it under Lightspeed!
    My Elite: Dangerous videos , Logitech Extreme 3D Pro bindings , Explorer visual reference

Originally Posted by Gee View Post (Source)
    Good interview!

My favourite VFX in a space game to date have GOT TO BE Haegamonia Legions of Iron.

Check this out - especially from 2.20 onwards.

AND it's probably getting on for a decade old now.

Amazing use of combinations of particle and sprite animation - honestly don't think it's been bettered in terms of VFX to this day, even by the likes of EVE etc.
    Hey great minds think alike!

I thought I was the only fan of Haegemonia: Legions of Iron.

The animations are brilliant and I remember being so excited when it came out. It had almost everything I wanted from a space 4X

I would drool everytime seeing those gorgeous planetscapes! Some of the best rendered planets this side of Diso!

Nice to meet you James.

The effects i saw in the last carrier battle helped push me into supporting this epic game.

Thanks for the great work, we have all waited so long.

so if anyone has any recommendations on great comics I would love to hear about them!
    Yes ...

&

If you haven't read these already ... well ... just trust me, they will have a permanent space on your bookshelf. Credo.

Great interview. Very interesting. Thank you James! Thank you Ashley!

• Without a doubt, Elite is an absolutely huge undertaking. The level of detail that is needed to make the experience feel immersive and real is at times mind boggling
    • I can tell you now that the game has already matched and exceeded the visuals in the video. It is starting to look truly stunning.
    • All of the ships that I have seen being worked on for this game look absolutely stunning. The level of thought and detail put in to them is mind blowing and each one feels unique to look at and to pilot.

This game will be very impressive and a delight for the eyes

• There is nothing more satisfying than seeing your enemy burst in to a ball of flames after a tense dog fight

• As to what role, definitely a Pirate! I can just imagine the tense moment before I fly out from within an asteroid field and ambush a lone trader to steal the goods that I spotted them exchanging in the previous system!

It will take be wary of that one ...

Recommended Comic books

Watchmen!

(Can you guess how much I like it?)
    (Credit for the image goes to Moozipan)
    Commander Reighdar One man. One ship. One galaxy.

Great interview really really interesting.

Hopefully jay won't mind but went looking for his show reel after he said how important it is.

Think I found it here

Very impressive, it's fantastic to have so many talented people working on this game.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast