Page 319 of 335 FirstFirst ... 309315316317318319320321322323329 ... LastLast
Results 4,771 to 4,785 of 5014

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: The No Man's Sky Thread

I think the reason the industry awarded HG is fairly obvious, the game breaks new ground. Like it or not, that's the way it is..

Originally Posted by Zak Gordon View Post (Source)
    Yeah, i hope Sir David found some time to watch that GDC talk. He loves maths and it would provide some details and hints at how ED could make some really great planet-scapes when they get to that expansion.
    Blimey, can you imagine SM, BDOBE and a few others doing a talk all about game tech and science....

Perhaps get them playing each other's game and commenting, commentating and delving into 'how they tick'.

....sign me up now!!!!

Originally Posted by Wylie28 View Post (Source)
    Does it need one? Thier planetary terrain tech blows everyone elses out of the water and everyone in the industry knows it. Heres hoping Frontier is taking notes. Ive seen some very good terrain features in NMS that are realistic and could exist within EDs 2D noise system of generation.
    Huh?

Does it need one? Thier planetary terrain tech blows everyone elses out of the water and everyone in the industry knows it. Heres hoping Frontier is taking notes. Ive seen some very good terrain features in NMS that are realistic and could exist within EDs 2D noise system of generation.
    NMS? Realistic? Does not compute. It does create some amazing vistas, and i really like their artstyle, but realistic?

Originally Posted by mrsanders View Post (Source)
    NMS? Realistic? Does not compute. It does create some amazing vistas, and i really like their artstyle, but realistic?
    Yeah, I am confused as well. If he said something about flora&fauna or something I may have understood as there is little to compare it with. But the terrain in NMS is so basic, without any kind of modeling of, well, anything. I've never heared anyone compliment them on it either, despite the 'everyone in the industry' claim.

Also they did win the GDC award... From that error alone its clear your post is not to be taken seriously. Besides, name one reason why other retweets dont count?
    Never claimed they didn't win the award - their tweet did ( https://twitter.com/NoMansSky/status/837159337109901313 ) - I was simply parahrasing what their tweets were about.

1 reason why I personally don't count retweets : automated bots.

My logic is sound; it wasn't an attempt to discredit anyone; I bought the game and enjoyed it for around 70 hours; I was simply pointing out that SM has not tweeted much despite your claim otherwise; go find someone else to attempt to discredit as you sir are a failure and will be /ignored if you make such posts again!
    I don't like ED atm, so "I guess I'm just one of those entitled tosspots"

[
    Basic Network 101 Guide for ED] [Menu logging is legitimate] [SomaFM] [No Mans Sky] [One punch man]

Originally Posted by mrsanders View Post (Source)
    You are thinking textures. Im talking pure terrain formations. And i didnt say all, i said some. ED should not just copy NMS. But there are some thingsthe NMS generator does ED could greatly benefit using.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Originally Posted by sleutelbos View Post (Source)
    Yeah, I am confused as well. If he said something about flora&fauna or something I may have understood as there is little to compare it with. But the terrain in NMS is so basic, without any kind of modeling of, well, anything. I've never heared anyone compliment them on it either, despite the 'everyone in the industry' claim.
    Far from basic. Do you even have any expeirance in procedural terrain generation to make such claims? Ill have to take some pictures next time i have free-time in the SE Lab.

You are thinking textures. Im talking pure terrain formations. And i didnt say all, i said some. ED should not just copy NMS. But there are some thingsthe NMS generator does ED could greatly benefit using.

Yeah, not so much...

Originally Posted by Mu77ley View Post (Source)
    I repeat "And i didnt say all, i said some. ED should not just copy NMS. But there are some thingsthe NMS generator does ED could greatly benefit using." By showing ONE case of terrain ED shouldnt use, proves, shows, and means noting at all. NMS isnt trying to have every planet be realistic. But that doesnt mean there arent planets that are realistic and do things ED should.

I repeat "And i didnt say all, i said some. ED should not just copy NMS. But there are some thingsthe NMS generator does ED could greatly benefit using." By showing ONE case of terrain ED shouldnt use, proves, shows, and means noting at all. NMS isnt trying to have every planet be realistic. But that doesnt mean there arent planets that are realistic and do things ED should.
    I do think there is much ED could benefit from by following NMS - for example the planetary scanner that identifies and leads you directly to annotated resources.

I also like their flora and fauna generation. Whether it's realistic is moot, as it's fun.

...Yeah, not so much...
    Excluding the floating rock, what part of that would you object to?

Creating "realistic" planets isn't why HG won the award. Their masterful usage of procedural generation to intermix a plethora of assets to create extremely varied yet interesting vistas and environments is why they won. And yes, this is something that Frontier could learn from them. Elite's planets are very basic and bland when compared to the worlds in NMS with respect to the amount of elements their engines mix procedurally to create the worlds. Planets in Elite are for the most part one color with (sometimes) a few other colors gradiated about the terrain due to heightmap variations, and the Cobra Engine isn't really mixing much of anything else at this time. Mathematically Elite's worlds are not very complex, even the worlds in Space Engine use procedural generation better than Elite does, creating a lot of variety in material color, makeup, and terrain for planet surfaces. NMS on the other hand mixes a very large multitude of assets, objects, and colored materials, including liquids, flora, and even animals, while also creating 3D terrain with deformations in all axis, not just height like Elite uses. It's one of the best examples of the power of procedural generation in video games today, and even though the game itself fell short of the promises, the tech behind it is still super fracking impressive.

Hello Games deserved to win, despite all of the drama they created around their game.

I have seen numerous planets that would fit within the ED game. Some planets are quite sinister in their appearance, lifeless planets with deep valleys, caves, dead lakes etc. It makes the NMS planets very explorable.
    Colour palette could change and the whole look of many planets would easily fit into many sci-fi games.

There are some nice filters to use in NMS, the look of a planet can be changed completely with these simple filters.

I would imagine the look of the game would be easier to make basic looking, to fit ED. Than the complicated process they had to make NMS planets fit the art style they wanted for the game. Which it does, exceptionally well..

Originally Posted by Mengy View Post (Source)
    Creating "realistic" planets isn't why HG won the award. Their masterful usage of procedural generation to intermix a plethora of assets to create extremely varied yet interesting vistas and environments is why they won.
    That makes more sense indeed.

Originally Posted by sleutelbos View Post (Source)
    That makes more sense indeed.
    Given the Elite franchise’s heritage and groundbreaking use of procedural generation over the years, I wish that Elite Dangerous used it better. I wish there was more station variety, using asset blocks to create a wider variety of stations and outposts and surface bases. I wish there was more procedural variety in planet generation, with material colors, crater ejecta blankets, terrain features. I wish the mega ships weren’t static models but procedurally generated from mega ship blocks creating a huge variety of them commonly found amongst the bubble. I wish stellar systems possessed a much wider variety of layouts and asset combinations, currently so many systems are so very similar, there just isn’t a lot of wonder in the Elite Dangerous galaxy.

This could all be accomplished with more robust use of procedural generation, and this is why Hello Games won the award, because they managed all of this in spades. NMS is full of that procedurally generated wonder which Elite lacks somewhat. The game mechanics themselves for NMS might be less than anticipated, but the procedural nature of the game is nothing short of incredible and awesome. And, to be fair, HG has done a rather great job of supporting the game post release, with some pretty good updates that are in the right direction to addressing the shortcomings. If they keep progressing like this then in time NMS will be a terribly impressive and fun overall package.

Originally Posted by Mengy View Post (Source)
    Given the Elite franchise’s heritage and groundbreaking use of procedural generation over the years, I wish that Elite Dangerous used it better. I wish there was more station variety, using asset blocks to create a wider variety of stations and outposts and surface bases. I wish there was more procedural variety in planet generation, with material colors, crater ejecta blankets, terrain features. I wish the mega ships weren’t static models but procedurally generated from mega ship blocks creating a huge variety of them commonly found amongst the bubble. I wish stellar systems possessed a much wider variety of layouts and asset combinations, currently so many systems are so very similar, there just isn’t a lot of wonder in the Elite Dangerous galaxy.

This could all be accomplished with more robust use of procedural generation, and this is why Hello Games won the award, because they managed all of this in spades. NMS is full of that procedurally generated wonder which Elite lacks somewhat. The game mechanics themselves for NMS might be less than anticipated, but the procedural nature of the game is nothing short of incredible and awesome. And, to be fair, HG has done a rather great job of supporting the game post release, with some pretty good updates that are in the right direction to addressing the shortcomings. If they keep progressing like this then in time NMS will be a terribly impressive and fun overall package.
    Well, not entirely too sure about that. The problem for me is that none of the ships in NMS are interesting, and none of the planets are. Its interesting in a 'the tech works' kinda way, but it doesnt look like space, or spaceships. It looks like 'alternate earths' and 'legoblocks'. Its very hard for me to see if that is because of the tech or because of the artstyle, but even the blandest ED planets are more interesting to me because they actually look like what you'd expect NASA to show us.

Beyond that: they are indeed supporting the game, and if they keep it up I am pretty sure I'll re-purchase at some point. Which can only be a good thing.

Page 319 of 335 FirstFirst ... 309315316317318319320321322323329 ... LastLast