Page 324 of 324 FirstFirst ... 314320321322323324
Results 4,846 to 4,860 of 4860

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: The No Man's Sky Thread

Originally Posted by Steve50 View Post (Source)
    People still play this garbage?

I was really REALLY looking forward to this game but my god, this was the biggest utter gaming fail since Psyclapse & Bandersnatch!

Like a complete buffoon I preordered it (never going to preorder another game, this taught me a lesson) and to this day I have 22 hours on it and 10+ hours of that was me restarting it over and over during the first week, trying to get a playable framerate.

22 hrs in what? 9 months or so?

Meanwhile I have 2,800+ hours on ED.
    When I first played it I thought it was a very chill game, and I was ok with it as it was, but you're right there weren't many hours of content. Since the updates it has evolved into a much better game. I play permadeath a few times a week, try to move the ball forward without losing everything. Once you get to a certain point it's easy to hold on, but I died stupidly while building a base and had to start over recently, and at the very beginning it's a fight for survival.

If you own the game, there's no reason not to check it out again. You'll put in at least another 20, right? Then it's edging closer to $1 per hour which isn't Awful. If you enjoy permadeath you'll get way more than 20 hours out of it.

Try not to compare it to Elite. I don't think Elite has competitors, it's too vast. But NMS can be a fun, short diversion that doesn't demand too much from you.

I was also disappointed with it when it first came out (I pre-ordered due to the hype - silly - never again). But the updates have been good and I now use it occasionally as a 15-20 minute filler game. In survival mode those initial minutes trying to get to your ship is quite fun.

Yeah, it's a shame the best game play overall is in that initial 'Survival' mode. Hopefully they can extend that to the rest of the game with more content and improved game loops and systems.

This thread on reddit might be useful for those looking to get the best performance out of the game as they can:

https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTh...02&sh=001bf571

There has been a big boost to current players after that steam sale so that info might help these new comers.

Originally Posted by Zak Gordon View Post (Source)
    Yeah, it's a shame the best game play overall is in that initial 'Survival' mode. Hopefully they can extend that to the rest of the game with more content and improved game loops and systems.

This thread on reddit might be useful for those looking to get the best performance out of the game as they can:

https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTh...02&sh=001bf571

There has been a big boost to current players after that steam sale so that info might help these new comers.
    I brought it in the last steam sale, as I thought the base building / survival mode would be OK somewhat 'casual' entertainment... But it horrible in display saving setting so I got a refund... I have a decent system! 7i 980ti and 16 G of ram.

played some NMS again (I just didn't know what to do with my time ) and tried out the permadeath mode. Wasn't there when I last played and theres seems to be quite a lot being added. Its probably the best mode to play the game for me as I find the whole starting from scrath part pretty good while I think it gets a bit boring after I got some good gear and stuff.

Was nice, alltough it also reminded me that I don't like the spacecombat gameplay, thats where I died pretty quick after fixing the ship and going to space
    My Adventure of being stranded on Planet Wilson: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showth...eed-Ship-Rats!

I'm too busy to play an ARG (especially when my 'play' time is for actual gaming on PC), but this seems an interesting aspect of the Waking Titan ARG that is connected to No Man's Sky:

https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTh...ld_it_be_that/

Could HG be using the ARG to communicate with the players? Or are people perhaps reading too much into it?

I'm too busy to play an ARG (especially when my 'play' time is for actual gaming on PC), but this seems an interesting aspect of the Waking Titan ARG that is connected to No Man's Sky:

Could HG be using the ARG to communicate with the players? Or are people perhaps reading too much into it?
    Very interesting. At least there is some logic.

Potential update incoming in August or just after, 'news' from that Waking Titan ARG:

https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTh...ed_for_august/

Originally Posted by Steve50 View Post (Source)
    People still play this garbage?

I was really REALLY looking forward to this game but my god, this was the biggest utter gaming fail since Psyclapse & Bandersnatch!

Like a complete buffoon I preordered it (never going to preorder another game, this taught me a lesson) and to this day I have 22 hours on it and 10+ hours of that was me restarting it over and over during the first week, trying to get a playable framerate.

22 hrs in what? 9 months or so?

Meanwhile I have 2,800+ hours on ED.
    World record attempt at hyperbole??

I too have more hous on Elite, but a LOT of those hours I was on these forums, or other forums or doing other stuff, whereas every second in NMS I was actually playing a game...shock.
    CMDR ROBBO6 : Sidewinder "Journey's Dawn", Cobra MkIII "Charon's Tribute", Vulture "Mjölnir", Asp Explorer "Iridium", Python "Dragon's Wrath".
    Competent : Merchant : ELITE
    Carved upon my stone, My body lie but still I roam

What is "ARG"?
    CMDR ROBBO6 : Sidewinder "Journey's Dawn", Cobra MkIII "Charon's Tribute", Vulture "Mjölnir", Asp Explorer "Iridium", Python "Dragon's Wrath".

Originally Posted by Leper Messiah View Post (Source)
    What is "ARG"?
    Alternate Reality Game. Essentially a game outside of the 'actual' game, using websites, interactive media and whatnot for player participation - usually as a marketing tool to build hype for the real product being sold. Basically involving seemingly unrelated puzzles that hint at what is to come. Think all of the buildup to the film 'Cloverfield', the stuff going on around the TV series 'Lost', or 'ARMA III's' or 'Halo 2's' reveals. Somewhat similar to Elite's embedding of audio clues and codes in-game, just the other way around.

Can be a lot of fun in the right frame of mind.

Originally Posted by Lobstris View Post (Source)
    Alternate Reality Game. [...] the stuff going on around the TV series 'Lost' [...]
    Oh man, the Lost Experience was amazing. One of the first and IMO best attempts at this sort of thing despite the limitations of relatively early Web 2.0. I must have wasted hours poring over forums and digging through website source code (some of which actually contained clues, so the creators knew people would do this) trying to piece together this puzzle. And I actually travelled 20 miles to my nearest Forbidden Planet to get those damned chocolate bars. Me, a guy who considers marketeer only one step removed from assassin when it comes to ethical job choices, actually spent my own money to go somewhere and ultimately help to promote a TV show. A belated round of applause to all concerned for that one. It was genius.

Apologies for the OT, but I'd forgotten just how good that whole ARG was until you reminded me.

Asus Sabertooth Z87 | i7-4770K 4.3GHz H100i OC | 16GB Corsair Vengeance PC12800 | GeForce GTX 780Ti 3GB | Realtek ALC1150

Originally Posted by Lobstris View Post (Source)
    Alternate Reality Game. Essentially a game outside of the 'actual' game, using websites, interactive media and whatnot for player participation - usually as a marketing tool to build hype for the real product being sold. Basically involving seemingly unrelated puzzles that hint at what is to come. Think all of the buildup to the film 'Cloverfield', the stuff going on around the TV series 'Lost', or 'ARMA III's' or 'Halo 2's' reveals. Somewhat similar to Elite's embedding of audio clues and codes in-game, just the other way around.

Can be a lot of fun in the right frame of mind.
    I see, thanks for the info.

Originally Posted by Jack Schitt View Post (Source)
    Oh man, the Lost Experience was amazing. One of the first and IMO best attempts at this sort of thing despite the limitations of relatively early Web 2.0. I must have wasted hours poring over forums and digging through website source code (some of which actually contained clues, so the creators knew people would do this) trying to piece together this puzzle. And I actually travelled 20 miles to my nearest Forbidden Planet to get those damned chocolate bars. Me, a guy who considers marketeer only one step removed from assassin when it comes to ethical job choices, actually spent my own money to go somewhere and ultimately help to promote a TV show. A belated round of applause to all concerned for that one. It was genius.

Apologies for the OT, but I'd forgotten just how good that whole ARG was until you reminded me.
    They really are one of the best marketing tools around, but no one as yet solve the barrier to entry that surrounds them, which is gigantic.

Page 324 of 324 FirstFirst ... 314320321322323324