Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 152122232425262728 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling." The Frame Shift Drive

Too much hyperspace, not enough FSD?

Originally Posted by bullfrog View Post (Source)
    Making a getaway you could flee through the deactivated predeployed net and then drop out of FSD and activate the net once you are on the far side of it, then activate FSD again and run away.
    I looove this!

FSD sounds so much fun I now wonder if the ease of using hyperspace is too great. For gameplay do we need more to keep people in FSD?
    Cmdr Telumehtar's log / i7-4790 @ 3.6GHz / 16GB RAM / NVidia GTX 970 / X52 Pro / Oculus Rift CV1

A big thumbs up to the team about the whole proposal - midnight oil has definitely been burned.

The bit about the nets to pull people out of super cruise was the only part that made me think 'meh'. With the vastness of space, what's the chances of someone actually passing by near enough to be pulled out of super cruise? I haven't full read every single post, so perhaps there are details I have missed.

But regardless, the proposal sounds great overall.

Originally Posted by Morpheus View Post (Source)
    A big thumbs up to the team about the whole proposal - midnight oil has definitely been burned.

The bit about the nets to pull people out of super cruise was the only part that made me think 'meh'. With the vastness of space, what's the chances of someone actually passing by near enough to be pulled out of super cruise? I haven't full read every single post, so perhaps there are details I have missed.

But regardless, the proposal sounds great overall.
    I don't recall a reference to nets, but maybe it could be interesting if the 'nets' were electromagnetic ...?

'net' behaves like gravity well

Originally Posted by matthewdbenson View Post (Source)
    I don't recall a reference to nets, but maybe it could be interesting if the 'nets' were electromagnetic ...?
    Originally Posted by Proposal
    Some consumable devices can be deployed by vessels and structures that create a “net” capable of dragging super-cruise vessels down to conventional drive speed if they get too close
    I wasn't that sure about this mechanic myself, but I think it's just the word 'net' that causes problems for me. It conjures up images of a two-dimensional cobwebby type thing catching ships like flies, making me think there's a potential it could look/feel a bit naff. I think my brain is hard-wired to see the inverse square law come into effect with things like this

Maybe it would be good if the net essentially mimicked a gravity well. It could depend on your ship-mass and how close you are to the centre what effect the net would have. If you skim the outer ranges of the device, you may get away with it (especially in bigger ships) and would just experience a slingshot type deflection... Hitting the 'well' straight on would immediately pull you out of super-cruise/hyperspace.

Originally Posted by Slawkenbergius View Post (Source)
    Maybe it would be good if the net essentially mimicked a gravity well. It could depend on your ship-mass and how close you are to the centre what effect the net would have. If you skim the outer ranges of the device, you may get away with it (especially in bigger ships) and would just experience a slingshot type deflection... Hitting the 'well' straight on would immediately pull you out of super-cruise/hyperspace.
    Sounds good, the bigger the well, the greater the power drain and fuel required to maintain it, but the more dramatic the effect could be on smaller ships, doing a similar kind of damage as a misaligned microjump into the path of a large celestial body.

Catching the biggest ships this way would be quite a big undertaking. This gives people a need to cooperate, but also gives the reasons to advance in to bigger ships.

Maybe it would be good if the net essentially mimicked a gravity well.
    I like this idea.

If gravity waves were visible, explorers with good kit might be able to see traps from miles off. Which is not to say they could tell it was a trap instead of a thing for them to explore.

WOW i mean WOW..
    AMD Phenom(tm)II X6 1100T 3.30 GHz
    12.0 GB Ram
    GTX 760
    Oculus Rift
    Elite: Dangerous DDF member

I don't know, one part of me likes the idea but it feels to close to artificial gravity. I prefer it to be some wort of FSD interference field. But I do like the idea that you could spot the net if you were close enough, and it does make sense that you could given than electromagnetic waves are visible.
    Originally Posted by Mike Evans View Post (Source)
    Using a perceived idea of what a future fictional universe holds technologically to justify why a particular game mechanic is "broken" or "weird" is pointless as following that line of thought pretty much destroys everything needed to make this a game and probably isn't even doable in the first place.

Originally Posted by Björn Robčrt View Post (Source)
    I don't know, one part of me likes the idea but it feels to close to artificial gravity.
    Very good point.

Looks like the propsoal went trough the grinder intact :smilie:

After watching the capital ships video for the 100th or so time, I found this bit of the proposal quite interesting:
    Originally Posted by Proposal
    Commanders that drop out of super-cruise far from any gravity well may broadcast their location directly to known ships which can use the data as a hyperspace destination
    If players can broadcast their location, will NPCs be able to do the same? It's clear that the Sidewinders do have coordinates they are jumping to, and I'd really like to see the same mechanic used in the final game.
    Using a perceived idea of what a future fictional universe holds technologically to justify why a particular game mechanic is "broken" or "weird" is pointless as following that line of thought pretty much destroys everything needed to make this a game and probably isn't even doable in the first place.

Tremendously impressed with this new proposal.
    And some of the additional ideas being mentioned are extremely interesting too.

More fantastic work from the ED team.
    Awesome.
    Reaching out to embrace the random, reaching out to embrace whatever may come.

Commander Dave's Elite Alpha & Beta vids / Flickr Photos

Originally Posted by Björn Robčrt View Post (Source)
    ....If players can broadcast their location, will NPCs be able to do the same? .....
    FD have said that NPCs will have the same options available to them as Players do when asked questions of this nature in the past. I certainly hope they do in this case (and in as many areas as is possible) because it makes for a far more versatile and capable competition, allowing NPCs to fill the gaps where Players are not available at the time.
    Shoot For The Moon: Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars. (Of course, then your eyeballs will boil and your lungs explode from decompression. But that's what you get for being a show off).

Originally Posted by Zplintz View Post (Source)
    FD have said that NPCs will have the same options available to them as Players do when asked questions of this nature in the past. I certainly hope they do in this case (and in as many areas as is possible) because it makes for a far more versatile and capable competition, allowing NPCs to fill the gaps where Players are not available at the time.
    Thanks for the heads up!

I came to think of a concrete example of how the broadcast capability could work, and I want to check if the scenario would be possible:

Imagine that a system is suffering a blockade of sorts. Now, we know that if players hyperspace to a system they will exit near the sun (the object with the greatest mass in the system) so it makes sense for the blockade to have its circumference around the sun (using the "nets/webs" mentioned in the proposal). That way, any ships jumping to the system will have a high probability of getting caught. However, a daring pilot could run the blockade, try to evade pursuers, find some location within the system and transmit the location. This location could then be used by others as the target for a (system-to-system) hyperspace jump, effectively breaking the blockade.

So, my question is if the above scenario is viable as the proposal stands? Will we be able to transmit "hyperspace jump points" beyond the local system?

More FSD, less hyperspace

Thinking about FSD and hyperspace, and also sound design.

Getting into hyperspace could be a bit of an effort for the ship. The Millennium Falcon found it difficult for example. Perhaps you might need to reach a certain FSD speed for a given jump.

Hyperspace disruptors might enable pursuers to increase the required FSD speed. This would enable long chases in FSD mode with some tension: will I escape in time? Will I catch my prey in time?

Old ships might get very bumpy and rattly at high FSD speeds. Fancy new ships might be very smooth.
    Cmdr Telumehtar's log / i7-4790 @ 3.6GHz / 16GB RAM / NVidia GTX 970 / X52 Pro / Oculus Rift CV1

Originally Posted by RobFisher View Post (Source)
    Thinking about FSD and hyperspace, and also sound design.

Getting into hyperspace could be a bit of an effort for the ship. The Millennium Falcon found it difficult for example. Perhaps you might need to reach a certain FSD speed for a given jump.

Hyperspace disruptors might enable pursuers to increase the required FSD speed. This would enable long chases in FSD mode with some tension: will I escape in time? Will I catch my prey in time?

Old ships might get very bumpy and rattly at high FSD speeds. Fancy new ships might be very smooth.
    I like! The "threshold" and the effects you experimence could be a function of both the state of your FSD drive and your ship. So a FSD drive operating at 50% might suddenly drop your FSD speed (or lurch you out of super-cruise) prolonging the time you need to reach hyperspace "jump" speed. It might also cause you to experience more "bumpiness" and perhaps distort other effects. A damaged hull could further increase that experience.

I really like the idea of creating suspense when engaging the FSD/hyperspace, and especially the thrill of the "chase" as it were. I remember X-wing/TIE fighter having missions where all you should do was to make a recon sweep of the enemy armada and then get out of there. Those last minutes where you flew like you had the devil on your tail, evading like crazy just to make a jump were some of my best space sim experiences.

Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 152122232425262728 LastLast