View Poll Results: GRave decisions to make. Choose the best three (in your opinion)

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1. Frank: “Accustomed to Riding in Luxury”

3 15.79%
  • 2. Dar’koba: “Centripetal Amusement” OR…

9 47.37%
  • 3. Azdour: “A Territorial Dispute”

4 21.05%
  • 4. Rog: “LAST ORDERS”

4 21.05%
  • 5. Darren Grey: “Addicted to Gravity”

4 21.05%
  • 6. Eyota Winterwalker: “Newton's Legacy.”

2 10.53%
  • 7. Ian Phillips: “Welcoming arms”

4 21.05%
  • 8. G.T “Artificial Intelligence”

2 10.53%
  • 9. W4rskull: “XL54 sucks it in”

2 10.53%
  • 10. Gibbonici: “Coming Down Home”

3 15.79%
  • 11. Psykokow: “Basics”

3 15.79%
  • 12. Philip Coutts: “I Miss Gravity....”

4 21.05%
  • 13. Insanephoton: “Faller”

3 15.79%
  • 14. Zieman: “Panic”

10 52.63%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DRABBLE POLL: Gravity

DRABBLE POLL: Gravity

With heavy heart (get it?) we have to announce a small number of entries. However, they're all worthy of your consideration, so choose the three darabbles that weigh mostly on your conscience.

Originally Posted by Darkoba View Post (Source)
    With heavy heart (get it?) we have to announce a small number of entries. However, they're all worthy of your consideration, so choose the three darabbles that weigh mostly on your conscience.
    Sorry just didnt get round to it this time, but looking forward to reading and voting

1. Frank: “Accustomed to Riding in Luxury”

The Cleopatra was never designed for diplomatic missions. Its conference room was now a makeshift banqueting hall. Milo, trussed up in regalia, eyed the ambassadors. They were trained in etiquette, passing the gravy down the line, each making sure they got themselves a healthy dollop. It made its way around to the commander.

Milo picked the gravy boat off its plate to douse his potatoes but it was lighter than he expected. Black gravy splashed all over his best uniform. He glowered at his guests.

One foreign diplomat pointed at the plate smirking "Did you forget about the gravy tray?"

2. Dar’koba: “Centripetal Amusement”

Frank felt his guts lurch. His ears sent strange signals about his balance to his brain. He suddenly felt he was in a rapidly descending lift. His glass seemed to glide away across the bar. He grabbed it with one hand, his bar-stool with the other, and took a swig before he lost the liquid from the glass.

Amused, he watched cadets, newbies and tourists starting to drift about, some bewildered, most panicking.

"Announcement: Station spin is being resumed: Normal situation imminent."

Even more amused, Frank grinned as people, even sober ones, fell to the floor.

"Sven? Another Janx, please."

3. Azdour: “A Territorial Dispute”

The novice explorer, in his barely working ship, was keen to claim the new planet beneath him.

Banging on the scanner screen brought it back online to reveal the huge profit potential of this world.

He imagined the credits rolling in as he chose a suitable spot and landed.

Once outside he swiftly planted his home-made flag, declaring that this world was his.

It was only when his personal scanner picked up the Imperial legion heading his way and a message rejecting his claim, that the gravity of his situation became clear.

He had just claimed the Imperial home world...

4. Rog: “LAST ORDERS”

Gravity.

Architect of those subtle spacetime dimples that stardrives reached for across interstellar distances; tunnelling through, ignoring reality. Schoolkid stuff. You took it for granted when you'd been exploring the edges long enough.

He finished another beerpouch. 'Hah!', specific gravity he could still appreciate!

The nonspecific stuff was currently problematic though. Total drive failure in the middle of an H2 fuelskim? Bad. Comms blanked because of the gas giant's EM howling? Worse.

Bad choice there; not his first, likely his last.

How long before orbital drag resulted in the crushing inevitable? Soon.

Ah well... Time for just... one more then.

5. Darren Grey: “Addicted to Gravity”

I used to be happy piloting my ship, doing daring manoeuvres through asteroid belts. Then someone introduced me to slingshots during supercruise, and I've been hooked ever since.

It started with planets, gas giants, brown dwarves. Light stuff! But I soon moved to heavier and heavier hits.

A red giant isn't enough anymore. I need the thrill of a binary feeder on the edge of going supernova. I want to rush round a neutron star, outpacing its x-ray pulses.

For my next hit I'm tapping the real heavy stuff: triple black hole cluster. Mmm, yeah...

Gravity... I've fallen for you.

6. Eyota Winterwalker: “Newton's Legacy.”

Eilah allowed the AI selection, approved its target, and tactical entry draws streamed electric greens from the eyes up tactical read in. Approach vectoring helixed, her craft locking in on it's landing rotation.

Creeping on approach, she zoomed out in her mind, from beacon, Aster'oids, planet high, low on moon, closing dock. Station.

Following an age of no G. Ram refueled in a join the dots of jumps from clear across a known galaxy. Without rest, a message here to deliver.

Docking clunked and the ship dropped inertials. Eilah rose to enter pass control .. but collapsed. Unused, to Gravity.

7. Ian Phillips: “Welcoming arms”

Gravity shapes us.

We leave a planet behind only to scurry into the surrogate arms of our mother, in the form of Coriolis stations.

Spacers leave, glorying in the freedom of floating around their ships, using sunken handholds in the walls to pull themselves around whilst their bodies fail as arteries weaken, muscles atrophy and bone density reduces.

When returning home they speak of ‘drinking of the well’s waters’, an obscure reference to an ancient health practice. They require health resorts that cater to them with water to support their unaccustomed weight, whilst gravity massages their bodies back to health.

8. G.T “Artificial Intelligence”

Cmdr Stryder was having a bad day. His autopilot was being, well, shirty at the very least since they had a tiff early that morning. It all started when he came out of supercruise at the wrong planet.

“I did say to navigate to Janus 2136545, not to Janus 213659”

“Negative Sir, you were quiet clear. Janus 213659”

“I know what I said”

“Obviously not Sir”

“Don’t get lippy…and why is it getting cold in here?”

“It’s not THAT cold…you’re imagining it”

“How dare you, you do what I tell you – bloody Artificial Intelligence”

“Calm down. Grrrr. ‘ave a tea.”

9. W4rskull: “XL54 sucks it in”

This could only end in disaster for everybody on the station.
    Imperial ships had surprised the Federation fleet in the system and launched suicide attacks on installations.
    An out of control Imperial Python had crashed, and sent the military station towards the planet, and also destroyed all gravity stabilizers.
    It was now caught in the gas giant XL54s embrace and the planet slowly disintegrated it.
    Mira had stopped her Gecko in the chaos, and watched the dying hulk spewing out gas, debris and people.
    It was like a movie unfolding in front of her. Gravity would surely win this fight.

10. Gibbonici: “Coming Down Home”

The cloud layer is thick and choppy, and we shake in our G-seats as the ship battles through turbulent airstreams.

"Mach three. Opening drag vents." I barely hear Isvar's words over the clattering roar.

"Mach two." I grit my teeth against their rattling.

"Mach one." We burst through the cloud and the roaring turns to a pacified mewl.

Isvar lands us at home.
    I stand up. Bones settle into sockets. Guts ease into place. I sigh with the long-awaited relief of it.

Gravity; it brings us home and makes us human again. If spacers have a god, it is this.

11. Psykokow: “Basics”

The Alarm rang loudly through the whole ship. Orange flashes of light dotted the cockpit.
    'Bloody hell, what's going on?'
    'We're experiencing a strong gravitational pull'
    'Out here? But how?'
    The ship lurched and rumbled violently..
    'Get thrusters to full'
    'Im trying... its not doing anything... crap!'
    'Oh my god, we're going to die.... it must be a black hole'
    'We just need to break free of the pull before its too late'
    'I don't want to die...'
    'Divert all power to the engines'
    'It's still not working.. we're not moving'
    'Oh hold on, I left the handbrake on.. there!!'

12. Philip Coutts: “I Miss Gravity....”

Gravity, the most powerful yet overlooked force in nature, how I miss it. I hate this endless floating, life without substance and weight isn’t natural.

Just a minor repair on the outside of the craft the Captain said. I’d donned the spacesuit and tested the umbilical cord before floating into space towards the misfiring booster.

The attack was swift and brutal, a stray shot smashed my lifeline cutting me adrift leaving me to watch as the pirates pillaged the wreckage.

The icy cold hand of death has finally gripped me, I gasp my final breath.

I hate this endless floating…..

13. Insanephoton: “Faller”

“You think gravity is strong? Try this experiment, take a watermelon to the roof and drop it. See what happens when gravity meets weak nuclear force.“

I remember the words of my old physics teacher. The truth that he was trying to get across, is that of all the fundamental forces, gravity is the weakest.

It's a thing that most of us planet dwellers take for granted. We instinctively know the result without having to try it. Unfortunately some spacers learn it too late, the hard way. The shattered corpse proves the result is the same every time. Very messy.

14. Zieman: “Panic”

Captain Ximmer woke up, half encased in some soft material. He tried to move, but found out he was aching everywhere and could not roll out of the cocoon. He tried to shout, but that came out as a weak croak: ”Vatanen! Why can't I move? What did they put in my drinks last night?” Breathing laboriously, he felt a hint of panic rising.

”It's gravity, sir. Since our Generation Ship Mark Thirteen hasn't been rotating for sixty standard years, we seem to have some trouble accustoming to it. We made planetfall yesterday, our journey finally at end, you remember?”

How could I resist giving a vote to a Drabble I star in <grin>. It is amazing how quickly your instincts kick in when a drink is put in jeopardy. There's a bloke I know in a pub a long time ago who fell off his barstool. He was lying on the ground but he was still holding his pint. He never spilled a drop.

Apologies from me too; busy travelling around this planet at the moment.

All i can post for this week are regrets as well i'm afraid. Things are hectic at the moment and my brain is pretty much turning to mush (as those playing my Scavenger Hunt will testify lol!) Next week should be different, going away for work so will have a couple of nights on my own to recharge

Voted for this weeks excellent selection, good luck everyone!

Tannoy outside the polling station yelling "It's YOUR votes that count!"

There are 14 contestants and 14 votes. I hope there aren't any people out there who don't think their votes are welcome.

Feel free to vote! Vote for the best Drabble. Or if you prefer, vote for some of the not-so-good Drabbles that may contain awful puns. I'm sure the less deserving Drabblers, whoever they may be, would appreciate some sympathy votes.

Well at least on of the voters hasn't got a drabble up , since I haven't voted yet. It's such a heavy choice, I could maintain the status quo or bring Darkoba level or enhance Zieman's lead. I'll have to see which way I'm drawn.

Originally Posted by insanephoton View Post (Source)
    Well at least on of the voters hasn't got a drabble up , since I haven't voted yet. It's such a heavy choice, I could maintain the status quo or bring Darkoba level or enhance Zieman's lead. I'll have to see which way I'm drawn.
    Well it's fairly obvious which way you should be drawn, if you want a piece of Amsterdam cake, that is

By the way, I have noticed that I can't see how the votes are going until I have actually voted, but apparently, judging by some comments, eg. Insanephoton's remark, it is possible to see what is happening with the votes BEFORE placing your own votes. Am I missing something or am I just sweet, innocent and naive?

At the bottom right of the poll, you should see the words ' View Poll Results ' , click on that and all is revealed. Unless you've already voted.

At the bottom right of the poll, you should see the words ' View Poll Results ' , click on that and all is revealed. Unless you've already voted.

One of these days I'll learn to look at ALL the details in front of my face.

If I'm going to vote on a poll, I ignore this possibility, I don't want others' choices affecting my decision making.

Not long to go, and with only one vote separating the leaders...

What?!?
    Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 19. This poll is closed
    I win!?!
    Can't believe this could happen! Oh well, even the most unlikely events tend to happen sooner or later.

Next topic:

Navigation

Woo! Well done, Zieman, was a great drabble

Commiserations to Darkoba for a bloody close second!

Ooh, and nice theme choice there - time to get my drabblin' hat on

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast