Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 25678912 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: So, about 2.4...

Originally Posted by Ian Phillips View Post (Source)
    It's relative

As is everything.

You'd have better luck asking a politician to tell the truth than asking Frontier for details.

Whatever happens will be what happens. Until then, all we can do is wait for the beta and whatever details are fed to us from there.

Originally Posted by IndigoWyrd View Post (Source)
    . Until then, all we can do is wait for the beta
    Do you think there will be a beta?

Or will it be a beta with all thargoidy stuff removed?

Originally Posted by c00ky1970 View Post (Source)
    Do you think there will be a beta?

Or will it be a beta with all thargoidy stuff removed?
    Pretty sure there will be. There will be other stuff coming out other then thargoids that will need testing.

Originally Posted by amadeus1171 View Post (Source)
    Devs, it's time to start giving more details about 2.4. What can we expect?
    We talked about what's coming to 2.4 with Lavecon communications and the newsletters that followed after this, and in Zac’s post here.

The difference with 2.4 is that we're heavily focusing on the continuation of the narrative of the Thargoids and the emerging stories surrounding them. We've started to see the threads being discovered by the community in the past couple of months and 2.4 will be largely about pulling on those threads and unravelling more of the story behind them. The way that the update will be delivered won't be like any other we've done and will focus on narrative – a narrative that we certainly don’t want to spoil. For that reason, it may appear as if there’s a lack of new information about 2.4… we’ll keep things going with sneak peeks here and there, but we really want you to discover 2.4’s big secrets for yourselves.

Aside from the major update and the focus on narrative, there will obviously be improvements, bug fixes, and balancing changes to various aspects also. These will be included as part of the patch notes as usual.

Originally Posted by Dale Emasiri View Post (Source)
    We talked about what's coming to 2.4 with Lavecon communications and the newsletters that followed after this, and in Zac’s post here.

The difference with 2.4 is that we're heavily focusing on the continuation of the narrative of the Thargoids and the emerging stories surrounding them. We've started to see the threads being discovered by the community in the past couple of months and 2.4 will be largely about pulling on those threads and unravelling more of the story behind them. The way that the update will be delivered won't be like any other we've done and will focus on narrative – a narrative that we certainly don’t want to spoil. For that reason, it may appear as if there’s a lack of new information about 2.4… we’ll keep things going with sneak peeks here and there, but we really want you to discover 2.4’s big secrets for yourselves.

Aside from the major update and the focus on narrative, there will obviously be improvements, bug fixes, and balancing changes to various aspects also. These will be included as part of the patch notes as usual.
    Thanks for your patience with this salt. I guess everyone who said we'll never get a response from FDev has to eat crow now. I wish you could add that to your post, but that would be unprofessional, that's why I'm saying it.

It will be refreshing to get an update with stuff I'll actually use.

So I went back to look, just in case I'd forgotten something:
    Originally Posted by Zac Antonaci View Post (Source)
    Greetings Commanders,

It’s a very exciting time to be part of the Elite Dangerous galaxy. On June 27 we will welcome even more Commanders to the galaxy with the PlayStation 4 launch. These new players will join the ranks of our already incredibly active, passionate and dedicated community.

Since the launch of Elite Dangerous: The Commanders a number of weeks ago, we’ve received messages from members of the community eagerly awaiting details about the 2.4 update and the future of the game. I’m pleased to be able to share with you a little more detail on what’s to come in the short term and slightly longer term with Elite Dangerous.

The first thing I’d like to share with you is that we will be adding another point update on June 27, this will be for all platforms and will include a number of bug fixes, and stability and networking improvements. This includes the much-requested Anaconda cockpit appearance change and will also introduce greater security for multicrew hosts to be able to disable or limit crew members’ specific activity.

One large element of this point update is a number of “under the hood” fixes which are designed to improve stability and performance, particularly on planet surfaces. This means that we will be looking to run a beta for 2.3.10. However, we do understand that with this being a point update with a number of less visible improvements, it won’t have as many new features to play test. Nonetheless, this testing is very important to make sure the game works as we would expect. Due to the wider and more global nature of this small point update, we will be making the beta open for all and we would welcome your support in joining and spending a few hours playing and helping to ensure the update is as good and stable as it can be.

We’ll have more details on the beta, and exactly how it will work shortly.

2.4 – “????”

Back at EGX in 2015 we showcased the headline features that would be coming to Horizons. However, there’s always been an extra little update, a mystery if you will, that has yet to be revealed.

We’ll be providing a little more information about the update to the community and the press during E3 on June 12th and 13th. We’ll be hosting special community livestreams and activity so stay tuned for more news and updates as we get closer to the date.

I can, however, tell you that this update will be slightly different to previous ones - content will be revealed over time rather than all being available on day one. Additional pieces of exciting content will surface over the coming months as the narrative progresses.

Beyond

So with the Horizon season of expansions coming to a close, what is beyond 2.4 I hear you ask? Well, it certainly isn’t the end of this amazing journey… we’re only just getting started!

Our awesome dev team are dedicated to continuing to build and improve the Elite Dangerous experience with an exciting long term vision in mind. We’re happy to be able to confirm that the next major updates following 2.4 will focus on core gameplay, existing features, quality of life and other improvements! We’re delighted to be investing a considerable amount of development and effort into making the core gameplay experience even better for our fantastic community or players.

We’ll be sharing more news on that content and our roadmap at a very special event coming later in the year - more details on this event will be released in the weeks after E3.

On behalf of the entire Elite Dangerous team, thank you for your continued support. We are very excited to embark on the next part of the journey together as we continue to make Elite Dangerous an even more fantastic game and experience for our incredible community of players.
    I hadn't. But the part that concerns me is:

Originally Posted by Zac Antonaci View Post (Source)
    I can, however, tell you that this update will be slightly different to previous ones - content will be revealed over time rather than all being available on day one. Additional pieces of exciting content will surface over the coming months as the narrative progresses.
    This sounds like it will go like this:

2.4.0 - The Placeholder
    2.4.1 - The New Title Screen
    2.4.2 - The New Cut Scene
    2.4.3 - The New Strange Coded Messages
    2.4.4 - The New Locations Revealed in The New Strange Coded Messages
    2.4.5 - The Actual Content to go with 2.4.4
    2.4.6 - The New Weapons
    2.4.7 - The New Weapons Engineers
    2.4.8 - The New Materials for the New Weapons Engineers
    2.4.9 - We Finally Get To Use Them

Each with a few weeks between them... it sounds painful, like it would be worth taking a half-year vacation and coming back to see if we've reached 2.4.5 yet or not. I could be totally wrong, and things could flow much nicer, smoother and I could be worried about nothing at all - but this really seems like new, uncharted territory, and given the history of releases so far, I don't feel it unwarranted. Of course, as I said, I could be proven totally wrong - I hope I'm proven totally wrong, that would be great.

I think it's these other improvements and fixes, aside from the story elements, that a great many of us are very interested in learning more about. Currently, we don't know anything that is coming with 2.4 except for Thargoid story stuff (and hull repair limpets), which obviously can't be talked about in detail.

Please god no more coded mesaage 'mysteries'.

Originally Posted by amadeus1171 View Post (Source)
    Devs, it's time to start giving more details about 2.4. What can we expect?
    Another one of these threads is it, the reveals will come when Fdev are ready...what you want is irrelevant

Originally Posted by Monoceros View Post (Source)
    Another one of these threads is it, the reveals will come when Fdev are ready...what you want is irrelevant
    Yeah ok, we don't need to know about the story right now, that's cool. We get the "No spoil" thing, that's a good idea. Even if I feel like it'll be 6other months dedicated to 2.4.
    But we just want to know what is to be changed/fixed/balanced. They don't have to be ready to tell us that.

Originally Posted by Mengy View Post (Source)
    I think it's these other improvements and fixes, aside from the story elements, that a great many of us are very interested in learning more about. Currently, we don't know anything that is coming with 2.4 except for Thargoid story stuff (and hull repair limpets), which obviously can't be talked about in detail.
    This ^

It's like being promised a stocking full of Christmas presents only to find just a Satsuma and a few Hazlenuts in there and then realise Santa still ate the mince pie and whisky you left.

Originally Posted by verminstar View Post (Source)
    even though Ive been gaming a long time and was very much around in the good ol days of 84, I was never a fan of frontier games. Never played their earlier games, just dabbled here and there but nothing serious. So while others who love them speak from their experience of frontier, thats not something I have.
    they did this very much undervalued little gem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbENFcmurbo
    (i actually knew it as 'virus' on the atari st ... with proper sound )

if you ask me that's a fairly more impressive technical achievement than elite 84, even considering the different context and time (about 3 years difference). in color and solid shading, it had no parallel whatsoever at its time re fluid, realtime 3d action and flight dynamics, in any game of any platform. highly addictive stuff

i didn't even play the original elite, i was busy with this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZxMQJFwM1U

i'm a big fan of elite:dangerous, but value it more for its similarities to zarch than to the original elite.

oh, and frontier? well, they're a bit odd at times but just let's let them do their thing. what we have so far is really, really, i mean really good stuff, despite any problems. i'm fine if they just keep going.

Originally Posted by Enderby View Post (Source)
    Please god no more coded mesaage 'mysteries'.

Both Puzzle/Maths Nuts or Astrophysicists will be need to find figure this "mystery" out and it will have to be done outside of the game. The only other way is to stumble across something which is just codeword for saying that its not in the game yet or the person who found it cheated by data mining.

Those are our only choices as we dont have an in game notebook to reference let alone the tools needed to do the job. You cant play this game in VR and try to figure out these mysteries just because none of the tools needed to the job are not included within the game. A simple ingame browser window would fix all this.

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 25678912 ... LastLast