Thread: Space Trucking Companion - Powershell script shows best trades using EliteOCR CSV files

Space Trucking Companion - Powershell script shows best trades using EliteOCR CSV files

Hello folks

Shiny new update

---------------------------------------
    Version 2.0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bkt2p4c9uc...de_v2.ps1?dl=0 ( the file is publicly shared and you don't need a dropbox account to download it )

Updates
    - Trade script can now show the highest single trades between all of your stations.
    This makes it easy to work out the best route between your current stations. Script indexes 13 stations in less than a second.

.\trade_V2.ps1 all all
    or
    .\trade_V2.ps1 -sourceStation ALL -destinationStation ALL
    Attachment 10091

-It can also now show highest trades from the station you're at to all of your stations with colour coding for high, med, low margin trades
    .\trade_V2.ps1 -sourceStation 4 -destinationStation ALL
    or
    .\trade_V2.ps1 4
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.PNG 
Views:	172 
Size:	20.0 KB 
ID:	10094

----------------------------------
    v1
    Got sick of taking screenshots and then alt-tabbing like a madman then pen, paper and a calculator working out best margins on trade commodities.

So I looked around for 3rd party tools - found the online ones, but felt that was cheating the game somewhat. Plus some very simple tests showed that the data in the tools was not reliable. I had my own data, but using it was a chore!

So I started writing a simple OCR program to make CSV files from my screenshots folder using Google Tesseract.
    Got quite far writing what I wanted but, then realised EliteOCR already had done exactly that. Grabbed EliteOCR, made some local CSV files of my screenshots folder and wanted something to then do the heavy lifting for me.

Every windows PC has Powershell built-in, so I used that.
    Wrote a simple Powershell script that :
    - Reads your own local CSV files (as generated by the awesome EliteOCR)
    - Shows you a list of stations asks you to pick a source and destination
    - Works out the margins of all items that are possible to trade between the stations
    - Soon as I drop new CSV station data in to the source folder, it picks it up
    - Shows you in plain English where the profit is

I know there's lots of things out there like this, so I'm not expecting anything here. But thought I'd share it as it only took me an hour to write and it's useful. If you use it, ace

Attachment 9702

Feel free to do anything with this script - it's only a single file that you can edit in notepad.
    It's very easy to tweak if required and I think I put some comments in it as I went.

You run it from powershell like this -

To be shown a list of stations to choose from:
    C:\> .\trade.ps1 -sourcePath c:\eliteOCR\out

or to skip interaction and just show a route between 2 stations:
    C:\> .\trade.ps1 -sourceStation 1 -destinationStation 2 -sourcePath c:\eliteOCR\out

or for shorthand and using the default sourcePath (directory containing CSV files):
    C:\> .\trade.ps1 1 2

Script is here:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/9275tw772k...trade.ps1?dl=0

Keep on truckin'

CMDR Drazik (Chris)

Nice. I'll try it.

Seebek PM-ed me about your tool, missed it. I'm gonna put it in the TODO section on the OP of 3rd party tools thread. Later it will be moved to the correct section BUT the list is pretty long ;-( If you deem it worthwhile to have it very much sooner on the OP might I suggest creating an entry for it (in the same format I'm using) and post it in the thread. That way I can just copy/paste it.

Nice tool and a refreshing new idea ;-)

Wanted to check the script BUT the link supplied is not a public link. Dropbox wants me to login. Would it be possible to create a public link so I can download the script?

such a nice simple, personal solution and it lets you build up your own personal database. id love to look at the code too, same problem as wolverine upstairs^ im not a dropbox user either so cant grab it

thanks for posting Drazik

Originally Posted by Drazik View Post (Source)
    Hello folks

Got sick of taking screenshots and then alt-tabbing like a madman then pen, paper and a calculator working out best margins on trade commodities.

So I looked around for 3rd party tools - found the online ones, but felt that was cheating the game somewhat. Plus some very simple tests showed that the data in the tools was not reliable. I had my own data, but using it was a chore!
    Haven't tried it, but looks nice. Just for your info Cmdr's Log with scripts created by OldLost give now similar functionality. You may give it a try. I was also looking for tools which give OCR but only for data I gathered myself.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showth...=1#post1558606

I wish there was in game log that had this feature. Every station i visit should be noted in my notebook so i could compare prices, this is year 3300 !

Originally Posted by MarcinL View Post (Source)
    Haven't tried it, but looks nice. Just for your info Cmdr's Log with scripts created by OldLost give now similar functionality. You may give it a try. I was also looking for tools which give OCR but only for data I gathered myself.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showth...=1#post1558606
    And yet another entry for the 3rd party tools thread - TODO section for now. Note: Added.

I've just tried this, Drazik, and I bloody well like it!

I will not allow myself to use the web-based or crowd-sourced tools as I think they go against the spirit of E (it is a game after all and I'd only be 'cheating' myself!), but I would like some way of searching through my screenshots of trade data I have gathered. So, between you and EliteOCR, I have everything I want - Thank you!

*thumbs-up* from me and a high-five from the frog in my avatar!

Looks like a nifty tool... However, I can't get it to work. No matter what parameters I give it for startup, it shows the basic layout, but always 0 stations found. And, it shows an error between building station list, and station contains..

"Exception calling "Add" with "2" argument<s>: "Key cannot be null. Parameter name: key"
    At C:\EliteOCR\out\trade_v2.ps1:156 char:16
    $stations.add <<<< ($stationName,$station)
    CategoryInfo :NotSpecified: ( [], MethodInvocationException
    FullyQualifiedErrorId : DotNetMethodException"

Any ideas?

In the past your excellent tool, thread has been added to EDCodex. Before EDCodex was released on the 17th of August you have received in the period 5th - 10th of August a PM with an invitation and a special link. After registering and logging in you would automatically become owner of your entry. According to the admin tool(s) you haven't used the special link (yet). Perhaps you have missed the PM or have been (temporarily) away from ED. Its also possible you choose not to claim your entry. Note: Its also possible to assign another commander editing rights for your entry. In either case please send us a PM. You can find your EDCodex entry here.

Alternative way to get ownership
    The special link will cease to function in the (near) future, for security reasons. Should you after that point want to become owner of your entry you can use the "Claim ownership" button. In that case please send biobob or myself a PM with the email addressed you used for registration - for verification. You can also use this procedure if you no longer have the PM.

What is EDCodex:
    Its a website with a database of currently approx 215+ tools,threads,websites,videos for ED. Any one can and is encouraged to add entries there. EDCodex is and should be community-driven. EDCodex companion thread. Its equally suited for PC's, tablets and smartphones and has RSS feeds.

With kind regards,
    Biobob
    Wolverine2710