Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My new Asp - loadout and plans

My new Asp - loadout and plans

So, I finally got my Asp. I'm parked up at Jameson Memorial contemplating my loadout, and where to go off exploring. I'd really appreciate any input anyone may have on the two points below.

Loadout;
    This is purely for exploring. I know some people go without shields, but well, I don't want to! I've also heard the auto maintenance thing is useless.
    http://www.edshipyard.com/#/L=30g,0m...5U7Q44zM2jw2UI
    Can anyone see any problems there? Thought I might as well stick the 4x point defence in as they don't weigh anything. I'll power them off for most of the time. If I need to power them on I'll switch off something else (fuel scoop, maybe) temporarily.

Where to go off exploring;
    I'd love to go somewhere where no-one has been before. Unfortunately the game doesn't tell us if a system has never been explored before, so I'll have to guess. Any ideas on a direction to take? I imagine all nebulae have been done now, so I'm just going to pick a direction and go. Plan is to come back with nnough exploration data to sell to buy another ship and kit it out for combat. Not done any of that yet (well, not out of choice) since beta, and I'm pretty sick of trading for now.

Thanks in advance!
    CMDR PHAM TRINLI

I would get a A5 fuel scoop, less time you will need around a star.

If you can afford it that is.

Oh and get some heat sinks they will save you from those nasty binary system's and neutron stars.

I'm no explorer, but:

1. D3 shields are pretty skimpy on an Asp. Not sure if shields are needed at all if you're in the middle of nowhere and never getting interdicted. Check out this handy visual chart:
    http://i.imgur.com/1FL7I48.png

2. I've seen other players assert that the larger/better the power plant, the slower heat buildup occurs when fuel scooping. What I do know is that it takes _forever_ to fill up the tank of an Asp even with an A3 scoop, and you have to constantly ride that 99% heat line.

You need to upgrade your power plant a bit (and get rid of a couple of those PDs), you are using 107% and you can't turn anything off, as you'll be spending 99,9% of your time in supercruise. Also, as A Titan said, get a better Fuel scoop, even a 5D one will be twice as fast than the A3 you have, cheaper too.

Originally Posted by A Titan View Post (Source)
    I would get a A5 fuel scoop, less time you will need around a star.

If you can afford it that is.

Oh and get some heat sinks they will save you from those nasty binary system's and neutron stars.
    Looks like A3 is the best fuels scoop I can. Seems like Jameson Memorial doesn't have heat sink launchers (I thought it had everything!). Either way; they weigh 1.3T I think and I'd rather keep my range as high as possible.

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

Originally Posted by KillaALF View Post (Source)
    You need to upgrade your power plant a bit (and get rid of a couple of those PDs), you are using 107% and you can't turn anything off, as you'll be spending 99,9% of your time in supercruise. Also, as A Titan said, get a better Fuel scoop, even a 5D one will be twice as fast than the A3 you have, cheaper too.
    Ah, so fuel scoop was limited by the slot it was in. Have ditched it for an AFMU (just in case it does anything useful - it weighs nothing) and have ditched my 8T cargo rack for an A2 fuel scoop. Don't want to change power plant as need to obsessivley keep weight down. Power use seems ok (cargo scoop disabled).
    CMDR PHAM TRINLI

Originally Posted by jefc_uk View Post (Source)
    Looks like A3 is the best fuels scoop I can. Seems like Jameson Memorial doesn't have heat sink launchers (I thought it had everything!). Either way; they weigh 1.3T I think and I'd rather keep my range as high as possible.
    Go to a station where you are "allied" with the minor faction that controls the station. Many more outfitting options appear in this case. Perhaps the purple link in my sig block will be of help here too.

Find a station that has class 5 scoop and heat sinks before you leave, it will be well worth your time. The less time you have to spend around a star is less durability damage you will take, if your temperature gets above 100% your durability damage increases. Plus the heat sinks will be a life saver in those bad cases of RNG, it is not a bug when you jump into a system between two stars in binary orbit it is working as intended.

A ship blown up due to overheating doesn't have much of a jump range at all

I'm aiming for roughly this fit: http://www.edshipyard.com/#/L=30g,0Wg0Wg0Wg0Wg,2-6u6u7_6u6u8S8I,52W7TCmpV2jw2UI

Shield may not be that useful during exploration, but once you start making your way back to civilised space that shield may help if you get interdicted with your 70% ship integrity left... Could go for a 4D shield and add another half ly jump range.

Ah, so fuel scoop was limited by the slot it was in. Have ditched it for an AFMU (just in case it does anything useful - it weighs nothing) and have ditched my 8T cargo rack for an A2 fuel scoop. Don't want to change power plant as need to obsessivley keep weight down. Power use seems ok (cargo scoop disabled).
    An A2 scoop is even worse, you'll spend a lot more time scooping. You need to get rid of those cargo racks, why are you bringing them anyway? Yeah, with the cargo hatch disabled it seems to work out, you could also get an A2 power plant, less mass, a bit more power and better heat efficiency.

This is what I went with when I went exploring:
    http://www.edshipyard.com/#/L=30g,,2...KU0KU7Pc2jw2UI

It worked well - you don't have enough power for the AFMU, so leave them shut down except when you want to use them, then you can shut down whatever you need when you want to run them.

-- Pete.

Originally Posted by KillaALF View Post (Source)
    An A2 scoop is even worse, you'll spend a lot more time scooping. You need to get rid of those cargo racks, why are you bringing them anyway? Yeah, with the cargo hatch disabled it seems to work out, you could also get an A2 power plant, less mass, a bit more power and better heat efficiency.
    Left the cargos racks as the ycontribute no mass.

Have got a 6C scoop on place of the 64T rack now.

Got an A2 power plant.

Thanks!!

Originally Posted by Pete View Post (Source)
    This is what I went with when I went exploring:
    http://www.edshipyard.com/#/L=30g,,2...KU0KU7Pc2jw2UI

It worked well - you don't have enough power for the AFMU, so leave them shut down except when you want to use them, then you can shut down whatever you need when you want to run them.

-- Pete.
    Good call.

Originally Posted by Ilenya View Post (Source)
    A ship blown up due to overheating doesn't have much of a jump range at all

I'm aiming for roughly this fit: http://www.edshipyard.com/#/L=30g,0Wg0Wg0Wg0Wg,2-6u6u7_6u6u8S8I,52W7TCmpV2jw2UI

Shield may not be that useful during exploration, but once you start making your way back to civilised space that shield may help if you get interdicted with your 70% ship integrity left... Could go for a 4D shield and add another half ly jump range.
    I've never used heat sink launchers, but don;t they have limited 'ammo'? i could be away for a while.
    CMDR PHAM TRINLI

The heats sinks are for those oh crap moments, hopefully you won't have to many of those.

Originally Posted by A Titan View Post (Source)
    The heats sinks are for those oh crap moments, hopefully you won't have to many of those.
    Ok. I'm gonna get one.
    CMDR PHAM TRINLI

Ok. I'm gonna get one.
    Hope you won't need to use it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast