Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: Warning

Originally Posted by PotatoOverdose View Post (Source)
    If someone feels real suffering and distress when they lose in a game, be it WoW, or Elite, or Monopoly, then they are the ones with the problem. It is not healthy to feel psychologically distressed as the result of a videogame.

I wish no suffering or pain on anyone - I am simply playing a game within the rulesets prescribed by the mechanics of that game.
    Garbage. You know full well what you're doing. You just build false justifications for it.

Originally Posted by hanks01 View Post (Source)
    Except you're not beating someone in a game of Monopoly, you're reaching over and grabbing your opponents money then throwing the board out of the window and dancing around the room because you feel a little stressed from your grindy trade run. Just because there are some combat loggers (despicable practise I agree) you've decided to take it out on everyone? That's a pretty poor and parasitic way to behave and I'd definitely file what you're doing under exploiting the game mechanics.

Glad you used the GTA example earlier, because even that has a feedback system that puts all players with negative feedback in their own instance and keeps them away from those who want to do the actual missions without being griefed and repeatedly spawn killed, it even has the option to travel around in "safe" mode where you can't get hit or hit others.
    I am not throwing the monopoly board out of the window - the rules of this game, the mechanics of this game, allow me to shoot other players. As a result of this someone may lose credits. When someone lands on Boardwalk with a hotel on it, they lose a lot of monopoly money - that does not make winning monopoly a cruel act.

And launching a missile at another player cannot be considered an exploit.

Personally I think solo play should be removed completely. That's too much of an exploit for me. Play something else if you can't handle the danger of flying millions of credits through hostile space.
    'In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes.' - Benjamin Franklin
    Ex-Agent of Freeport Tax and Protection Services - see HERE for details. FTPS Dashcam Twitch Feeds: ZaphodBeeble - Treyshon

If someone feels real suffering and distress when they lose in a game, be it WoW, or Elite, or Monopoly, then they are the ones with the problem. It is not healthy to feel psychologically distressed as the result of a videogame.

I wish no suffering or pain on anyone - I am simply playing a game within the rulesets prescribed by the mechanics of that game.
    You still miss the point. When a cheat cheats, no matter the game, then abuse the rules of the game, use exploits and cause upset they do it to get excitement and gratification.
    When you are cold and in the dark,
    Do not despair,
    I will take your soul.

Originally Posted by Philip Coutts View Post (Source)
    You know something? Frontier actually made a video showing this very thing happening. I think it's a sidewinder that flies from the back of the station and blows up another ship on the landing pad before zooming off through the exit to be chased by 2 vipers. Seems to me that Frontier think this is a legitimate tactic in game.
    You know something. That is not at all what happens. The point defence of the ship shoots at the dumbfire missile. The Dumbfire missile has a hitbox of 0, so the point defence misses, hits the station and the station retaliates. Whether the one that shot the missile lives or dies doesn't matter, he can live, but then it is even better for him to die, because it is cheaper than a reload.

So it is the equivalent of going to a child on a beach and trampling over his sand castle that he built in the last 3 hours. (Times may vary for different ship sizes and methods of income)

I would have thought stations would take a dim view of ships being blown up inside them (other than by themselves). If firing weapons inside a stations were to not just revoke landing rights but also cause serious faction -rep for the controlling stations and/or cause that station to refuse docking rights for the criminal for some considerable real time period (hours at least) then it wouldn't be a tactic someone could use in 'lather rinse repeat' mode.

I also think bounties for this sort of behaviour need some love. A small fine/bounty for accidentally shooting the wrong thing is fine as is. The penalty for destroying ships should be higher. The penalty for destroying ships in regulated station space should be significantly higher (and possibly scaled to the value of the ship).

I read a design doc the other day via reference that suggested you had to pay bounties when you rebuy after destruction, but I'm not sure this is actually what is implemented (I'm not keep on testing myself, but..). I think it needs to be if not otherwise the suicide sidewinder missile bomber is very hard to counter (to someone with millions of creds the rebuy costs alone are no disincentive to this sort of behaviour).

Originally Posted by Graywolfe View Post (Source)
    Garbage. You know full well what you're doing. You just build false justifications for it.
    I need no justification to shoot someone in a videogame.

I am not throwing the monopoly board out of the window - the rules of this game, the mechanics of this game, allow me to shoot other players. As a result of this someone may lose credits. When someone lands on Boardwalk with a hotel on it, they lose a lot of monopoly money - that does not make winning monopoly a cruel act.

And launching a missile at another player cannot be considered an exploit.
    you still have not answered my offer of a pvp fight....same ship
    so what up here? fear to blame yourself a noob that needs to kill helpless ppl in stations because otherwise you would not kill anyone?

Originally Posted by snotface View Post (Source)
    You still miss the point. When a cheat cheats, no matter the game, then abuse the rules of the game, use exploits and cause upset they do it to get excitement and gratification.
    How is undocking, shooting someone with missiles, and my being shot and killed by the station an exploit? How is that cheating?

...isn't sure what's going on.
    Ok as the personal comments and arguments have continued, the thread is now closed.

11. This is the last staff post in this thread. #191
    Originally Posted by T.j View Post (Source)
    Ok as the personal comments and arguments have continued, the thread is now closed.
    While the thread is closed I can post a few comments. We have no intention of preventing murder within the game, that is valid gameplay choice - however there should be consequences for such actions which the game needs some tightening on. For 1.1 the following changes will be in place which will help alleviate these situations:

- Dumbfire missiles are too overpowered - these will be balanced down.
    - Point Defense Turrets shouldn't be able to trigger station response
    - Shield cells too powerful - these will be balanced down
    - Docking will be revoked if you're marked as hostile by the station

We'll continue to monitor and balance as needed and discussion like this is useful for us - without the name calling of course!

Thanks

Michael

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213