Thread: The St. Valentine's Day Regatta

The St. Valentine's Day Regatta

Event Title......... The St. Valentine's Day Regatta
    Event Date.......... 7pm GMT, on Saturday 14th February, 2015
    Event Location...... ZOQUAGSANG
    Event Liaison....... Commander Pallando
    Event Website....... http://elitedangeroustools.info/ValentinesDayRegatta/

Event In-character Description

Speaking today from the Headquarters of the Pilots Federation, Rear Admiral Millington, chief of racing operations, announced the details of this year's St. Valentine's Regatta, one of the most prestigious events on the yearly racing calendar.

"As every pilot knows, the St. Valentine's is a gruelling test of nerve and daring; a headlong dash from one side of inhabited space to the other, that many can enter, but only one can win. In the 37 years of the race's history (excluding 3284, when it was cancelled due to the war of course), this race has never been won by a pilot with less than exemplary skill, and many winners went on to become legends."

Event Out-of-character Description

This is an actual race, with the outcome determined by the players' skill at flying their ships, and there is a real-world prize, a silver trophy, that will be physically posted to the winner. Visit the event website to enter or to find out more.

Registration is now open

A lot of work by a lot of people has been put into preparing this event, over the last few weeks. But more ideas and feedback are always welcome!

We've already had confirmation from several groups that they will be entering teams into the race, but don't be put off if you don't have enough money for a top-of-the-line Asp Explorer ship. There will be a winner announced for each ship type, and skill counts for a lot.

I am looking forward to see all who enter, may the best pilot win.

St Valentine's day in a galaxy ? how ? Only valid on earth, right ? Or all planets have 12 months/365.25 days ?

Originally Posted by sfajardo View Post (Source)
    St Valentine's day in a galaxy ? how ? Only valid on earth, right ? Or all planets have 12 months/365.25 days ?
    I'm guessing, for official business, the Empire and the Federation each use a standardised calendar, based upon their homeworld.

But perhaps it would differer between them? Would that annoy scientists or historians more?

Or you may find it was originally organised by a rich benefactor who has a love for racing and old fables from good old Earth.

Hense using a well known date from humanities past to hold the prestigious event.

It doesn't matter about the federation or the empire as this date predates them all.

From good old Earth, the birthplace of humanity.

Every station in game uses Earth dates and time. Exploration survey's calculate planetary mass using Earth Mass. Gravity is labeled with g while 1g is defined as Earth gravity.

Doesn't seem that far fetched that as humans left Earth they decided on standard units and measures. Sticking to Earth standards in space seems like the best neutral ground that everyone would agree on. Once it's ingrained into every spacer, hardwired into every bit of space-going equipment and coded into all of the software it would seem hard to change---or forget.

No doubt actual planetary colonies would have a local calendar and clock to sync with their planet's cycle. Space is all about business though, and standards matter for business.

As far as the Regatta goes, I would love to participate, but I'm still 60kLy out. Maybe I'll be able to help as a clock watcher or something

Originally Posted by Rekal View Post (Source)
    Every station in game uses Earth dates and time. Exploration survey's calculate planetary mass using Earth Mass. Gravity is labeled with g while 1g is defined as Earth gravity.

Doesn't seem that far fetched that as humans left Earth they decided on standard units and measures. Sticking to Earth standards in space seems like the best neutral ground that everyone would agree on. Once it's ingrained into every spacer, hardwired into every bit of space-going equipment and coded into all of the software it would seem hard to change---or forget.

No doubt actual planetary colonies would have a local calendar and clock to sync with their planet's cycle. Space is all about business though, and standards matter for business.

As far as the Regatta goes, I would love to participate, but I'm still 60kLy out. Maybe I'll be able to help as a clock watcher or something
    You might still make the start of the race, but if not you can help out by all means.

I am a Marshall and I am heading to the core and should hit it on the 3rd February, I will then be skip jumping back to civilisation to help run it.

If you look at the website, you will see what needs doing.

Wish

Dont think my wife will be too impressed if I turn the PC on that night.

Originally Posted by Arthur_two_sheds_Jackson View Post (Source)
    Dont think my wife will be too impressed if I turn the PC on that night.
    I love the game, but I'm not in love with it. Good luck for the race to anyone taking part, it's great to see this kind of community run effort, but I have other things to do with my joystick that night

Originally Posted by Devil's Refugee View Post (Source)
    Good luck for the race to anyone taking part, it's great to see this kind of community run effort
    Thank you!

Originally Posted by Wishblend View Post (Source)
    You might still make the start of the race, but if not you can help out by all means.

I am a Marshall and I am heading to the core and should hit it on the 3rd February, I will then be skip jumping back to civilisation to help run it.

If you look at the website, you will see what needs doing.

Wish
    I'm fairly certain I won't be making it back on time. I'm thinking of volunteering as an assistant marshal though.

I'd really like to see some super cruise racing, but getting all the participants and officials into the same instance seems like too much of a hassle.

Originally Posted by Rekal View Post (Source)
    I'm fairly certain I won't be making it back on time. I'm thinking of volunteering as an assistant marshal though.

I'd really like to see some super cruise racing, but getting all the participants and officials into the same instance seems like too much of a hassle.
    An assistant marshal who can watch the twitch stream and log the times into the database as competitors become visible in the stream as being on the marshal's contact list, would be great! And you wouldn't need to be near civilised space to do it. Or even be logged in.

Registration for the race is now open and people wanting to participate should head to the site and sign up.

http://www.elitedangeroustools.info/...a/register.php

Love this sort of thing.
    +1 rep.

Page 1 of 5 123 Last