View Poll Results: Which Joystick do you currently own/plan on getting?

Voters
3212. You may not vote on this poll
  • Black Widow

47 1.46%
  • Saitek AV8R-03

8 0.25%
  • Saitek F.L.Y. 5

93 2.90%
  • Saitek X52

381 11.86%
  • Saitek X52 Pro

655 20.39%
  • Saitek X55

457 14.23%
  • Saitek X65

45 1.40%
  • Thrustmaster T.Flight Hotas X

656 20.42%
  • Thrustmaster Warthog

364 11.33%
  • Logitech G940

52 1.62%
  • Other ... (Leave details on the comments)

692 21.54%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 8 of 362 FirstFirst ... 367891013 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: The Joystick/Controller discussion thread

Originally Posted by el_tel View Post (Source)
    Does anyone know how to change the icon for the X52 Pro. It just bugs me

It's not a bluddy EggBox controller, it's a beautiful flightstick
    Ha, I know exactly how you feel. 125 for a controller and the least they could do was design a fancy icon for it.

Originally Posted by Quaker View Post (Source)
    Ha, I know exactly how you feel. 125 for a controller and the least they could do was design a fancy icon for it.
    Perhaps with the X55 ?

The Latched clutch mode thingie worked for me as well.

What drivers are people using? I've discovered at least three differeint drivers for the X52 in Windows 7 X64.

-Default drivers installed when you plug it in
    -Drivers you can use from Windows Update
    -Drivers from the saitek web site.

In my (limited) experience the Windows update drivers are the best.

The default drivers are pretty basic and I've seen the saitek website drivers cause massive CPU spikes.

Running 7.0.27.13 here, as displayed in the About box in the control panel.

Not noticed any CPU spiking at all to be honest, but I'll keep an eye out for it.

Saitek X52 Pro / Asus / USB 3.0 compatibility issue

I nearly put this in the alpha forum, where most of the X52 discussion is currently going on, but I figured since a few beta-and-beyond players might have this joystick or be considering one it probably deserves a wider audience. It's not an Elite: Dangerous-specific problem but with so many folk hankering after an X52 Pro it has the potential to be quite prevalent here.

I've just taken delivery of my X52 Pro, which is an absolute monster of a controller, but almost immediately I ran into a problem installing the drivers. It turns out there is a serious compatibility issue under Windows 7 64bit with the X52 Pro and certain Intel xHCI (USB 3.0) drivers. It may or may not be limited to Asus Z87 motherboards but I don't have enough info to make that determination.

I had the exact same experience as the originator of this thread on the Asus support forum, symptoms which are replicated here, here and here.

The interim solution is to turn off xHCI support in the UEFI / BIOS. This will downgrade all USB 3.x ports to USB 2.x. Not a game changer for me personally since I have no USB 3.x devices, but it might not be as acceptable for others. It's also worth noting that one of the linked threads is from 2011, suggesting that this interim solution may become long term

Note that this bug apparently does not affect Windows 8 users. Windows 8 has built-in support for Intel's USB 3.0 chipset and doesn't require the Intel drivers which seem to be the cause of, or at least one contributing factor towards, the compatibility problem.

I hope this is of some use to other X52 Pro users present or future who might come across this problem.

Thanks for the heads up on that as I have just bought a X52pro and running 64bit Win7. +1 rep for you sir.

Most Asus boards, my own included, have 4 USB 3 ports and 10 USB 2 ports.

No need to plonk an x52 and pedals into any USB 3, and certainly no need to fiddle in the BIOS! Just in case you absolutely must use USB 3, installing the Asus AI charger utility fixes this. It's an over current tool to speed up charging accessories, but fixes x52 problems too as it alters the way the system sees USB ports. Give it a try!

I've read of other problems concerning the Asus Z-87 and USB-3 drivers - and not just joysticks, it seems (and not only Asus mobos, either). I have an Asus Z-87 mobo, but it's awaiting the new CPU for the rebuild, so I can't test it yet. Mind you, I only have an old 'stick anyway, so I should be okay.

I have an Asus rampage 4 extreme board, win 7 64 bit and my new x52pro is plugged into the usb 3.0 slot on the top and works fine.

Not to go against the op one bit, just to add some balance to the discussion. I hope those with this issue can utilise the fix.

Originally Posted by Asp Explorer View Post (Source)
    Most Asus boards, my own included, have 4 USB 3 ports and 10 USB 2 ports.
    All handled by the same controller, at least on the latest Z87 boards.

No need to plonk an x52 and pedals into any USB 3,
    Nobody said they had. Did you read the linked forum posts?

installing the Asus AI charger utility fixes this. It's an over current tool to speed up charging accessories, but fixes x52 problems too as it alters the way the system sees USB ports. Give it a try!
    I already have this installed to charge an iPad when the system is on standby. My anecdotal evidence tells me this fixes nothing. The system still hangs on boot if xHCI is enabled and the joystick is connected (to any port) and if the joystick is connected after startup then the configuration utility will hang, and Windows itself will lock up on shutdown.

I could of course have missed something. If you have a link to a resource that explains how the AI Suite can in some way rectify this problem with the X52, please post it.

In the meantime I've found another reference to the problem that suggests it's not limited to Asus boards. The Intel chipset and/or USB drivers seem to be the common factor.

Originally Posted by Jack Schitt View Post (Source)
    My anecdotal evidence tells me this fixes nothing.
    I only have my own anecdotal evidence for this which, unfortunately, does not match yours.

Originally Posted by Jack Schitt View Post (Source)
    All handled by the same controller, at least on the latest Z87 boards.
    Indeed - that's part of the H77's job, after all. Perhaps a BIOS update for your board will help, and the latest Intel .inf files and chipset drivers.

I don't have any links to back up my Ai Charger theory, but as you have said yourself, it changes USB behavior as far as gated current and voltage output when the board is in deep sleep mode, when usual behavior is to shut this off in sleep, and I'd call that a significant change from default. All my stuff works.

USB 3.0 is not necessarily clean downwards compatible to USB 2.0 devices, regardless of whatever the manufacturers say.

There's a reason there are still USB 2.0 ports on mainboards and laptops. And it's not the few cents they can save with that, it's because not every USB 2.0 device is compatible with USB 3.0 controllers.

And it's not limited to Intel chipsets as I'm on a AMD SB950 and there is one device that's only running if I stick it into an USB 2.0 slot.

Thanks for the heads-up, sad to see these issues still arise in 2014.

Edit: so it might be an USB spec error, a common driver problem or device-specific. Dunno.

I have a brand new Asus z87 Gryphon motherboard and a very old X52 (Think 2005 model).

I do not have this problem. I've got it plugged into one of the 4 USB 2 ports.

Is it possible you have the x52 plugged into a different port than what you initially plgged it into? It sounds stupid but Windows enumerates USB devices based on the port and if you plug it into a different port it does the whole hardware detection thing again.

Also, while a USB port is a UB port is a USB port is what is upposed to happen, it isn't correct. Some ports are better than others. It's utterly stupid and moronic, but there it is.

So, things to try other than dropping USB 3 support.
    1. Update the BIOS to your motherboard
    2. Try uninstall the drivers completely and reinstall and only ever use the same USB port.
    3. Don't use the ports on the front of your DESKTOP case. Use the rear ones. The reverse is probably true for laptops.
    4. If you have more than 4 USB 2 ports, fine out which ones are directly conected to the intel chipset and use them. I've found over the years that non intel USB chipsets are decidedly crap. (Same as non intel mass storage chipsets).

Try different drivers. I've found 4 so far.
    1. The default built into windows install media. Not very good
    2. Updated default drivers version 6.something on Windows update
    3. Saitek drivers on the saitek CD.
    4. Saitek drivers on the Saitek website.

In my very limited experience the Windows update version 6 drivers are best.

Best controller/joystick

Hello everyone,

While anxiously waiting for the game's launch (not an alpha/beta player) I'd like to ask for your opinion/advice on the best way to control the spaceship: keyboard, mouse or joystick? If joystick, any good suggestions on what to buy?

FYI, I'll play from my laptop (it's a gamers model so it can handle it).

Thanks,
    Pedro

Most I think would suggest a good stick, preferably a good throttle and stick combo.

In no particular order:

Saitek X52/ X52 Pro
    Saitek X55
    Thrustmaster Warthog
    Thrustmaster T.16000M
    Thrustmaster Hotas X

There are of course many others but I believe these to be the most common, part from the X55 which is a brand new product.

Page 8 of 362 FirstFirst ... 367891013 ... LastLast