Page 1 of 72 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Type 6 - To boldly go

Type 6 - To boldly go

I decided a week or so ago to boldly go where no human has been before – or at the very least, very few.

Just a bit of background first.

I’ve seen loads of epic explorers whoosh off into the black unknown in Asps, Cobras and Sidewinders so I decided to try in a different ship. I garaged my trusty cobra and invested in a not so shiny *drum rolls*

TYPE 6

I immediately ripped everything out of her and kitted out for long jumps. Everything “d” rating except the scanner, fuel tank, FD and fuel scoop. The other thing I cannot stress enough –

Fit a “A “RATED POWER PLANT

Anyone that advises you to go lower in order to increase your jump rate hasn’t spent too many hours flying the “old tinderbox” (the name of my ship ). Yup your jump rate will be reduced a little, but at least you will be able to live to use your 2nd, 3rd and 4th jumps. The “old Tinderbox” can still jump 30.06 fully fueled so I figured losing a bit of range compared to being fried on every jump was the sensible decision to make.

I jumped away from “known space” – had just one bad run in with a pirate, pew pew pew… boost boost boost (oops forgot I was in a type 6)
    *WARNING HEAT CRITICAL*

I won’t bore you with the rest as I am sure you have all been there and read the book. Even with hull down to 69% I decided to strike on out regardless.

Currently I am 3200k out from Sol and plotting a fairly random course which steers clear of the well known nebula. I intend to go to the less fashionable parts of the galaxy – watch this space…..

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Video added by fellow T6 CMDR Mossfoot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=zgXH0VxkKF4

You have to watch it and feel the T6love

beware the Thargoids and the taxes ^^
    When you know that your time is close at hand
    Maybe then youll begin to understand
    Life down there is just a strange illusion.

I went to the horsehead nebula in a T6, its underrated as an exploration ship, the view is better than an adder of hauler and the range is only just shorter than an asp

Originally Posted by Ripster View Post (Source)
    Currently I am 3200k out from Sol and plotting a fairly random course which steers clear of the well known nebula. I intend to go to the less fashionable parts of the galaxy – watch this space…..
    Commander, good luck with your trek, I am also on the galaxy's 'b'-roads as well, see you out there perhaps?
    Kind Regards
    Skybird

Currently piloting: Python "Spacey McSpaceface"
    Currently around and about: floating in space
    Last Faceplant / Death: killed during CG for Sale of the Century

Thanks skybird

Back in control, just wondering if a friday night out, and ciders = safe flight!!!!!

I will find out

4,200 LY's out.

Have got here by jumping, jumping, jumping and jumping. Since my initial brush with the pirate I have had no further mishaps I thank which ever god rules this black empty place and hope he/she/it continues to watch over me.

I have found no-one and for the last 2000ly I have seen no evidence of any other pilot having visited ANY of the hundreds and hundreds of systems I have visited. It's kind of spooky to think I am the first to have flown in some of this space - maybe there have been others but they are now consigned to these systems for ever. I hope I won't be joining them and will get to see "home" again...

I am amazed at how many systems have been so very dull, 1 star, or a star with many Barron planets but this only makes finding amazing systems even more special. The sense of WOW when a water world fills my HUD or a beautiful gas giant fills my entire HUD, made all the more amazing by not seeing them at every hop.

I am still striking out away from all the nebula, I see nothing of any note on my galaxy map for 1000's of LY - I have a course plotted and I am sticking loosely to it, stopping and surveying systems of interest whilst trying to stay alert enough to scoop without damage.

I hope this communication makes it back and will update again as I travel futher away from mankind.

It's very dark out here and I am still very alone.........

4,200 LY's out... <snip>
    I hope this communication makes it back and will update again as I travel futher away from mankind.

It's very dark out here and I am still very alone.........
    The solitude is what appeals to me. There are times when I just take in the roar of the FSD, the sound of witchspace and the howl of stellar winds.
    I don't often get the urge to turn back. When I do, I just think of J.M.Barrie's quote from Peter Pan...

“Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning. ”
    Zenith Ddraiglas - Surveyor - Scientist - Explorer Nadir Ffenics - Outlander Challenger - Imgur album
    ||||||||| TRIPLE ||||||||| ELITE ||||||||| Novice ||||||||| Broker ||||||||| Ranger |||||||||
    "I don't feel homesick, because I'm already at home in the stars."

I explored my first 200 systems with a T6 sure the T6 gets hotter but it won’t take damage until you get it 140% or more and it’s a hell of a lot cheaper to buy and equip.

Very underrated explorer

The only real tangible difference between the T6 and the ASP is 27LY jump range v 33LY for the ASP.

Hurrah for the T6. The OP is wise, it does run awfully hot, so put a decent power plant in there.. However, fit it out well, and it's a wonderful crate for everything except combat

Originally Posted by Biggerjohn View Post (Source)
    The only real tangible difference between the T6 and the ASP is 27LY jump range v 33LY for the ASP.
    The Asp is a fraction over 37LY if you're light and running on fumes.

Originally Posted by Shude View Post (Source)
    The Asp is a fraction over 37LY if you're light and running on fumes.
    Good to know but I have a habit of filling up at every opportunity as I have found myself in patches of dim stars that I haven't wanted to risk Scooping on this far out.

dose any one know what stars you cant scoop on so far I have stuck to stars with large visible chromosphere?

My trusty Type 6 jumps 30.45 when half full, 31.51 when on vapour

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

L, T or Y Class stars are not fuel givers

Credit to Nutter and his exploration guide.

I really like the Type 6. I upgraded to an Asp, and have a Cobra as well, but I miss my Type 6. I will have to get another one at some point, maybe kit it out for exploring. I don't see why it wouldn't make a good explorer. Sure, the view out isn't as clean as some of the others, but the range is fine, and like you said, if you get the right modules, the overheating issue is gone. I've had no problems outrunning pirates in my Type 6, with some exceptions. Hell, I even had turreted pulse lasers at one point when trading, and took out a couple eagles . . . in a Type 6! Two small hard points.

It's not maneuverable, it's not fast, but if you know what to put in it, and what you can get out of it, she'll serve you well.

My trusty Type 6 jumps 30.45 when half full, 31.51 when on vapour

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

L, T or Y Class stars are not fuel givers

Credit to Nutter and his exploration guide.
    Thanks i will go look Nutter up

I just returned from my first deep space exploration and I was quite impressed with how well an upgraded Type 6 is at exploration. I only went 1000LY out this time around, visited 25 or so systems a quarter of which I am now tagged as the discoverer. No earthlikes, but I did find a water world or two, several gas giants, and quite a few metal rich planets.

My load out consisted of a A5 FSD, C5 FS, A3 Power Plant, and D spec on the rest. I also carried heat sink launchers, and AFMU's, though I think I'll dump the HSL the next time out.

Next trip I'm planning on heading out about 10K LY's.

Always good to hear from other Type 6 Explorers

Page 1 of 72 1234511 ... LastLast