Thread: Ace Edge Z-Rotation does not work.

Ace Edge Z-Rotation does not work.

Not sure if anyone else has one of these. I got mine for free when I worked at Namco Networks and its a great flight stick. Unfortunately when I tried to map the yaw controls to the Z-Rotation axis in Elite: Dangerous the ship constantly wants to yaw right and won't yaw left at all. Holding down the left axis will just cause you to stop spinning. Has anyone else had this problem with their flight stick? I tried doing a search for over an hour and a half and I have yet to find anything.

Have you checked your Joystick properties in windows? Your description strangely reminds me of wrong calibration problems I had on my pre-HOTAS sticks.

Originally Posted by Nerull View Post (Source)
    Have you checked your Joystick properties in windows? Your description strangely reminds me of wrong calibration problems I had on my pre-HOTAS sticks.
    Yeah that was the first thing I checked. Thing is, the stick works perfectly for HAWX but for X-Wing the throttle is reversed (pull all the way back for full throttle, forward for stop) and ED everything else works fine. I tried re-calibrating the stick as well and the same issue popped up. From what I read online the Ace Edge has PC compatibility issues with Windows (Its an XBox 360 controller, forgot to mention that) but that was all pre Windows 8.1 which I have so I'm not sure what else to do.

This thread is a little stale, but I'll add my two cents regardless. I can confirm that the Ace-Edge HOTAS flightstick does not function properly in-game. In case the devs are inclined to address this particular model, I'll include my observations. As noted above, Z-Rotation is clamped to the upper half of the axis' range, which according to the diagnostics panel puts it in the ~[128-255] range. Z Axis also has some problems; the diagnostics reports it returning values in the range [0-255], and based on the behavior of the game I'm inclined to think that the Z Axis range is expected to include negative values. I tested this by setting the "forward thrust only" option in game and sure enough, throttling back to 0 (relative to the Z Axis input being reported by diagnostics) reduces the in-game throttle to half the maximum, not zero thrust.

One last note: The built-in Windows test panel correctly scales the input to its defined range...i.e., the axis/rotation bars displayed in the GUI scale correctly, so for instance 128 on the Z Axis range [0-255] displays ~50% of that bar's total length, etc, so it is certainly possible to get this flightstick working with what I would assume to be a minimal amount of changes to the existing code. However, this is a dated controller designed for the Xbox 360 that uses the electrical equivalent of hacks to circumvent I/O bandwidth constraints, from what I understand, so it's not surprising that it would fall way outside of whatever standards there might be today.

interesting set, obviously a Saitek/Madcatz licence deal.

Hope this helps if someone is still with this problem. I bought a Cyborg F.L.Y. 9 stick and I fell in this problem too. The only way I found to use the stick was remapping Z Rotation axis into a virtual joystick. To make this happen I had to download and install vJoy (http://vjoystick.sourceforge.net/) and Universal Joystick Remapper (UJR - http://evilc.com/joomla/articles/9-c...stick-remapper). Then I did these two steps:

1. Create a virtual joystick with the same quantity of axis, buttons and hats than your physical joystick (my case was a Cyborg F.L.Y. 9)
    2. Open UJR, specify the vJoy Stick ID and Physical Stick IDs, and then calibrate each physical axis, buttons and hats.

http://s299.photobucket.com/user/sdz.../vjoy.png.html
    http://s299.photobucket.com/user/sdz...a/ujr.png.html

I'm not very sure why vJoy has different behavior than the physical joystick on Z Rotation axis, but this worked for me.